Do Not Sell My Personal Information

From red to clear focus st rear brake light

b4zz

Hi all just a quick question I have bought a focus st rear spoiler but it came with the red brake light so went and bought the clear one as I thought it would just be a case of unplugging the red one and then put the plug into the clear one and away to go.

I have looked and cant see how the plug from the red one comes off as it looks like a complete unit to me and the plug on the clear one looks different.

so can anybody who has replaced the red brake to a clear have any advice or help as I think I may need to buy a new plug for the clear one.

Hi a fellow member by the mane of Lenny has given advice on this subject before as someone else has had this problem when upgrading I do know that there is a separate loom from my clear light to that of the tailgate loom hope this helps 

I replaced my red ST brake light for a clear one yesterday, and the plugs were exactly the same.

I take it you already have the spoiler fitted? And the light wired up?

If so it's just a case of putting a small screw driver into the top of the connector and pressing down. The connection pulls out and you plug the clear one in took only a few minutes.

Have you any pics of the connections?

cheers for the advice guys.

commencal24 the spoiler is not fitted yet hoping to do it soon.

will try the screw driver trick.

the connections may be the same I just cant work out how the red one will come away

2 minutes ago, b4zz said:

cheers for the advice guys.

commencal24 the spoiler is not fitted yet hoping to do it soon.

will try the screw driver trick.

the connections may be the same I just cant work out how the red one will come away

If I remember tonight I'll get a picture posted of where you need to press the get the connections apart.

A word of warning, if you didn't know the connections on a standard spoiler and the ST spoiler are different, so you'll have to cut the plug from the car and the one from the spoiler and connect them together yourself.

Both wires are black are black do what I did and get the other half pressing on the brake pedal, whilst you test which wires go together.

ok cheers for the head up on the different connections. me being me thought just take off old spoiler fit new one and away to go ha ha.

if you could get me a picture that would be great.

how did you connect the both plugs and what did you use please and assume its a easy job?

1 minute ago, b4zz said:

ok cheers for the head up on the different connections. me being me thought just take off old spoiler fit new one and away to go ha ha.

if you could get me a picture that would be great.

how did you connect the both plugs and what did you use please and assume its a easy job?

Well I assumed the plugs would be the same both being spoilers for a focus. 

I used bullet connectors, put two male on the spoiler wires and two female on the car wires, plug them together and the brake light didn't come on, so swapped them over and it worked... easy peasy  

1 hour ago, Commencal24 said:

Well I assumed the plugs would be the same both being spoilers for a focus. 

I used bullet connectors, put two male on the spoiler wires and two female on the car wires, plug them together and the brake light didn't come on, so swapped them over and it worked... easy peasy  

ok cheers for that.

I should be able to get the bullet connectors from b&q or any hard ware shop I assume.

3 minutes ago, b4zz said:

ok cheers for that.

I should be able to get the bullet connectors from b&q or any hard ware shop I assume.

Check Halfords out Bullet connections

2 minutes ago, Commencal24 said:

Check halfords out Bullet connections

thanks for that its much appreciated. do I need any other tools too put the wires in to the bullet conectors do they need crimping up?or is it a case of putting wires into conectors push togeather and away to go?

sorry for all the questions but just want to get every thing together before I go to fit the spoiler.

thanks again

2 hours ago, b4zz said:

thanks for that its much appreciated. do I need any other tools too put the wires in to the bullet conectors do they need crimping up?or is it a case of putting wires into conectors push togeather and away to go?

sorry for all the questions but just want to get every thing together before I go to fit the spoiler.

thanks again

Don't worry about it. It'd be a nightmare taking the spoiler off to find your missing something to fit your ST one. 

Yes theyll need crimping, another good piece of advice I received, was to get some bathroom sealant  (clear) go around the holes where the bolts fit, this provides an extra protection against water getting into your boot.

24 minutes ago, Commencal24 said:

Don't worry about it. It'd be a nightmare taking the spoiler off to find your missing something to fit your ST one. 

Yes theyll need crimping, another good piece of advice I received, was to get some bathroom sealant  (clear) go around the holes where the bolts fit, this provides an extra protection against water getting into your boot.

ok cheers for that could I use pliers to crimp them?

yea I heard about the sealant thing will get some of that and do the holes as I don't want my boot turning in to a fish pound ha ha.

take it I will need wire stripers to take of the connections for the original light and then just add the bullet conectors .

1 hour ago, b4zz said:

ok cheers for that could I use pliers to crimp them?

yea I heard about the sealant thing will get some of that and do the holes as I don't want my boot turning in to a fish pound ha ha.

take it I will need wire stripers to take of the connections for the original light and then just add the bullet conectors .

Yeah you can use pliers.

Thsts pretty much it yeah, fingers crossed you get some dry weather soon so you can get it done  

12 hours ago, Commencal24 said:

Yeah you can use pliers.

Thsts pretty much it yeah, fingers crossed you get some dry weather soon so you can get it done  

ok cheers sound pretty straight forward.

your right with the weather if I cant get it done this month I have got a week off again in june so hopefully it wount be tipping it down then ha ha.

thanks once again for all your help.

I wouldn't count on anything with the weather 😉

Make sure you've an extra pair of hands to help fit the spoiler to the car and hold it in place whilst you tighten the bolts, as you said it's pretty straight forward and shouldn't take a great deal of time.

7 minutes ago, Commencal24 said:

I wouldn't count on anything with the weather 😉

Make sure you've an extra pair of hands to help fit the spoiler to the car and hold it in place whilst you tighten the bolts, as you said it's pretty straight forward and shouldn't take a great deal of time.

yea will defo have a extra pair of hands ready and will also put a towel on the boot when removing the old one just in case  it drops and marks the roof.

did you manage to get a pic of how to unclip the wire from the brake light after mate?

2 hours ago, b4zz said:

yea will defo have a extra pair of hands ready and will also put a towel on the boot when removing the old one just in case  it drops and marks the roof.

did you manage to get a pic of how to unclip the wire from the brake light after mate?

I'd totally forgot, just did I quick few pics, hope it helps.

Ignore the disgustingly dirty light 😉 

You see the small rectangle gap just in front of the screw driver? Gets smallish flat blade and put it into the slot.

IMG_7882.thumb.JPG.36380395ff69a0fd3a8078da437a7f5e.JPG

Gently press down on the screw driver and pull the connector, it should just slide off, then plug you clear one in 👍🏼

IMG_7883.thumb.JPG.4e07caa19812bf1c8698b5c4a2dc5868.JPG

13 hours ago, Commencal24 said:

I'd totally forgot, just did I quick few pics, hope it helps.

Ignore the disgustingly dirty light 😉 

You see the small rectangle gap just in front of the screw driver? Gets smallish flat blade and put it into the slot.

IMG_7882.thumb.JPG.36380395ff69a0fd3a8078da437a7f5e.JPG

Gently press down on the screw driver and pull the connector, it should just slide off, then plug you clear one in 👍🏼

IMG_7883.thumb.JPG.4e07caa19812bf1c8698b5c4a2dc5868.JPG

thanks for the pics much appreciated. will give this a go later

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎17‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 4:40 PM, Commencal24 said:

Let me know how you go

sorry its late reply. your advice was spot on for undoing the red brake light got them swaped over. hopefully weather permitting I am going to have a go at fitting the spoiler tomorrow.have also had a email from Maxton design to say my spoiler lip is on its way whoooo.

thanks again for the advice and pic to swap the red brake light for a clear one

On 13/06/2017 at 8:16 AM, b4zz said:

no idea fella ha ha. hope your spoiler hasent let in water

On 13/06/2017 at 8:41 AM, b4zz said:

sorry its late reply. your advice was spot on for undoing the red brake light got them swaped over. hopefully weather permitting I am going to have a go at fitting the spoiler tomorrow.have also had a email from Maxton design to say my spoiler lip is on its way whoooo.

thanks again for the advice and pic to swap the red brake light for a clear one

Good to hear, did you go for the gloss black? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Commencal24 said:

Good to hear, did you go for the gloss black? 

yes went for the gloss black to fit in with the grills and front splitter. got delivery of it this morning but will fit on another day as fitted the spoiler to day and just want too make sure its water tight. check my build thread for pics if you want

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club