Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bi turbo diesel

Mazzie

2 hours ago, Hamster said:

To 'get it' drive one with 'it' and you'll never drive without 'it' again.

As I seldom rev above 2000 rpm I doubt it!  

As I said, each to his own. I gave up on my "boy racer" urges a couple of decades ago when switched from petrol to diesel:smile:

Whilst I have no reason to have to justify previous posts, I think a bit of clarification is need here.

Many people who fit 'tuning boxes' are not 'boy' racers. The market for these devices was largely created by exactly the opposite. Old, wrinkly, crusty, mobile home drivers. It's a well established fact that most manufacturers err on the cautious side when refining their diesels. For whatever reason there is always a margin for a bit of an improvement in day to day performance which brings the added advantage of increasing your MPG.

Mobile homes are generally diesel and notoriously under powered, given the increased weight of the home on the back. As previously said, a tuning box or a SuperChips remap just increases the fuel pressure in a controlled way. This gives larger vehicles a better feel when driving. Particularly the Ford Auto (Not even a true auto as it's a 'PowerShift') The benefits are increased performance for the same effort, hence the better driving feel and better MPG because the engine works less to give the same performance.

Mobile home'ers were some of the first adopters of this technology. As a general rule people see an extra 3-4 MPG, not a lot, but noticeable on a tank full, and significant over the life of a vehicle.

If a boy racer wants a fast chavvy car, he or she (bit of gender confusion there) they are not going to go for a lumbering 2.0 TDCi Euro 6 Emission Ford Edge. They are more likely to drive a turquoise Renault Clio with the suspension too low. Generally, you can't chip a petrol Clio. (You can but its too complicated for a forum post).

I would be more worried about your, not going above 2000 RPM, statement. This driving style is not good for your DPF. Modern Diesels need a bit of a blast plus a long run occasionally to get the DPF system  to correctly regenerate.

If you actually do it, pootling around under 2000 RPM is no good, and may actually damage your car.

For a longer explanation on Euro 6, DPF and or PowerShift (DSG) Gearboxes, just ask.

H

No justification needed and no offence intended.

I didn't say I never go above 2000 rpm I just don't do it on every gear change and often miss a gear out on the way up.  I am fully aware of the requirement for DPF regen and a quick look in the manual states:

• Drive your vehicle in more favorable conditions, which you will find at higher vehicle speeds in normal driving, on a main road or freeway for a minimum of 20 minutes. This drive may include short stops that will not affect the regeneration process.
  • Avoid prolonged idling and always observe speed limits and road conditions.
  • Do not switch the ignition off.
  • Select a suitable gear to ideally maintain engine speed between 1500 and 3000 RPM.

and as I do a lot of miles on motorways (11000 in last 6 months in the Edge) and at 70mph the engine is at 2000rpm that is well inside the figures quoted above from the manual so my 2000 rpm "pootling" will not only not damage my engine it will also not damage my clean licence.  And as for saving a couple of MPG it will take an awful lot of miles to break even of the £2-300 for the remap and that is assuming no insurance premium increase on top.

As I said, each to their own and now I'm going to pootle off and say no more on the subject.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club