Do Not Sell My Personal Information

IDS Module Programming

Victory

Hi, so had a friend lend me his VCM II IDS today as i was going update all my modules in the car (built 2011 so i think it needs it and heard good things about updating when you have my engine)

Opted for IPC first and took around 30min then when i came back up mileage was blank and it kept saying loads errors (nearly &&*** my pants)

turned car off and came back on all fine, just had reset some settings like my HLdelay .. noticed a change so must of updated fine, but whats strange is i expected see what others have with is trip 1 and 2 which i haven't got, have i done something wrong or am i mis informed? also why did i get load errors after update it truly freaked me out as the mileage was blank and couldn't start the car due to immobilizer errors etc... Also meant to say it kept throwing up BCM wrong vin etc.. but then seemed sort itself out.

before update

20170428_124021.thumb.jpg.5f9015290454fa389c53900a1d8bb52b.jpg

after update

20170428_134650.thumb.jpg.fac701e7d7164a240b9329d09403660a.jpg

now i want update the rest of the modules but ive held off for min until someone can help me out. 

Also on average how long does it take to update the other modules and should i do them all? main one i want do is the PCM how long does this take?

Thanks

The 2nd trip computer is only active on the MK3.5 instrument cluster (software). The MK3 instrument cluster (software does not support this function.

Updating the PCM should take less time than the instrument cluster. On most PCM types somewhere between 5 and 10 minutes.

Did you use a battery charger during the update? It is highly recommended to connect a battery charger during the software updates. The update process can take a lot of power and causes the battery to drain pretty quick.

10 minutes ago, JW1982 said:

The 2nd trip computer is only active on the MK3.5 instrument cluster (software). The MK3 instrument cluster (software does not support this function.

Updating the PCM should take less time than the instrument cluster. On most PCM types somewhere between 5 and 10 minutes.

Did you use a battery charger during the update? It is highly recommended to connect a battery charger during the software updates. The update process can take a lot of power and causes the battery to drain pretty quick.

ah i see, no worries i cant see what a 2nd trip would be useful for me anyhow just wanted make sure i got the latest update... any idea why i got the errors i am assuming the bcm lost communication with the ipc and thats why the ipc threw the wobbly after the update?

I wasnt aware of the need for a charger !! thank god i asked!!! would this be suitable? http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/battery-chargers-jump-starters/halfords-automatic-battery-charger-vehicles-up-to-2-0l

so wonder if @JW1982 or someone else can help. hooked car up to IDS again today to have a look and just note down the needed updates for the car and check any DTC's one thing that came up when i did the IPC update last week came up again . Do you know what this means please? 

wdwf.thumb.PNG.9c00d895c2d1228157e85cf2f1d3d9bd.PNG

Thanks

quite normal, ive seen that before and doesnt make any difference to the rcm , as for connecting battery charger, the modules need a constant voltage for reprogramming, a voltage drop below 11.6v causes programming to stop causing a non functioning partly programmed module. not a good situation to be in.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, iantt said:

quite normal, ive seen that before and doesnt make any difference to the rcm , as for connecting battery charger, the modules need a constant voltage for reprogramming, a voltage drop below 11.6v causes programming to stop causing a non functioning partly programmed module. not a good situation to be in.

Excellent thanks

lucky you having a friend with ids!

• Like 1

The RCM notification is indeed quite common. My car also has this notification after reprogramming with the IDS system.

Just out of curiousity. Which IDS version do you guys use? I personally use IDS version 105.02A which was released last thursday.

@jw1982 are you using the same vcm and if so how did you get it working on later version?

Yes, I do still use the same VCM 2 (clone).

When I bought this VCM 2 it came with IDS version 96.01. After some tests that confirmed the VCM 2 worked as it should I decided to update to IDS version 98 (which was the latest at that moment). The update went well and afterwards the VCM 2 still worked perfectly. From that moment I was able to regularly update the IDS (and VCM 2) software until Ford released IDS version 102.01. From IDS version 102.01 the well known 3-day trial licence does no longer work. From that moment I used IDS version 101.05 for quite some time. 

Some eBay sellers offer recent IDS versions that are based on VMware images for reasonable prices. However at that moment version 101.05 worked fine for me so there was no real need for me to upgrade. A few weeks ago I found a VMware windows 7 image online with IDS version 105.01. Unfortunately this image turned out to be based on a Russian language windows 7 version. Next to this the image was locked and contained a custom script that did not allow any changes. After a reboot the image always returned to its initial state. it took me quite some time to completely unlock the image and remove the custom scripting. Afterwards I was able to install the English language. Next I was able to remove all unnecessary software and clean the OS. What was left is basically an English windows 7 image with IDS version 105.01 which has a valid licence. However to prevent the valid licence from expiring I had to write my own script which locks the date/time of the image. Last Thursday I updated to IDS version 105.02A without any problems. My VCM 2 works perfectly fine with this version.      

58 minutes ago, JW1982 said:

Yes, I do still use the same VCM 2 (clone).

When I bought this VCM 2 it came with IDS version 96.01. After some tests that confirmed the VCM 2 worked as it should I decided to update to IDS version 98 (which was the latest at that moment). The update went well and afterwards the VCM 2 still worked perfectly. From that moment I was able to regularly update the IDS (and VCM 2) software until Ford released IDS version 102.01. From IDS version 102.01 the well known 3-day trial licence does no longer work. From that moment I used IDS version 101.05 for quite some time. 

Some Ebay sellers offer recent IDS versions that are based on VMware images for reasonable prices. However at that moment version 101.05 worked fine for me so there was no real need for me to upgrade. A few weeks ago I found a VMware windows 7 image online with IDS version 105.01. Unfortunately this image turned out to be based on a Russian language windows 7 version. Next to this the image was locked and contained a custom script that did not allow any changes. After a reboot the image always returned to its initial state. it took me quite some time to completely unlock the image and remove the custom scripting. Afterwards I was able to install the English language. Next I was able to remove all unnecessary software and clean the OS. What was left is basically an English windows 7 image with IDS version 105.01 which has a valid licence. However to prevent the valid licence from expiring I had to write my own script which locks the date/time of the image. Last Thursday I updated to IDS version 105.02A without any problems. My VCM 2 works perfectly fine with this version.      

I am using IDS Version 101.04 at the moment. The VMware image is based on windows 7 and is frozen in time. I also have a snapshot in case it needs rolling back at all.

The image also has Microcat installed on it which is handy. 

All seems to work well.