Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Power button

mustang86

Just a quick question about the ford power button. If you leave the key in your pocket and leave the car, does the engine automatically switch off? Or can someone without the key technically jump in and drive off?

I'm afraid there is no proximity sensor built in to the system, so if you exit the car with the engine running and key in your pocket, then anyone else can get in and drive off and the engine will not cut out.  Clearly if they stall it or otherwise turn it off, then the key will no longer be present and therefore it will not restart.  I think there should have been an auto cut out if the car went more than perhaps 10 metres from the key, or alternatively a button on the fob to cut off the engine, but sadly not.  So beware !!

Edited by Edge of Reason
Spelling !
  • Like 1

going off topic, i think they should have a feature where if you are 1 meter away from your car so it doesn't whilst in house. the car starts up, also only if the car was in neutral or park in an automatic, be a pretty good thing to have, or a button on the key but then that would go against the law cus i would start it from across the car park at work haha. 

• Like 1

There are kits you can buy @AlexBartlam that remote start your car, some have certain parameters that need to be aligned before it will work though, like in neutral and within 10m. My pal had one in his Evo and he always left it in neutral when parked, one morning he started it from his bedroom as usual, forgetting his girlfriend moved it on to the drive for him the night before. It jumped through the garage door, she had left it in gear [emoji87]

Once in my previous focus @mustang86 (with the keyless start button) me and the wife went out to the shops and she drove, when we got there I decided I wanted to go and see a friend while she shopped so she jumped out and I switched seats. I got about 300yds before I heard a binging and a message on the dash said 'Key not located' or 'not in vehicle' I can't remember. It didn't cut out though.

I wonder what would happen with the stop/start system? Would it still be active, and once it stopped at lights etc wouldn't restart or would the system deactivate?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club