Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Titanium or Zetec S?

Maffoo

Hi guys, I've been browsing these forums for weeks and not really posting, so hi :)

I'm buying my first car in a month or two and have decided to get a used 09 plate mk7 TDCI, but I'm torn as to which model to buy and had a few questions.

Firstly I'm torn between the ZS and the Titanium, is there much of a difference to drive them? I like the styling of the ZS but I'll be doing a fair bit of motorway driving so the cruise would come in handy. And if I go Tit should I go 1.4 or 1.6?

Also, as I'm buying used not many of the cars I've found have the USB/Bluetooth option, is there a way to get Ford to fit it post-purchase? My budget is about £11-12k

In my opinion you should go for a Titanium 1.6

Others will no doubt tell you different but that will be their own opinions also

As far as retro fitting USB/Bluetooth is concerned I would strongly recommend you search for the many threads on this topic

Again IMO if you want BT/USB get a car that already has it, else you will have a whole load of hassle and lose a whole load of £££

:)

Jonny's right... it's each too their own. Maybe it's best you try them both out. Zetec-S has less as standard than the Titanium though...

I'd go for a Titanium - possible to make a Titanium look like a Zetec S (save for the sport seats and traction control off switch) but not possible to fit all the extras of a Titanium to a Zetec S.

I ordered a Zetec S originally, then realised my folly and changed the order.

Suspension - the ride on the Zetec S is harder, but not better or 'more sporty'. Titanium handles just as well, and rides the bumps better. The Fiesta project manager was quoting as saying the Titanium's setup is optimum.

Definitely go for a car with USB installed when the car was built.

Definitely go for a ZS, who wants all of that nasty chrome ruining the car...

Definitely go for a ZS, who wants all of that nasty chrome ruining the car...

Shut up. Chrome is blatantly far better than no chrome. It's true. You know it Flic :P

Shut up. Chrome is blatantly far better than no chrome. It's true. You know it Flic :P

Ugh, wash your mouth out! Can't get much tackier than a bit o' chrome trimming... Bleurgh! :wacko:

Ugh, wash your mouth out! Can't get much tackier than a bit o' chrome trimming... Bleurgh! :wacko:

No way mate! The chrome is high-class, far superior to blank black plastic tack. For sure :o

I agree with Flic about the chrome never been a fan of that, I got the Zetec S and I love it and paid to get the extra gadgets that I wanted (Usb & bluetooth Voice Control), best bet would be to take both for a test drive to see about the difference in ride and handling then have a good old search about as you might be able to pick up a zetec s with all the titanium extras (that is if you prefer the ride of the zetec s) :)

No way mate! The chrome is high-class, far superior to blank black plastic tack. For sure :o

Well it matches the blank black plastic tack of the interior doesn't it :P I'm sure the chrome will look nice and dull and scratched in a few years time, give the car a nice antique feel ;)

Well it matches the blank black plastic tack of the interior doesn't it :P I'm sure the chrome will look nice and dull and scratched in a few years time, give the car a nice antique feel ;)

oh really!? Well how about no! Maybe in a few years time you'll have a nice antique feel, how about that? :huh:

oh really!? Well how about no! Maybe in a few years time you'll have a nice antique feel, how about that? :huh:

Are you calling me old!? <_< :unsure: :o

Where's Dan to protect me when I need him :lol:

I believe I won that argument ;)

Are you calling me old!? <_< :unsure: :o

Where's Dan to protect me when I need him :lol:

I believe I won that argument ;)

You may believe you won, but deep down inside you know you want the chrome. In a few years time you'll see those beautiful antique Titaniums driving by and you will wish you never slated their epic glory.

as you can see buddy....there is quite a lot of contention about which is better...even been a poll.

For what you want, I would suggest Titanium, 1.6 tdci, with a dress up kit.

You then basically get the Titanium that looks like a ZS.

I don't think it does handle as well....I did test drive them both....but the ZS ride is certainly firmer.

If you wanted tho, nothing would stop you getting the Ford approved Eibach springs for the Tit!

You will get a lot more for your money with the Tit....

However it still will never be a ZS :)

You may believe you won, but deep down inside you know you want the chrome. In a few years time you'll see those beautiful antique Titaniums driving by and you will wish you never slated their epic glory.

or we will be reading a topic entitled:

"How do I stop my cheep chrome trim from flaking!?"

:lol:

or we will be reading a topic entitled:

"How do I stop my cheep chrome trim from flaking!?"

:lol:

lol!

Thing is with the chrome, the first time I saw it I was amazed by the quality of it. Its really good solid stuff, not at all plasticy and naff as I had first expected it to be.

I will say though that I think it looks far better on the panther than the other colours and I can understand if you didnt want it on a white or red car. But on the black it really looks nice

As you're buying used I think the differences between the models are likely to be more than when bought new.

I don't think there will be many used Titaniums with the 'dress-up kit' so if you want that you either need to buy a Zetec S or be prepared to spend a good few hundred quid buying the bits and having it fitted to a Titanium- someone on the forum will no doubt have the Ford prices somewhere for the complete kit.

- a quick look over used cars (eBay classifieds and Autotrader) found me 1 dressed up Titanium:

Autotrader

Also, what have you been driving previously? (what did you learn to drive in, have you been using anyone elses car) - I've been driving a '98 Mk4 Fiesta since 2004, so even with comparitively less kit, the Zetec S is still a massive improvement.

For example, having never had climate control, Air Con is more than enough for me.

Does anyone know if you can buy the steering wheel infill panel and buttons from a Titanium and just wire in cruise? I know that on many other makes of car you just buy a different indicator stalk (or similar) and just swap them over.

Suspension - the ride on the Zetec S is harder, but not better or 'more sporty'. Titanium handles just as well, and rides the bumps better. The Fiesta project manager was quoting as saying the Titanium's setup is optimum.

When he said optimum he probably meant an optimum balance between comfort and handling for most regular people. The Zetec S will handle better, at the expense of some comfort.

As you're buying used I think the differences between the models are likely to be more than when bought new.

I don't think there will be many used Titaniums with the 'dress-up kit' so if you want that you either need to buy a Zetec S or be prepared to spend a good few hundred quid buying the bits and having it fitted to a Titanium- someone on the forum will no doubt have the Ford prices somewhere for the complete kit.

- a quick look over used cars (ebay classifieds and Autotrader) found me 1 dressed up Titanium:

Autotrader

Also, what have you been driving previously? (what did you learn to drive in, have you been using anyone elses car) - I've been driving a '98 Mk4 Fiesta since 2004, so even with comparitively less kit, the Zetec S is still a massive improvement.

For example, having never had climate control, Air Con is more than enough for me.

Does anyone know if you can buy the steering wheel infill panel and buttons from a Titanium and just wire in cruise? I know that on many other makes of car you just buy a different indicator stalk (or similar) and just swap them over.

Not sure on those alloys, she is crying out for the 17's :P

When he said optimum he probably meant an optimum balance between comfort and handling for most regular people. The Zetec S will handle better, at the expense of some comfort.

Optimum means optimum as far as I'm concerned, plus the sentence continued along the lines of 'people expect the 'sport version' to be harder' suggesting to me that it's a marketing gimmick all the way. Plus, the Zetec S (and 1.7 Puma) that got left faaaaaaaaar behind by Frosty just a few days past lets me know I'm not missing out on anything. :lol: ;)

Jonny - that was officially the worst defence of chrome I've ever seen in my life. You may as well have said 'you smell, because you do!' Plus you were mean to Flic, which makes it even worse.

Fact of the matter is, that the plastics are exactly the same, they've have been treated to give a different appearance. But, I know that I'd rather be polishing stratches out of chromed plastic than matt black plastic, it'll be much easier.

Optimum means optimum as far as I'm concerned, plus the sentence continued along the lines of 'people expect the 'sport version' to be harder' suggesting to me that it's a marketing gimmick all the way. Plus, the Zetec S (and 1.7 Puma) that got left faaaaaaaaar behind by Frosty just a few days past lets me know I'm not missing out on anything. :lol: ;)

Jonny - that was officially the worst defence of chrome I've ever seen in my life. You may as well have said 'you smell, because you do!' Plus you were mean to Flic, which makes it even worse.

Fact of the matter is, that the plastics are exactly the same, they've have been treated to give a different appearance. But, I know that I'd rather be polishing stratches out of chromed plastic than matt black plastic, it'll be much easier.

lol, I was specifically aiming to give it lame defence... I could have defended it better if I had just said "ya mum!"

Also I think you are wrong about the chrome trim... The trim is not exactly the same, and I'm fairly certain that it isn't chromed plastic either, rather that it's chromed metal. however I'm not 100% on that so i'll check it out next time I remember too...

Edit: I agree that the Titanium is optimised, the ZS is blatantly de-optimised... Titanium FTW

It's chromed plastic - you try some metal polish on it and see what happens... ;)

It's chromed plastic - you try some metal polish on it and see what happens... ;)

How about you tell me what happens, just to save me the hassle :)

All of the chrome on a Titanium is plastic I'm afraid, metal polish will strip it off quite effectively, leaving you with a half chrome/half plastic look. The only spots that I clean with metal polish are the sill plates.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club