Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Log book advice

jace1969

Its my brothers car,he is 66 and lives about 20 ish miles away but has not kept the best of health in the last 2 months.

First thing is im trying to sort out to get the car to me but the main thing is the Log book is in his name but we have all the stuff here (Log book/MOT/service stuff etc.)

How do i go about when we sell the car as the person who is selling it has to sign the log book and he cant.

Sounds a bit complected which it is.

Get a letter of authority for you to act as his agent.

4 hours ago, karl46 said:

Get a letter of authority for you to act as his agent.

This is the thing there is no way of me getting anything off my brother only phone call as he is in like a 

care place getting help and all is just phone as I'm doing now,got car back now by 2 friends which went and got It.

its like a 3 months assessment place where he is so only means is phone,I have the log book and everything 

like all books/manuals/service books/mot etc as I kept them here as he did pop over here a lot.

Personally I would just sign it on his behalf. There would only be an issue if your Brother decided that he didn't want it sold and challenged the sale himself saying he hadn't signed it.

I've sold a car to Trade and signed it on behalf of my Daughter and the Traders weren't at all bothered. DVLA do not check the signatures on the V5's as far as I can find.

Also in the old days of applying for car tax at a Post Office and having to sign and send off the V5 at the same time if you had just bought the car, you were allowed to sign it in your own name and then in brackets write your relationship to the new owner.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, btmaldon said:

Personally I would just sign it on his behalf. There would only be an issue if your Brother decided that he didn't want it sold and challenged the sale himself saying he hadn't signed it.

I've sold a car to Trade and signed it on behalf of my Daughter and the Traders weren't at all bothered. DVLA do not check the signatures on the V5's as far as I can find.

Also in the old days of applying for car tax at a Post Office and having to sign and send off the V5 at the same time if you had just bought the car, you were allowed to sign it in your own name and then in brackets write your relationship to the new owner.

I didn't know this as i thought it needs the person to sign it.

I'm in the process of trying to meet him by where he is now as he can do what he wants as its just the health side as he has said he don't want to drive

and i think its a very sensible thing for him to do.

When it is signed i have the option for me to have it has a spare car or just use it like a little van,leave the back seats down and dark tint the back windows.

its a little 2 door 1.2 16v clio but just spent a lot on it like cambelt kit and water pump and only 60k on a 54 plate,great little car but need this dam log book sorted.

The V5 (logbook) is not proof of. ownership. The keeper has their details on it. It could well be a company car  but the driver is the keeper.

That makes it a lot easier,so say if i sell the car then i can sign my brothers name and date and also put the new keeper on it even if

its me changing from his name to my name.

Just read that you can ring DVLA now or even transfer keeper online,all you need to do is give person the slip just for there

proof of transfer.

So now i can sell the car and sign the bottom (brothers name ) then put new keeper on it and get them to sign and all done

14 hours ago, jace1969 said:

That makes it a lot easier,so say if i sell the car then i can sign my brothers name and date and also put the new keeper on it even if

its me changing from his name to my name.

Just read that you can ring DVLA now or even transfer keeper online,all you need to do is give person the slip just for there

proof of transfer.

So now i can sell the car and sign the bottom (brothers name ) then put new keeper on it and get them to sign and all done

Exactly, I've done it many times.

On 15/05/2017 at 8:02 PM, jmurray01 said:

Exactly, I've done it many times.

This is great,so i will do it all online so i might transfer it from brothers name/address to mine then its my car then.

This helps so much,online it is then.

Next is either 2 policy insurance or a very cheap insurance for the second car.

Well now im in the process of swapping the log book into my name from my brother there are 3 other things i have thought of.

If i do swap it now i will have to tax it again as in my name so will loose 2 months what is left and brother will get a very small back,how much ??

Also i will loose around 3 weeks on the new tax as it will start this month ...May...or being over the 15th will it start on June and other runs until then.

And the main one,when i swap online can i instant like 10 mins after i swap owner online can i go onto the site and get 12 months tax in my name.

Are you insured to drive another car on your policy ?

Leave it in his name, if it's taxed and insured just drive it home. If it's taxed and insured you can park it on the road.

You'll have 2 months to decide what to do with it.  If you decide to keep it , transfer it to yourself. tax it and insure it.

If you transfer it NOW, you'll have to either tax it or SORN (Statutary Off Road Notification) at the same time. If you sorn it you will have to keep it off the public road.

All this can be done on line.

I tthink you are making this too complicated.

• Like 1

As above.
You can drive the car under your insurance with third party liablility as long as you have the registered keepers consent.
When tax is reimbursed you only get back full unused months not parts of.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

When I transferred Eve (my Focus) from me to my wife I SORNed it in the afternoon of the last day of the month and then transferred ownership and taxed it on the first. As long as you can park the car off of the road overnight then I think this is the most efficient way of doing it.

10 hours ago, karl46 said:

Are you insured to drive another car on your policy ?

Leave it in his name, if it's taxed and insured just drive it home. If it's taxed and insured you can park it on the road.

You'll have 2 months to decide what to do with it.  If you decide to keep it , transfer it to yourself. tax it and insure it.

If you transfer it NOW, you'll have to either tax it or SORN (Statutary Off Road Notification) at the same time. If you sorn it you will have to keep it off the public road.

All this can be done on line.

I tthink you are making this too complicated.

I think all or most covers you to drive other cars on third party and with owners consent which is fine.

The big thing is the insurance,he pays every month and the month runs out on the 17th of june and he wont pay anymore as he aint got the car.

See his insurance is stupid price,like i could get 12 months for the cost of 4 of his month payments as he never had his own insurance and high risk place.

At the moment im thinking of,changing log book then tax in one go then insurance still has a good month left then all it is then is insurance it just before june 17th.

The down side i will loose 3 weeks of this month and he will get 2 months back as they will be solid months ( june and july).

Ok just done it all,confirmation by email to say it was sold and im new keeper and also that the car don't belong to my brother as from now.

Also just taxed it and again email to confirm this as from 1st may 2017.

Thanks for the advice on this as the log book change is so dam easy,says 2 weeks for new one to arrive,would never on knew you could do it

online....Big thumbs up.

Insurance done as well,starts on 16th of may when other runs out on 17th.

• Like 1

I've experience of this.  The DVLA won't care.  Sign your own name.  

2 hours ago, Jethro_Tull said:

I've experience of this.  The DVLA won't care.  Sign your own name.  

Yes mate all done,done online on the Saturday and had it for the Thursday following week,did car tax 10 mins after and all sorted.

Its amazing the new things you learn about,cheers.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club