Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alarm keeps going off

Victory

so since i got the car back from the bodyshop the alarm has been going off intermittently. The only two things they repaired that would effect this would be the bonnet and the drivers door.

to save me having take it back does anyone have any suggestions on what to look at to troubleshoot? the neighbours are going to complain soon!

Though i think it may have to go back anyway as it looks like the brand new Windscreen Washer Bottle Water Reservoir is leaking!! and it looks like the bonnet has a small 6 inch crease along the front about 3 inches back in the middle must have been from the impact. new bonnet needed? if so cant see them liking that!

Also if you see at the front there is a rubber bumper strip it keeps popping out of the holes! 

also can you tell me when you shut the bonnet do you need slam it down or should it just push down.. just it doesn't close properly unless i let it drop down.

20170430_193412.jpg

Could be the door or bonnet closed sensor which is causing you the problem.

When you drive it do you occasionally get a door open warning too?

I had this issue a while after replacing a door and one of the wires in the door harness had come loose so it wasn't always making a connection. Once the wire was properly seated in the harness everything was fine.

As for shutting the bonnet... on my Mk2 Focus and Mk7.5 Fiesta both of them need to be dropped in order to shut them.

4 minutes ago, Dan P said:

Could be the door or bonnet closed sensor which is causing you the problem.

When you drive it do you occasionally get a door open warning too?

thanks, any idea where it is, it must be the bonnet as the day after i picked the car up the car said the bonnet was open while driving, after opening it and closing it i havent had this warning again though but as i say the alarm keeps going off.

The bonnet lock has a microswitch that is mounted onto the bonnet lock mechanism. The microswitch has 2 locating tabs and one retaining tab that holds it in place.

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor ford courier bonnet lock aliexpress

The switch closes the circuit when the bonnet is closed. When the bonnet is open there is an open circuit. If the switch is faulty it can be temporarily disabled to prevent the alarm from going off by disconnecting the connector and bridging the wires of the connector (for example by using a paperclip).

You should inspect the bonnet lock for any damage. A slightly bend bonnet lock for example can be the cause of the alarm going off. If the bonnet lock is damaged/bent it can also be a sign of any more damage to the car.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JW1982 said:

The bonnet lock has a microswitch that is mounted onto the bonnet lock mechanism. The microswitch has 2 locating tabs and one retaining tab that holds it in place.

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor ford courier bonnet lock aliexpress

The switch closes the circuit when the bonnet is closed. When the bonnet is open there is an open circuit. If the switch is faulty it can be temporarily disabled to prevent the alarm from going off by disconnecting the connector and bridging the wires of the connector (for example by using a paperclip).

You should inspect the bonnet lock for any damage. A slightly bend bonnet lock for example can be the cause of the alarm going off. If the bonnet lock is damaged/bent it can also be a sign of any more damage to the car.

great thanks! i will check this tomorrow, here's hoping its simple fix

Re closing the bonnet, my Mk 2.5 manual says 20-30cm (8-12 ins) My bonnet only needs half that and still sounds like I'm slamming it.

Re the bonnet alarm, my dear departed Mk3 Mondeo had the same problem and I shorted out the switch as Wilco describes above. I don't know if it's the same on the Focus but advice on another forum (Talkford) warned that the front crash sensor for the airbag was irritatingly close to the bonnet alarm connector and that care should be taken a) not to short the wrong pair of wires and b) that to do so might set off the airbag. Apologies if all that isn't relevant here.

I think you should take it back to be sorted really for all the problems, especially the crease in the bonnet which could be the cause of the alarm problem. If you tinker with it they might refuse to even look at it again.

That yellow bit of kit isn't a grown-up bonnet release is it? Don't tell me Ford has finally seen sense and abandoned the daft key-behind-the-badge idea?!

12 hours ago, trailertrash said:

That yellow bit of kit isn't a grown-up bonnet release is it? Don't tell me Ford has finally seen sense and abandoned the daft key-behind-the-badge idea?!

Yep! The Mk3 (& Mk3.5, presumably) is fitted with a conventional bonnet release with a lever in the passenger footwell.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, mjt said:

Yep! The Mk3 (& Mk3.5, presumably) is fitted with a conventional bonnet release with a lever in the passenger footwell.

Yep the MK3.5 has the lever in the footwell.

well i pulled the plugs out on the bonnet lock and re seated them and so far alarm hasn't gone off. so i am hoping that has done the trick.

The crease in the bumper seems to have vanished so i am wondering if it was my fault when i pushed the bumper down and its popped out now.. not sure

Windscreen Washer Bottle Water Reservoir i cannot decide if it is leaking or if its when i filling it up there is still water collected at the bottom when i overflowed will just have keep eye on it for a bit.

Just to add, the car will log the alarm trigger. I don't know if Forscan can pick it up, I know a dealer can with their equipment.

My dad had to have his bonnet latch/switch replaced because the alarm used to go off a few minutes after locking the car with a hot engine. New switch sorted it.

1 minute ago, alexp999 said:

Just to add, the car will log the alarm trigger. I don't know if Forscan can pick it up, I know a dealer can with their equipment.

My dad had to have his bonnet latch/switch replaced because the alarm used to go off a few minutes after locking the car with a hot engine. New switch sorted it.

ah thanks for that i hadnt realised that! i have IDS so i will look at that later and see what it has logged.. cheers

Re the washer bottle 'leak' (?) I think there's an overflow, presumably to allow for expansion

so leak has stopped so i think your spot on there @trailertrash

does anyone know how to check for the alarm triggers on IDS or Focccus please? so i can confirm what is setting the alarm off!

I don't think there's an overflow. It's probably a leak where the filler tube fits into the reservoir so it will stop once the level gets below the bottom of the tube.

• 3 years later...

I have the same issue with my ‘08 model.

as listed above, I do occasionally have the ‘bonnet open’ warning flashing on and off, though somewhat rare.

bc0c5d69f7fb3c1a68bd24bfc1efd999.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• 9 months later...

Car alarm kept going off at random times. Wasn't bonnet sensor or door sensor. Disconnected tailgate lock, bingo! Replaced tailgate lock from gjjm parts (under £30). Happy days!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club