Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford wet belt

stef123

Ford wet belt - @iantt interval is 125k miles? 

98k on this one lol. 

image.jpeg

4 minutes ago, iantt said:

whats that on? 1.8tdci?

Yep

hope the wet belt on mine lasts longer than that!

I've heard varying comments on them. Most saying around 80-100k although some have been really early failures. 

Biggest cause for failure is being blamed on wrong spec oils being used? Any truth in that? 

Not sure on that , but ford did say the use of engine oil flushing agents attack the coating on the belt.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, iantt said:

Not sure on that , but ford did say the use of engine oil flushing agents attack the coating on the belt.

That's a fair point! Something I'm not a fan of is flushing agents. 

That's the trouble when buying a second hand car with a wet belt. No idea on previous useage of engine flush. I was fortunate with my car , ex Hertz rental car and no way they would spend extra on that.

3 minutes ago, iantt said:

That's the trouble when buying a second hand car with a wet belt. No idea on previous useage of engine flush. I was fortunate with my car , ex Hertz rental car and no way they would spend extra on that.

Haha yes very true! 

I'll just stick to my good old tried N tested chain I think. 

Speaking of chains, I've got a corsa C 1.4 chain and valve stem seals to do next week.

You do a lot of car repairs! At home?

8 hours ago, iantt said:

You do a lot of car repairs! At home?

Mostly. The corsa is getting done at someone's unit. I like to keep busy, I hate sitting in the house lol.

Sounds like you do more at home than I do at work.!! Ha ha

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stef123 said:

Mostly. The corsa is getting done at someone's unit. I like to keep busy, I hate sitting in the house lol.

I'll bear that in mind if I'm ever in Fife... :wink:

• Like 1

I've never done cars at home except for the odd job of family's cars. Even Then I used to take them to work on a sat and fix them in afternoon .
Working on cars/vans all day is enough for me.

• Like 1

I need the clutch doing on my focus this year, do you do collection and delivery service.?

• Like 2

Haha, don't get me wrong I would get fed up of looking at them every day too. 

I guess another reason for guys like yourself would be 2 sets of tools or continually having to take stuff back n forward to work. I keep various tools in various locations but some of my bigger stuff such as engine crane etc is kept in a lockup in a local town. I had forgot to lift my hydraulic Spring compressor to do a front Spring on a mk3 mondeo the other day.. Damn. But I have got a heavy duty type one you wind up with the impact gun which is the same setup with 2 yokes. Because of where the sprig had snapped I couldn't get it in the bit I wanted so had to compress on the next coil. Unfortunately that wasn't enough to completely release the pressure on the top mount :lol: stuff it in going for it anyway, well I did, it ripped the impact gun out my hand and threw it 3ft away and the Spring went about 20ft taking out the coffee cup on its travels :lol::lol: now i can seriously advise that no forum member attempts this but I'd do it again if I had to lol. 

Just bought myself a new toolbox for at home. Could probably fit a mattress in the top of it. Tyre machine next? Need motorbike wheel adaptors too.

Well if your paying the costs of transport I'm sure it could be arranged :lol: 

cost you Jamie lol. 

5 minutes ago, stef123 said:

Haha, don't get me wrong I would get fed up of looking at them every day too. 

Just bought myself a new toolbox for at home. Could probably fit a mattress in the top of it. Tyre machine next? Need motorbike wheel adaptors too.

Well if your paying the costs of transport I'm sure it could be arranged :lol: 

cost you Jamie lol. 

Haha, well the 405's timing belt is due replacement in a couple of years and I think I'd trust you more than the local garages!! 

The best solution would be to learn to do it myself but thanks to my anxiety there's no way I would tackle something as serious as that on my own...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jmurray01 said:

Haha, well the 405's timing belt is due replacement in a couple of years and I think I'd trust you more than the local garages!! 

The best solution would be to learn to do it myself but thanks to my anxiety there's no way I would tackle something as serious as that on my own...

I'm a bit far for that though Jamie? lol.

Never get yourself down on your own skills, let's be honest, no man was born a mechanic right? Most jobs to a lot of folk now are let down by not having the tools - so many jobs need special tools. 

6 minutes ago, stef123 said:

I'm a bit far for that though Jamie? lol.

Never get yourself down on your own skills, let's be honest, no man was born a mechanic right? Most jobs to a lot of folk now are let down by not having the tools - so many jobs need special tools. 

That's true.  I managed to replace the glow plugs (well, 3 out of 4!) easily enough, but the job was made a lot harder by the fact I only had basic tools and wasn't confident stripping more parts off than necessary. 

Once we get moved to a house with off-road parking I may invest in some better tools and see if I can attempt it!!