Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Putting timing belt on

JayG90

Im having trouble getting the timing belt on. I've locked the camshafts, cam pulleys and crankshaft. But when I go to put the belt on, the teeth on the belt is lining up with the inlet camshaft pulley. Any one have any suggestions to get this tooth up slightly? If I put the tooth on the belt 1 down the belt is really loose. 

What engine is this on? 

• Like 1

Sorry 1.6 zetec s 2011. I can get it to go on nicely it move away from the crank pin SLIGHTLY but obviously going to knock it out of time then isn't it? 

If this is like the older 1.6 engines you need to loosen the camshaft pulleys (and replace the bolts). 

• Like 2

With the camshaft pulleys loose, how would i set them to be timed as they're gonna move slightly or would I turn both very slightly and have them locked but not directly facing upwards?

IMG_1519.jpg

With crank sprocket on and nipped up, you need the cam sprockets loose - hold them and counter the torque of undoing the bolts. Replace the bolts and leave loose, fit the belt and release the tensioner - this will allow the belts to turn the pulleys and perfect timing

• Like 1

You've got to lock the cams, loosen the cam pulleys and install the belt 

You have to replace the Cam pulley bolts too as well as the crank Bolt. As above, make sure you hold the pulleys whilst undoing and tightening or you're putting all that stress on the camshafts 

Thanks guys, I'll hopefully get this done over weekend. 

So when I put the cam belt around the cam pulleys, should I keep the crankshaft pin in but allow it to move slightly so when the tensioner is released it'll touch the pin? Allowing the crank and camshaft pulleys in the correct place? 

You should have the crankshaft pin fitted but do not move the crankshaft, leave it touching the pin. 

Your new timing kit should have instruction with it, follow them exactly and that's all there is to it

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club