Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stuck in gear 2006tdci mondeo

georgewainwright1210

Right had a complete new clutch assembly including dmf slave ect

About 18months ago and all was fine then the other day couldnt get any gear for love nor money just wouldn't actually shift . But would select ok with engine off . But engine running wouldn't shift .

Rac came out and by the time they got there it was all working again ( typical ) anyway he suggested it may be the master cylinder behind the pedal as that was the only bit that hadn't been done. So I ended up getting that changed just in case . 1 day later Mrs was driving and it refused to come out of 3rd gear she managed to limp it to the garage ( wouldn't stall when stationary but was bit shaky when not moving and as soon as the brake was released it would creep forward but like an auto does)

Garage have checked the cylinder they replaced and that's fine with no air in it . And has definatly agreed it's well stuck in 3rd gear . They carnt look at it untill middle of next week as they may have to remove the gear box to see what's going on and I do trust this garage as have known they for years .

So has anyone got any ideas as to what it may be as I'm sure the garage will find out themselves but I can mention some faults that it could be before they start stripping it completely. Really annoying as the rest of the car is spot on .

It's a 2.0 tdci mondeo estate 56 plate

Many thanks for any ideas you may have

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

And ideas anyone?
Have read something about the selector cables coming off the joints ? But would that cause it to be totally stuck in gear ?

Yes that would do it, how it's gone well that up,for debate, garage?

On 29/04/2017 at 2:27 PM, georgewainwright1210 said:

it refused to come out of 3rd gear she managed to limp it to the garage ( wouldn't stall when stationary but was bit shaky when not moving and as soon as the brake was released it would creep forward but like an auto does)

I think it has to be the clutch not disengaging fully.

Even a small amount of torque transmitted through the gearbox will jam it in gear, or make it impossible to get into a gear.

A diesel will not stall by this drag, it can give a massive torque out even at idle.

By very careful use of the throttle to exactly match engine rpm to vehicle speed for the current and then the desired gear, it is usually possible to change gear. I have driven cars like this on several occasions with no clutch at all (broken cable).

Distorted pressure plate, damage or dirt in the splines, weak or faulty slave cylinder (& linkage if not concentric), are a few things I can think of. But it is almost certainly a gearbox off (again!) job. Then there may be some argument as to who is responsible, as it is a new clutch.

Right garage carnt look at it properly until tomorrow. Have now got it out if gear But have said it selects gears ok with enine off but once running won't go into gear but with engine off selects fine . Will see tomorrow I suppose but it don't sound hopeful

Oh it's not a brand new clutch ( was when fitted ) and wasn't fitted by the garage the cars at now but it's about 18 months old and possibly covered 7000 miles at most . If it is the clutch the garage has said doubt you will have a leg to stand on . But we will see once we get inside

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club