Do Not Sell My Personal Information

dashboard update

caloyski

i got my fiesta 1.4 duratec last september.

basic trim (ambient) and ever since i got my fiesta i've been wanting to change my center console into something unique other than being black... titanium have their consoles as silver in color. but mine, i want it to be different. so 2 weeks after getting my car, i was able to buy a CF vinyl from some freelance businessman. but my problem was since my car was just newly released in this country, nobody has the knowledge yet to dismantle everything... so i went online and took a research on fiesta customization.

and after having some time during the holidays, i finally got to take out everything... and install the CF vinyl myself.. (of course, i made a research on the web also on how to install a vinyl properly) please check out the pictures. all comment and suggestions are welcome.

Sorry i forgot to take the "before" photos. but it used to have plain black plastic appearance.

let your imaginations play, guys... :)

DSC_3298.jpg

DSC_3299.jpg

DSC_3303.jpg

DSC_3304.jpg

Let me be the first to say WOW!!

That looks amazing! I would love to give this ago myself as i have a little bit of experience with vinyl etc. Just scared of taking everything out :)

Could you link us to the the place where you found how to take it all apart because im sure there will be more people wanting to do this now!

Let me be the first to say WOW!!

That looks amazing! I would love to give this ago myself as i have a little bit of experience with vinyl etc. Just scared of taking everything out :)

Could you link us to the the place where you found how to take it all apart because im sure there will be more people wanting to do this now!

Thanks nipz!

i was scared too... but i dont want to waste my vinyl...hehehe so i took the risk. thanks to the links.

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/index...art=#entry21379

there more links out there.. especially in http://www.fiesta-ka-forum.de/fiesta-mk7/ but the language there is german. good thing i had language translator in my mac.

i'll post more links as soon as i find it.

next update, maybe the ambient lights. already put bulbs on the sockets. but im still waiting for the line lights that i ordered.i will be putting it in the lining above the glove box. because my fiesta didn't come with ambient lighting..

i'll post more pix soon...

Thanks nipz!

i was scared too... but i dont want to waste my vinyl...hehehe so i took the risk. thanks to the links.

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/index...art=#entry21379

there more links out there.. especially in http://www.fiesta-ka-forum.de/fiesta-mk7/ but the language there is german. good thing i had language translator in my mac.

i'll post more links as soon as i find it.

next update, maybe the ambient lights. already put bulbs on the sockets. but im still waiting for the line lights that i ordered.i will be putting it in the lining above the glove box. because my fiesta didn't come with ambient lighting..

i'll post more pix soon...

so your adding your own ambient lighting? you MUST make a guide as i'd love some ambient lighting on my zetec s to go with my doorsills :lol:

Amazing! B)

This looks REALLY good - much better finish on yours than the standard Ford fake-CF on my Focus ST console :)

It looks beautiful. But what's the little drawer over the climate controls? A small place for a mobile phone or CDs? And is it standard on every version of Fiestas in the UK? We don't have that little detail here...

It looks beautiful. But what's the little drawer over the climate controls? A small place for a mobile phone or CDs? And is it standard on every version of Fiestas in the UK? We don't have that little detail here...

See this thread Bagheera ;) http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/index...?showtopic=8945

Looks really nice :) Do you have anymore pics of your Dubai spec Mk7 that you could post? Purely to compare to our version :P

Cool, good work. Did you modify the flap for the small compartment yourself or did it come like that from the factory?

i modified it myself.. that compartment was tightly locked when i tried to open it trying to find out how to take out the radio.

see this link:

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/index...8945&st=105

Looks really nice :) Do you have anymore pics of your Dubai spec Mk7 that you could post? Purely to compare to our version :P

ok, i'll take more photos as soon as get more time..hehehe but i don't think they have 3 door here in dubai.. and they have 3 trim options: ambient, trend and titanium only...

love to see other bits done to match, door handles, glove box handle, bezels to the heater blowers, the dash round the clocks...as it is something I considered!

Nice :)

love to see other bits done to match, door handles, glove box handle, bezels to the heater blowers, the dash round the clocks...as it is something I considered!

Nice :)

yeah, i'm also planing to match all accents in the interior. but the thing is, i ran out of CF vinyl.. have to purchase more.

and also i just can't find any instruction on how to remove the guage hoods.. probably i'll be workin on it after my vacation back in the philippines.. by march probably..

Apparently, it's so pointless of Ford not to use a finger recess to open it and expect people to discover and say "Eureka"! And the way to open it, the piece seems to be prone to be broken with a slight touch of a screwdriver. It may screw it as name suggests...

Apparently, it's so pointless of Ford not to use a finger recess to open it and expect people to discover and say "Eureka"! And the way to open it, the piece seems to be prone to be broken with a slight touch of a screwdriver. It may screw it as name suggests...

ho ho ho!

ho ho ho!

Wanted to make a joke, and it turned out to be harsh language. :huh:

very nice,looks loads better than the old style sticky stuff you used to be able to buy

• 1 year later...

A 2011 update on covering the plastic surrounds of the radio and climate controls with black 3M Di-Noc vinyl.

Impressed with the original poster's effort, I just did this to my Fiesta Mk 7 Zetec. My surrounds were silver, not black.

I found it pretty easy to do and it looks really good.

Easing off the plastic components needed some care and some force - I found the clips were very stiff - especially those on the top screen surround where you also need to take care not to bash the windscreen.

The CD/radio/air-vent surround popped off easily enough after removing the four screws, but the secret compartment cover had to come off at the same time. My compartment cover had no bottom hinge - it had a central clip, two rubber buffers at the top and also two moulded plastic clips inside near the top. It also had a sort of molded clip on the bottom edge. After covering, it snapped back in OK and is holding securely - you need to make sure that the clips re-engage. I don't intend to use it.

To remove the climate control surround I had to prise off the 'chrome' gear shift (auto) surround, and then the casing around it, so I could get a good pull on the bottom of the surround below the little cubbyhole.

Covering the three parts with the Di-Noc was pretty simple, although the CD/Radio/Air-vent surround is a complicated shape to work with. Took me some time to get an even finish, but the material is magic they way it softens and stretches to allow you to form it round shapes and curves. I didn't use any primer so as to allow easy removal. If the Di-Noc begins to lift off, I shall re-cover using a primer.

After I finished I noticed a speck of silver showing through on one inside corner where I had slit the Di-Noc a bit too far, so I dabbed it with a bit of water-based Plasti-Kote flat black enamel paint (from B&Q).

Everything clipped back in OK, but I needed to be careful to make sure the clips and the plastic tabs lined up OK before forcing it all together because the first time I tried it one tab bent instead of entering its slot (luckily it bent back straight OK).

I'm very pleased with the result. It will be interesting to see how well the Di-Noc vinyl wears and adheres.

Tony

Photo of my audio/cd/airvents surround (originally silver) after applying the Di-Noc.

post-24094-0-58496500-1358860798_thumb.j

I got the Di-Noc from Underground Graphics. After seeing this photo they have suggested that this kind of work is really pushing the limits of the Di-Noc, and for items this complex using the primer WP-3000 to increase the adhesive at the edges is worth considering.

They also suggested that on complicated parts like this I might want to try the 3M Series 1080 Carbon Fibre, as it's much thinner and easier to work with and also has the air release channels on. It is a different pattern though and has a gloss finish.

Their comments have got me worried that this may lift off round the edges at sometime. I'll let you know....

Tony

looks amazing, i have been reserching this mod for some time, just waiting to get my car delivered now before i try it. you have done a very good job of it.

how much of the vynil did yo order? just so i have a rough size.

how long did it take you to do the parts?

looks amazing, i have been reserching this mod for some time, just waiting to get my car delivered now before i try it. you have done a very good job of it.

how much of the vynil did yo order? just so i have a rough size.

how long did it take you to do the parts?

I got a sheet 60cm x 120cm which would be enough to do all three pieces (audio/cd/air vents surround, secret compartment cover (inside and out) and climate controls surround) twice, with enough left over for the air vent bezels and possibly the door handles. You need to allow enough excess to just overlap edges but not by too much else you risk covering tabs and little plastic nodes on the back of some areas that act as locating guides e.g. for the air vents. (The L and R air vent modules and the audio controls are held on to the surround with screws).

post-24094-0-36463300-1358860904_thumb.j

I think it was about two hours... quite fiddly, heating and moulding and trimming - but not too difficult and quite enjoyable!

I black painted the extreme inside flat edges of the CD slot because they are relatively wide and the width of the Di-Noc covering the slot wouldn't stretch right across it when slit and bent inwards. I could have added seperate pieces of Di-Noc, but it is only the very inside edge of the floor of the slot so doesn't show.

Check out on-line videos for tips on cutting out the 'holes' and avoiding bunching on inside and outside corners.

thanks very much :) cant wait to get my car now so i can start putting my bits on it that ive bought.

i will let you know how i get on with it all. hopefuly it will look as good as yours

It wont peel off the edges as you should have folded a decent amount underneath...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club