Do Not Sell My Personal Information

HELP! Heater Blower

Dave.813

Hi,

I desperately need some help here. I have a 60 plate Mondeo MK4.5. The problem I have is with the heater blowers. When I bought the car they weren't working so I reported it to the garage I bought the car from, he said "Yeah, it's the relay, I know about it and I'll fix it" Anyway, cutting a long story short I recently sent it into to a friend of a friend thinking I needed a new alternator, turns out the battery had been drained because the heater relay had been soldered to make a permanent bridge, which was arcing and causing the blower motor to give a quick burst of air every couple of minutes after the engine had been turned off. After changing the relay the blower motor will no longer work, bearing in mind EVERYTHING worked perfectly before changing the relay that had been bridged (Apart from the bursts of air). After trying with two more relays I still get nothing. All pin connectors have been tested and they're in perfect working order. The heater resistor has been replaced, all the controls are working. The climate control self diagnosis is displaying a fault 9069 or 90b9.

Anybody any idea's what could be happening? My friend spoke to a friend of his who happens to be an auto spark and he thinks it's possible that its an ignition earth somewhere.

Have you looked at the ford online manuals?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It looks like error 90B9 relates to 'circuit of blower control module faulty'

Go to Pinpoint test B on the following link. I have no idea what it means but this is what a google search has thrown up.

http://workshop-manuals.com/ford/mondeo_2007.5_02.2007/mechanical_repairs/4_electrical/412_climate_control_system/412-00_climate_control_system_general_information/diagnosis_and_testing/climate_control_system/#G927142p2

• Like 2

Thank you Jonro, I've actually been looking for something like this, but didn't have any luck finding it. I'll give it a go and report back.

• Like 1

Sometimes it can just be a case of wording when you type into google. That's what the forum is here for though [emoji106]

• Like 1

Yeah, that's why I joined. I figured if I can't find something online that somebody will know something or point me in the right direction. Although I'm still confused as to why everything worked perfectly with the bridged relay? Any idea's?

• Like 1

7ac906d1fa806b9e83bb01b52b9f9210.jpgccf0de2fed8b73e72fba0af51f79be03.jpg

That's the modified relay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I genuinely have no idea. Who modified the relay, was it the garage? If you go back to the garage would they help/care? Lastly, have you tried putting the modified relay back in and see it things work again? If you have and it does then I don't know what it means but there has to be more to that relay than a straightforward mod. Is it a modified OEM relay, if not does it have any markings on it to identify it?

Yeah it's OEM. If I drop the modified relay back in everything works perfectly. Except it gives a burst of air every minute of so after turning the engine off which drains and damages the battery. Once it's removed, the system works but no matter work speed the blowers set to it won't blow. The resistor has been replaced too.

have you followed the diagnostic tests as per the earlier link?

No not yet. I'll get my friend to do it.

While it is a bit of a mystery to me how the bridged relay made it 'sort of' work the bigger mystery is why you don't just take it back to the selling garage and just say 'Well fix it then'.

The only thing that I can think of with the bridged relay is that the relevant control unit is driving the motor directly rather than using the relay at all and I'm not sure why this nearly works but I wouldn't be turning this up to full just in case (leave blowers on low) nor am I clear why it blows every so often with the ignition switched off.

I bought the car in February 2016. It only had a six month limited warranty. Had it been inside that period or had I know then I would have taken it back. I just took their word for it as the heater and air on worked on every setting.

I genuinely have no idea. Who modified the relay, was it the garage? If you go back to the garage would they help/care? Lastly, have you tried putting the modified relay back in and see it things work again? If you have and it does then I don't know what it means but there has to be more to that relay than a straightforward mod. Is it a modified OEM relay, if not does it have any markings on it to identify it?

Sorry Jonro, we tried putting the modded relay back in and everything works as it did. We also took a second relay casing off and they're exactly the same multipurpose relays minus the solder. I really don't know what's going on but he mechanic friend and his auto spark friend are going to look into it together. I doubt they'll need it but I'll pass on the manual you have linked too. Thanks for that by the way.

• Like 2

It's a mystery as to why the soldered relay works, of sorts and why an untouched one doesn't. I hope you get to the bottom of it and it's a simple fix. Good luck, let us know what you find [emoji16]

I know. I even spoke to a ford technician and he's never heard of this happening either which turned my stomach as I'm probably looking at an expensive repair or a work around. As soon as it's sorted, I'll post what the problem is and what the fix is, or what has been done to get it working as it should.

• Like 1

Would a scrappy have anything that you could use?

It's difficult finding a Mondeo at the right year with the parts. Every Mondeo 2010/11-14 has been stripped. It's my daughters birthday tomorrow so I'm not touching the car until after that but once it's started everything will be striped and tested step by step until a problems found.

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

Well, despite his promise to update us with the resolution (if any) he's not been on the forum for 2 years. 

• Haha 2

• 8 months later...

Hi

I have the exact same problem. Any thoughts on what could be the fix? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. So the mechanic had wired the blower motor to a hard positive rather than the ignition wire. That’s why it was giving bursts even when ignition was off.