Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Keyless ST's being stolen

Kylinski

The principal as far as I know is to boost the signal from the car, to wake the key up, then it relays the signal back to the car.

• Like 2

That makes perfect sense! I was thinking about it from the wrong way round. The thief boosts the 'request' for the code from the car to the key, not the code from the key to the car. Thanks Alex I hadn't even considered it that way around, Jon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm confused now. Doesn't take much! 

The Ford keys are passive keys, so only transmit when you push a button, or it is woken up by the keyless system of the car.

I would be willing to bet if you walk passed a different keyless Ford, it will still wake the key up, but the code will be wrong, so it will appear nothing happens, then when out of range the key goes back to sleep.

The keyless system in the car is basically constantly saying "Hello any keys there?", but the range is limited to 1-2m from the car. When a key enters that range it wakes the key up, I assume it uses the battery in the key to then send the unlock signal, as I read when not used for a long period the keyless key will hibernate.

The relays/boosters thieves use just extend the range so the car thinks the key is in range. They work because most people leave their keys by the front door and the car is on the drive, so it doesn't actually need relaying that much further.

• Like 1

cars are being stolen in the village where i live (Chilswickham Worcestershire)

Last week a New 4 series BMW was stolen for example

Not happy.

Worried

Worrying

Is there anything cheap i can do to prevent my car from being code hacked

Jamie

5 minutes ago, james_60 said:

cars are being stolen in the village where i live (Chilswickham Worcestershire)

Last week a New 4 series BMW was stolen for example

Not happy.

Worried

Worrying

Is there anything cheap i can do to prevent my car from being code hacked

Jamie

Faraday cage and move the OBD port will be a good start :)

EDIT: When I say Faraday cage, you don't necessarily have to buy anything, an old lidded tin will usually do, but test it first.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, alexp999 said:

The Ford keys are passive keys, so only transmit when you push a button, or it is woken up by the keyless system of the car.

I would be willing to bet if you walk passed a different keyless Ford, it will still wake the key up, but the code will be wrong, so it will appear nothing happens, then when out of range the key goes back to sleep.

The keyless system in the car is basically constantly saying "Hello any keys there?", but the range is limited to 1-2m from the car. When a key enters that range it wakes the key up, I assume it uses the battery in the key to then send the unlock signal, as I read when not used for a long period the keyless key will hibernate.

The relays/boosters thieves use just extend the range so the car thinks the key is in range. They work because most people leave their keys by the front door and the car is on the drive, so it doesn't actually need relaying that much further.

Once more for us thickies 

So as long as the signal from my key is blocked (Faraday case), and placed out of range, thieves can't use boosters to gain access to my current pride and joy? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kylinski said:

Once more for us thickies 

So as long as the signal from my key is blocked (faraday case), and placed out of range, thieves can't use boosters to gain access to my current pride and joy? 

Correct.

• Like 1

A decent lockable metal key cabinet will be adequate.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

A disc lock for the wheel or one of those locks that hooks onto the wheel and the back of the brake pedal is a visible deterrent that would eliminate the worry of an 'invisible' code being tricked out of the key.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like the idea of getting a Faraday cage for keys but why not just go all out and build a Faraday cage for the car :laugh:

• Like 4

Is ford doing anything about this ?

I know its not there fault cars are being stolen but, 

Are major car manufacturers jointly talking about the keyless system ?

Could the keyless system be phased out because of this ?

Jamie :ph34r::ph34r:

• 3 weeks later...

The metal tin method works for me. Popped the fob for my new keyless entry Mondeo into a metal tin, put the lid on and tried to open the car door with the tin in my hand.  The car stayed secure.  I also had similar success with the fob for wife's keyless Nissan Qashqai. 

• Like 1

I have a tracker, clutch pedal lock and a dummy OBD fitted so short of picking the car up there isn't a big chance of mine getting nabbed.

There again you have 2 huge dogs as well lol!

Yunii

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I got myself a obd port hacked off from a scrapped car as a dummy & fitted in original place removing car one in a different place. I dont know how much secure it makes but cars obd still would be traceable as running scangauge ii from it using 2 in conector plugs.
Yunii

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club