Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best dashcams?

Taylor22

As title suggests im looking for a good dash cam, I need to record both front and back and would prefer one that records while you're parked up/ comes on if someone hits you while you're parked. 

Also where can you hard wire into if your camera is at the back windscreen? 

Thinkware f770 is a capable dashcam only negative is the price at around £250

Agreed. The Thinkware f770 has front and rear cameras. The rear camera is connected to the front via  a lead which also supplies the current.

It also has speed camera notifications with speed limit.  The speed camera warnings are good though, even warns of red light cameras and mobile speed camera areas. If you want them there is also frontal collision warning and lane wandering. I found these 2 things annoying so have not enabled them.

The downside to your question is that although the camera has parking mode with impact and motion detection it does take power and must be hardwired. Not a real problem. but what is a problem is that the parking mode cuts off after 48 hours so not much use if you leave your car  at a long stay carpark and it will cut off if the battery voltage drops below 12.3 volts. I don't think I have seen the led in parking mode on for more the 24 hours..

There is not  screen with this camera but the content can be viewed and and downloaded onto a IOS ot Android smart phone or tablet. Do you really need to view your drive whilst you are driving it.?

I've had cheaper cameras that have not lasted long or lacked some feature or other but this seems to fill the most of what I want.

Because of it's short parking mode feature, I'd give this camera 9 out of 10.

https://thinkwaredashcam.uk/product/thinkware-dash-cam-f770/

• Like 1

I recently purchased a Junsun dash cam off amazon, with rear cam that can double as a reversing cam

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Car-Vehicle-Electronics/Junsun-Support-Automatic-Recording-Detection-Parking-Monitoring/B01HSVLX3G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1494099660&sr=8-1&keywords=junsun+dash+cam

at under £63,it represents very god value for money. As a retired photographer I can confirm that you get excellent front camera images with very wide angle. The rear camera is also adequate. Setting up is easy my only quibble is that I found the window mount set at the top of the screen still sets the camera rather low (for my use anyway) but that may not be a problem if you need to use the good, clear screen for reversing while driving. The camera is a good heavy-ish metal - no flimsy plastic here! It seems built to last and although it states max 32gb micro SD card, it will cope with a 64gb. Recording of the front an rear cameras together each are saved as separate files on the card. Still photos are also excellent. If you want to record yourself swearing at other road users, you'll find the microphone (which can be switched off) is very sensitive (advise, don't eat beans before driving!).

• Like 1

Get road hawk

Ive got a Nextbase 402G, reasonably cheap and produces a good quality recording even in low light. Also has GPS. Once hooked up to a Blackvue Magic Pro it's able to record even when parked.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CREED said:

Ive got a Nextbase 402G, reasonably cheap and produces a good quality recording even in low light. Also has GPS. Once hooked up to a Blackvue Magic Pro it's able to record even when parked.

As agreed with the above! 402G Professional is a top notch camera. The software they have for your PC is great too. Got that in my front and a Mobius V3 camera in the back. Small nifty little thing which is great for the rear. Proper  high quality clips if you have a play with the software they have.

• Like 1

On 07/05/2017 at 3:27 PM, Mitchell Rogers said:

Get road hawk

I bought one. The Vision, with wifi. The small form factor camera is what I wanted and it works fine but the app is flaky; out of 4 devices I loaded it onto, only one works. 

So for anyone thinking about one of these, load the app before buying. If it works, it should ask to switch to the camera wifi. Otherwise it just crashes out or gives a black screen. Roadhawk don't acknowledge a problem.

I've been using the YI Dascam for almost 5 months now, its brilliant. I would recommend buying a UV filter for it though to get rid of the windscreen reflections in really sunny weather but i think thats the case for almost all dashcams. I'm a freak for good quality videos and the YI dashcam has been brilliant for me, i bought it for ~£50 off of amazon.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club