Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Idling low and engine management light

Georgelloyd96

Hi, I bought a k&n i57 cone filter for my mk7 Zetec s fiesta.. soon as I installed it the idle has dropped low and sounds a bit lumpy.. I'm thinking it could be the mixture from the air and petrol anyone know how to adjust this used to be a screw on the older cars was told by my dad but is it something different on these? Please help anyone also the engine management light has come on and searched this and seen people say it went off on its own after a little while but still wanna make sure.. thanks 

It's all controlled by the ECU now unfortunately 

Isn't the mk6 zetec S NA? In that case I wouldn't bother putting up with issued for negligible power gains 

• Like 1

I haven't really done it for power I've done it for sound more than anything to be honest with you mate.. hopefully will restore itself over time if the computer just gets used to having this filter on 

Not sure it quite works like that. I would take it off if your engine is naturally aspirated as said above. It's not as effective as your stock airbox. Your essentially sucking in more dirt to your engine for no reason

• Like 1

Sorry I've just realised you said mk7 zetec S not mk6. But even so yeah it's NA

The ECU has set limits either way for its adjustments. Once it hits these parameters it'll just throw up codes etc as it is now 

You need to plug it in and see what error codes are stored. Probably avoidable but honestly I'd just take the filter off 

I don't really wanna just take the filter off especially when I've just spent £130 on it seems a bit of a waste otherwise 

Please excuse my arrogant opinion here, but it is something that really worries me about the car community. What was the point in spending £130 on an air filter on a car that won't really sound much better (which is another story), perform the same, if not worse (there's only so much air an engine can suck in whilst NA, and a car like this already maxes it out pretty much). As I said, it's my opinion, so don't take it personally, I tend to have a rant like this every so often.

Naturally Aspirated Ford's are really sensitive when it comes to this sort of stuff. Just removing a filter can cause the engine to run really lumpy.

I mean if you really wanted then go and get your car mapped so it is tuned with the filter on, but seems pointless for the sake of a couple HP.

5 hours ago, Georgelloyd96 said:

I've just spent £130 on it seems a bit of a waste otherwise 

That's car modding I'm afraid, this happens quite frequently. eBay will become your best friend for this sort of stuff, you'll take a loss but live and learn.

• Like 1

On 10/05/2017 at 5:43 PM, Luke4efc said:

Please excuse my arrogant opinion here, but it is something that really worries me about the car community. What was the point in spending £130 on an air filter on a car that won't really sound much better (which is another story), perform the same, if not worse (there's only so much air an engine can suck in whilst NA, and a car like this already maxes it out pretty much). As I said, it's my opinion, so don't take it personally, I tend to have a rant like this every so often.

Naturally Aspirated Ford's are really sensitive when it comes to this sort of stuff. Just removing a filter can cause the engine to run really lumpy.

I mean if you really wanted then go and get your car mapped so it is tuned with the filter on, but seems pointless for the sake of a couple HP.

That's car modding I'm afraid, this happens quite frequently. Ebay will become your best friend for this sort of stuff, you'll take a loss but live and learn.

Thanks for the reply I completely understand you and I did research this before I bought it.. the car runs fine now a very very stupid mistake I made when installing it that I don't want to say😂 The car sounds a lot better with it on in my opinion a lot meatier but it's down to opinion like you said but there's too many negative posts which could put people off of them but in my opinion if you have the money I'd buy one don't really notice much in power gains apart from maybe don't feel like it drops a lot of power in the mid range which I found in my car but that might just be me.. thanks for all the replies 

1 hour ago, Georgelloyd96 said:

the car runs fine now a very very stupid mistake I made when installing it that I don't want to say😂

Do say; you won't be the first but most importantly you won't be the last so your admission may help someone else in the future! :smile:

46 minutes ago, MJNewton said:

Do say; you won't be the first but most importantly you won't be the last so your admission may help someone else in the future! :smile:

Well anyone to be as STUPID as me and forget to plug the MAF sensor back in would feel a bit of a numpty I would think😂

• Like 1

You're being too hard on yourself. Forgetting to plug things back in is easily done, and I am sure something we have all done if willing to admit it (I certainly have!).

• Like 2

You're being too hard on yourself. Forgetting to plug things back in is easily done, and I am sure something we have all done if willing to admit it (I certainly have!).

i have , many times. [emoji5]

Ive done it before haha, multiple times 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club