Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus mk1 Engine cutting out whilst driving

JamSlap

Hello,

In the last 2 days my focus has twice cut out whilst going round corners.

I sort of can interpret when it is going to happen as the clutch gets heavier and the steering becomes stiffer.

When it does cut out though i cant turn the steering wheel or brake soon after.

I need to use my car everyday and the thought of it cutting out when on a dual carriageway is quite scary.

We have put a diagnostic tool into the car but it has read no faults...

Has anyone had a similar problem? or could you point me in the right direction as I would like to have this sorted ASAP

Thankyou!!

we don't know what fuel/engine size you have.

My Fiesta 1.6tdci was doing that. Fault code showed low fuel pressure. I replaced fuel filter and it cured it.   I didn't really understand why it only did it on corners, left turns actually on mine.

Sorry!

Engine size is 1.4 and it is a Petrol 

2 minutes ago, isetta said:

we don't know what fuel/engine size you have.

My Fiesta 1.6tdci was doing that. Fault code showed low fuel pressure. I replaced fuel filter and it cured it.   I didn't really understand why it only did it on corners, left turns actually on mine.

sorry, have updated post accordingly, i wish the diagnostics would pick something up. Have had no engine codes or lights on the dash

8 hours ago, JamSlap said:

When it does cut out though i cant turn the steering wheel or brake soon after.

If an engine cuts out while driving, it is vital to keep it in gear, 4th or 3rd usually, and let the clutch out. This will keep the engine turning, which will keep the steering pump and brake vacuum going, so you have full control until the car comes to a stop. It will slow down quicker like this due to engine braking, but keeping the power steering going is important. The car will steer with no power assistance, but it will be very heavy indeed.

The exception to this is if the engine seizes, like a broken timing belt can sometimes cause. Then the front wheels would skid, and you will have to dip the clutch fast to keep any control. But this is very rare, and would be the end for the engine.

As for the cause, as Isetta says fuel related problems are the most likely. But a range of electrical problems could also be the cause.

I would try some other diagnostics systems. The Mk1 Petrol Focus should be OBD2 compliant, but some modern diagnostic aids may not be compatible with the OBD version on that car. Forscan with an ELM327 can probe into a MK1 Focus, provided it has a good (fully compatible ) ELM.

Did you get any messages, eg connection established, or modules found, or Car ID read, when connecting up, or just nothing?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎15‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 7:46 PM, Tdci-Peter said:

If an engine cuts out while driving, it is vital to keep it in gear, 4th or 3rd usually, and let the clutch out. This will keep the engine turning, which will keep the steering pump and brake vacuum going, so you have full control until the car comes to a stop. It will slow down quicker like this due to engine braking, but keeping the power steering going is important. The car will steer with no power assistance, but it will be very heavy indeed.

The exception to this is if the engine seizes, like a broken timing belt can sometimes cause. Then the front wheels would skid, and you will have to dip the clutch fast to keep any control. But this is very rare, and would be the end for the engine.

As for the cause, as Isetta says fuel related problems are the most likely. But a range of electrical problems could also be the cause.

I would try some other diagnostics systems. The Mk1 Petrol Focus should be OBD2 compliant, but some modern diagnostic aids may not be compatible with the OBD version on that car. Forscan with an ELM327 can probe into a MK1 Focus, provided it has a good (fully compatible ) ELM.

Did you get any messages, eg connection established, or modules found, or Car ID read, when connecting up, or just nothing?

Thanks for all the advice I will need to try and remember it if it happens again,

We have plugged in 2 different diagnostic tools but it reads no fault codes whatsoever so no one can estimate what's wrong with it.

I have however disconnected the smart charger from the alternator (As suggested from local car shop) and since then there actually hasn't been a problem, so I assume it must be around that area

Thankyou again for the advice and sorry for getting back to the post so late!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JamSlap said:

I have however disconnected the smart charger from the alternator (As suggested from local car shop) and since then there actually hasn't been a problem, so I assume it must be around that area

Dodgy charging systems can cause a huge range of faults on modern cars. If it is partly working (perhaps just one phase gone), then it will keep the battery charged enough to start the car, but can upset some of the electronics due to ripple or noise on the main power bus.

I have known cases where a dodgy alternator causes a vehicle to ignore the throttle pedal sometimes.

It is worth getting the charging system fully checked. And the battery unless it is known to be good. Leaving the alternator control wires disconnected for a long time might over or under charge the battery.

Does your car have EHPAS? (electric power steering). If so that could explain the link between charging system and staling on corners, with the sudden extra power demand.