Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cooling fan constantly running

Liamj1995
聽Share

Any ford mechanics on here? I have a 2013 Ford Focus 1.6 tdci, my cooling fan is constantly on even when I haven't driven the car for days it comes on without any keys in the ignition and when I open the door, I have tried the coolant changing the relay disconnecting and reconnecting, can anyone tell me if they have had the same problem it would be greatly appreciated, sorry if it's already been covered take it easy on me I'm just a boy who loves his car馃槀馃槀

wasn't there something about DPFs and fans, something about it coming on or staying on after the engine is off if its doing a regen?

in saying that, if its coming on after the cars been off for ages when you open the door, that sounds more than a little odd.

Opening the door will turn on some aspects of the car, things like temp sensors, IC, GEM that kinda thing, so opening the door might not be the issue, it might be an ECU issue or sensor problem.聽 get forscan on the case and see if there are any odd traces, if the DPF temp sensor is reading high when the ECU turns on perhaps that will kick in the fan as it does when its in the middle of doing a regen...

whilst no one likes bodging stuff particularly on a car that is not all that old, if it was mine and I could not solve it easily doing it properly I would be tempted to cut into the power wire to the fan, and run some wires from there to a switch that I would install somewhere in the dashboard area. I would then switch it on manually when needed and off when not needed.

I know it's not ideal and may rely on keeping a better eye on the temp guage than you normally would. But I would prefer that than the fan being on most/all of the time.

I realise that you will all be appauled at this idea

• 1 month later...

Thanks, I have taken it to ford to diagnose but they could not find a problem they wanted over 拢1000 to replace the body module, I am refusing to believe it is the body module as they always seem to blame all faults on it, if anyone has or knows anyone with this propel please help 馃槉馃槉

perhaps my suggestion does not seem so unreasonable

12 hours ago, isetta said:

perhaps my suggestion does not seem so unreasonable

Not unreasonable, I have done this on a previous car but it was to turn the fan on when in stationary traffic.

On 31/05/2017 at 1:02 PM, Liamj1995 said:

Thanks, I have taken it to ford to diagnose but they could not find a problem they wanted over 拢1000 to replace the body module, I am refusing to believe it is the body module as they always seem to blame all faults on it, if anyone has or knows anyone with this propel please help 馃槉馃槉

Ford dealers always go for the sledgehammer approach lol. I suggest getting a second opinion (maybe even at a different ford dealer since its free). No way you need to replace the body module for that!聽Bet they are laughing all the way to the bank with repairs like that 馃檮

4 hours ago, Ford_lover38 said:

Ford dealers always go for the sledgehammer approach lol. I suggest getting a second opinion (maybe even at a different ford dealer since its free). No way you need to replace the body module for that!聽Bet they are laughing all the way to the bank with repairs like that 馃檮

Hammer time? Take your pick lol.聽

image.jpeg

• Like 1

On 31/05/2017 at 1:02 PM, Liamj1995 said:

I have taken it to ford to diagnose but they could not find a problem they wanted over 拢1000 to replace the body module,

The cooling fan is powered by a relay in the Front Fuse Box, R12. This in turn is turned on the the ECR (engine control relay, I guess) relay R14. R14 is turned on by the ECM (aka ECU).

The fan controlling module is also controlled by the ECM. Thus to run the fan, R12 needs to be on to supply power to the fan module, and the fan module will then respond to commands from the ECM as to when to run, and what speed. Unless the fan module is faulty and runs all the time it has power.

Thus the items to test are R12, R14, the fan control module, and the ECM maybe.

Where the Body module comes into this, I am not sure. Ok, it gets signals from the doors, but it has no direct control over the fan. The ECM controls both the power to the fan module, and the speed control signal that goes to the fan module.

It could be that the ECM wakes up as soon as a door is opened, ready for use, and turns on R14, which turns on R12, which powers up the fan module. And that the fan module is faulty, and starts the fan with no command from the ECM, or the wire from ECM to fan is broken and the fan is getting invalid signals.

Could it be that Stef's big red hammer could best be used to knock some sense into the Ford dealers? laugh.png

Or is it me barking up the wrong tree unsure.png!.

Hi I had this problem and the connector just needed cleaned.

• 3 years later...
On 6/3/2017 at 5:19 AM, DecFiesta2012 said:

Hi I had this problem and the connector just needed cleaned.

Can you tell me which connector ? thank you

Your not going to get an answer from DecFiesta2012 he last visited this site 17th October 2017.

You would be better to start a new thread and explain your problem in full from the begining and I'm sure you will get some useful help.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In the component box I found if I took out and reconnect component 15 that solved the problem in my fordfocus 09 1.4聽