Do Not Sell My Personal Information

new key programming

jay ward

hi,

I have got a new key for my 55plate focus.

trying to program it to the car and getting error code key cant be programmed. after a lot of swearing I decided to look for different chips.

am I stupid or have I just realised that the plastic wedge that came with key that I presumed was to open the key is actually the chip.

please don't laugh if it is the chip!

thanks, I think

28 minutes ago, jay ward said:

am I stupid or have I just realised that the plastic wedge that came with key that I presumed was to open the key is actually the chip.

I see you have a Mk2 Focus and Forscan with an ELM, and that you gone through the procedure of getting the extended license from the Forscan team.

Some PATS chips are in a glass capsule, but some are encased in plastic. If it is the chip, it should fit into a recess inside the key.

However, the chip does not need to be in the key to work, it uses the RFID system, and just needs to be very close to, and not shielded by any metal from, the ignition lock barrel.

There is also a PATS flash code system, where error messages are flashed out on the PATS led. This can help tell you if there is no chip, or if there is a chip, but it can not be recognised. Googe PATS flash codes.

One word of warning: When dealing with PATS, read the computer screen carefully, and think before activating a function. It is possible to erase all keys, then the car will not start at all until at least two keys have been successfully re-programmed to it. You must make sure you have two valid and different keys that the car can recognise before risking an erase operation.

Cloned keys (available from some (dodgy?) locksmiths) do not count as different keys.

I have put the chip into the key and will be trying again today. I was using it as a wedge to open the key and leaving in doors in the bag. DOH!

will update later

• Like 1

well, well, well

all working. new key programmed straight away. oh what a laugh I had to myself when it completed.

• Like 1

At least you didn't throw the chip away thinking it was superfluous.
The carbon ID4C chips are pretty robust though, a good reason why they superceded the glass versions.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I also need to get a new key as a spare.

Do I need to go to Ford to purchase the Key ?......My car is a focus 1.6 LX year 2005

Thanks

1 hour ago, vijilants said:

Do I need to go to Ford to purchase the Key ?......My car is a focus 1.6 LX year 2005

There are alternatives to a Ford dealer for keys.

There are 3 sections in a Ford key, that are almost independent:

1) The remote control. The fob with the buttons, battery & circuit board. This operates the central locking and the audible alarm. It is very easy to re-programme.

2) The blade. This is a backup for the central locking, and it also fits in the ignition barrel to disengage the steering lock & turn the ignition switch.

3) PATS: This is the immobiliser. It is a little capsule in the key, separate from the remote control. A sensor coil around the ignition lock barrel powers this unit, and determines if it is valid. If so, the car will be allowed to start.

A good auto locksmith can do all three. The PATS programming should be done in the car, using a computer connected to the car. Some places offer to clone a key, that is copy the PATS chip in your existing key. They do this in their office. It is not as good as a proper new PATS chip, but may be ok if quite a lot cheaper and with a good guarantee.

If buying a key from eBay or elsewhere, get it cut by the seller, from a photo, or the code if you have it. Locksmiths do not like cutting other keys, and some cheap keys are of a metal that will damage their cutter. Forscan with an ELM237 adapter can then be used to programme the PATS system, but you need to be good with computers. It also needs a Windows laptop.

One eBay source I saw (no special recommendation!):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-3-BUTTONS-REMOTE-KEY-FORD-FOCUS-MONDEO-C-MAX-FIESTA-CUT-TO-CODE-PHOTO-/252882179879?hash=item3ae0f3d727:g:qZsAAOSw3v5YqJM1

Anyone wanting to replace a broken or worn key can transfer the PATS chip from the old key, and then not worry about PATS programming.

Thank you,

Regarding the code, where do I get that from ?

3 hours ago, vijilants said:

Regarding the code, where do I get that from ?

Apparently it should be on A Card or a Tag with car owners manual folder.

But they rarely seem to survive the 1st owner of a car. I have never seen one.

I guess that is why they offer to do it from a photo. But it would have to be a well lit, sharp, close up photo, I would say.

Tibbe keys are easy to read for the code but laser keys are not.