Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear Wiper Fault on Ford KA mk2

Woster

Hi all

newbie here and looking for some advice. Just driven my car to Asda all fine. I got my bags out the boot went shopping and put that in the boot. I go to leave Asda and run rear wiper comes on... I check to make sure the wiper switch is in the off position, which it is, so I flicked it on and off again and the wiper stopped where ever I switched it back to off. In this case it stopped in the middle of the rear windscreen. If I switch it on it just keeps going and won't stop. 

I've tried to have a look to see if maybe it's the fuses but the owner manual doesn't list fuses for the wipers (as far as I can see). 

My local garage is an evans halshaw place and they've tried to rip me off many a time so don't want to go there. What's the likely cause or can anyone suggest a decent place for me to take it too?

much appreciated for all responses! 

Hi there, MK2 owner myself!

This is new to me although others may be able to help. Seems odd, from what you've described it could be something along the lines of a faulty switch (or dirty) in the rear wiper stick.??? I can't think of much else but might have something like at the window end causing a short circuit or faulty/ corroded wires somewhere along the line causing some kind of fault.

I probably haven't helped much there. Start off by finding the fuse. It should be in the handbook, check the index fuses probably come up a few times in a few different places but read it all since its not a very well thought out booklet compared to my brothers focus. Must have been written by Fiat!

If the fuses are fine, try cleaning the 'stalk' where the switch is to turn on the rear wiper. Not sure what is best, maybe something like keyboard cleaner.

Don't go to Evans Halshaw though. A Facebook group might be more help and worth posting there too if you haven't already :)

EDIT: Having read this post - 

The last comment suggests maybe the actual wiper motor which could be plausible. The other suggestions are useful too. Unfortunately it never got concluded...

On 30/04/2017 at 9:55 PM, TALD said:

Hi there, MK2 owner myself!

This is new to me although others may be able to help. Seems odd, from what you've described it could be something along the lines of a faulty switch (or dirty) in the rear wiper stick.??? I can't think of much else but might have something like at the window end causing a short circuit or faulty/ corroded wires somewhere along the line causing some kind of fault.

I probably haven't helped much there. Start off by finding the fuse. It should be in the handbook, check the index fuses probably come up a few times in a few different places but read it all since its not a very well thought out booklet compared to my brothers focus. Must have been written by Fiat!

If the fuses are fine, try cleaning the 'stalk' where the switch is to turn on the rear wiper. Not sure what is best, maybe something like keyboard cleaner.

Don't go to Evans Halshaw though. A Facebook group might be more help and worth posting there too if you haven't already :)

EDIT: Having read this post - 

The last comment suggests maybe the actual wiper motor which could be plausible. The other suggestions are useful too. Unfortunately it never got concluded...

Hey man. Thanks for the reply. Not a clue what to do about this issue but I called M53 ford instead of Evans halshaw and they want £96 to look at the car for an hour. Holy crap that's a lot of money....

Take it to an little independent if you are wanting to take it to a garage.

Have you tried my suggestions? i.e check fuse, clean the stalk and asked on a facebook group?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi sorry for the late response

A different ford garage wanted £96 up front to have a look with parts on top. That was for the first hour work too. 

Im pretty sure it's something to do with the reverse gear wiper action. From the past couple of weeks when I've tried leaving front window wipers on and going into reverse it's a bit intermittent with automatically switching the reverse wiper on. Again, it stops in the middle of the windscreen- whenever I've taken it out of reverse. Very frustrating. I also can't seem to get the fuses out or work out which fuse is for the rear wiper...

• 3 years later...
On 5/3/2017 at 9:04 PM, Woster said:

Hey man. Thanks for the reply. Not a clue what to do about this issue but I called M53 ford instead of Evans halshaw and they want £96 to look at the car for an hour. Holy crap that's a lot of money....

Hi ya did you eventually find fault with back windscreen wiper as I have got the same fault if so could you please let me know outcome thanks roy

On 4/29/2017 at 10:36 AM, Woster said:

Hi all

newbie here and looking for some advice. Just driven my car to Asda all fine. I got my bags out the boot went shopping and put that in the boot. I go to leave Asda and run rear wiper comes on... I check to make sure the wiper switch is in the off position, which it is, so I flicked it on and off again and the wiper stopped where ever I switched it back to off. In this case it stopped in the middle of the rear windscreen. If I switch it on it just keeps going and won't stop. 

I've tried to have a look to see if maybe it's the fuses but the owner manual doesn't list fuses for the wipers (as far as I can see). 

My local garage is an evans halshaw place and they've tried to rip me off many a time so don't want to go there. What's the likely cause or can anyone suggest a decent place for me to take it too?

much appreciated for all responses! 

• 11 months later...
On 1/14/2021 at 8:31 AM, Roy snell said:

Hi ya did you eventually find fault with back windscreen wiper as I have got the same fault if so could you please let me know outcome thanks roy

Hi, 

fault:  rear wiper would not park and started when ignition was turned on, wiper motor swapped and same fault 

fix: the cable loom between the body and hatch back had a broken cable due to opening and closing over the years , pull the flexi rubber boot down from the hatch and pull the black cable one at a time as it migh have a fracture wire but intact cover so one cable will stretch or be visibly broken - i had a frew with broken insulation and one large cable (heated glass ) , this repaired cable (soldered or crimp connector) fixed the wiper parking issue 

hope this helps! 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club