Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will this be a write off?

Ok guys bit of an odd post, fresh from this morning on the M4 my dad's 13 plate focus was side swiped at 65mph sending us into the barrier, I'd like to point out that the "nasty lad" (other words preffered) decided he didn't want to stop whilst watching us smash into the barrier.

Me and my dad are ok, just a little shakey.

My question is from the pictures attached does anyone have any knowledge on whether or not this will be a write off, personally I don't think so.

Damage is: 2 nearside doors, 2 front wings and a rear nearside wing. Cosmetic damage only surely?

Car has only done 17,000.

Cheers

Loftie

1493534462256.jpg1493534485063.jpg

The spare wheel suggests that the wheel was also seriously damaged. If this is the case there may also be damage to the suspension. In case on or more wheels are damaged they also need to be replaced (or repaired). 

Next to the damage you mentioned the front bumper does also not line up properly. This is usually caused by broken mounting points of the front bumper. In this case the front bumper will also need to be replaced.

Personally I do not think it will be written off but it may be close. 

hows the B pillar? between the two doors. looks like the NSR quarter panel is screwed as well.

I'd be more concerned about the damage you can't see. At those speeds there is every chance it's twisted the chassis.

A write off usually happens if cost of repair is more than car value.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

As Wilco said From what we can see, its going to be pretty close when you factor in parts paint and labour but as Alex said its what we cant see that matters, If that B pillar is bent then there is some serious structural integrity problems, plus suspension, twisting. :( did you get the plates? got a dash cam?

I got pushed sideways down a motorway by a HGV. Aviva clearly wanted to write it off from my description but I insisted I didn't want that to happen.

although you won't change their mind if it's not even close, you can pressure them. So if you want it repaired - make sure you let them know.

Write off, it's not just the cost of repair, it's cost of storage, hire car, value of car. I've seen cars with less damage and newer that were written off.

Thanks for the replied people. Can't see any damage to the B pillar as far as I can see but as you say it might not be obvious so to say. Didn't get the plates, all happened so quick by the time we were in the barrier the car was long gone and sods law the one time my dad doesn't plug his dash cam in something happens!
Hoping to get some footage from the cameras along the M4, there was one just as our car came to a stop so hopefully it caught the other car continuing on.

Tracking seems to be fine when driving after. No shaking of the steering wheel and no pulling, so that's a positive I guess?

Will give the car it's due for the emergency assistance though, contacted the police immediately and put the car into crash mode.

Off to the police station now, Will find out the outcome and keep you all updated.
Again thank you for the replies.

sadly i think they may write that off. 

I recently had two non fault accidents in a week one damaged my drivers door and scratch down the passenger side to the rear wheel arch.

the second was new wheel front bumper fender wing and loads other suspension and support parts..

all in all cost insurance company 4.5k

its the paint and labour that is the major costs i am afraid. Only reason mine wasnt written off is it was two separate incidents.

• 3 weeks later...

Little update peeps, car wasn't a write off (was close) but is going to cost around 4k to fix.
Police have been absolutely useless, no attempt to obtain footage along that stretch of the M4 to catch the guy and not even a courtesy call to make sure we are doing ok, but hey ho.

Anyway, thanks for all the comments.

Loftie.

Sounds about right I had a car written off about 6 years ago stupid gorl was texting at the time but police did nothing 

even when there is CCTV covering incidents eg in supermarket car parks, companies start going on about data protection act which seems to be a catch all excuse for 'we can't be bothered to offer any assistance'

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club