Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My ST170 'project'

Preecematt
聽Share

Hello everyone,

This is my project thread about my new 聽(old) car, my st170. Brought off my father in law for the grand sum of a bag of Sand. 聽 03 plate, metallic panther black, 3 door, 91500miles (going up as use it at night time travelling to work as other focus wakes boss up 馃槀), loads of service history and the only that is just starting at the bottom of both front arches. 聽This will by no means be a quick project and really all I want to do is some very slight modifications, so panel filter, silicone hoses and possibly a remap to get rid of the common flat spot between 1500-2000rpm. 聽So what have I done to it so far. Well I've washed and decontaminated the whole car and machine polished the bonnet lol, changed the horrible back lights for standard, put some ST170 stickers on the door trim, brought some induction hoses and I am currently trying to find some mudflaps. 聽Here are a few pictures, so we have a before, during and after of the machine polish (just a compound picture, not one after polishing), before and after of the lights and stickers and also my silicone induction hoses . 聽So not much so far. Around the back axle is rather worse for wear and in an ideal world I will be dropping this and refurbing it, so strip down, primer and overcoat in black, new bushes, gold zinc plated bolts and refresh calipers. 聽The rest of the chassis will hopefully be following suit. Tools, time and the help of my friend dependant. 聽My friend also has a st170 but his is Capri blue and he is 'tracking' his car which is sacrilege in my mind. 聽Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy reading the thread as and when, Matt

20170513_195413.jpg

20170509_133835.jpg

20170513_185546.jpg

20170513_185622.jpg

20170513_185540.jpg

20170517_180940.jpg

20170517_172846.jpg

20170517_180952.jpg

20170509_133617.jpg

20170517_101212.jpg

20170516_175500.jpg

20170517_172853.jpg

• Like 1

Look forward to following your project, nice to see an older focus getting some love and attention.

Nice photo bomb, pic number 4 馃槀

• Like 1

That's a nice clean looking mk1.5, look forward to seeing what you have planned.

• Like 1

Gd looking car man. Always had a soft spot for the st170, underrated in my opinion. Cant say i聽like the side badges but thats a personal choice. You thought about any other visual changes? Powdercoated alloys? Etc..

• Like 1

I thought the same about the badges at first but now I'm used to them, they actually look nice. I'm only playing with the idea of painting the alloys white, maybe. I'll paint the calipers black and see how they look as to whether I do paint the alloys, I need to refurb the alloys on the other car first when I get around to it. 聽I've always liked these shape focuses and to get a really good ST as cheap as I have then I'm really happy, I'd like to do a concours with it really but they're not really old enough in my mind. 聽

• Like 2

Think it depends what sort of white, remembering the聽discoloration from the brake dust.. it could look gd if they were a gun metal. My mk2.5's r a聽gun metal grey and they fit with the car, panther black.

• Like 1

So this morning before work I decided to put the neon snot green hoses on, well one of them anyway, where the other goes I'm assuming is under the snorkel, well since the other car is out of action because of autoglass and I'm working I'll leave that for another day. 聽Forgot to take a before picture but here is the after picture. 聽Forgot to mention a definite tidy up under the bonnet is in order with more hoses, and new heatshield cover, and possibly new fluid erm tanks. unsure whether or not I like the hose colour yet, still think I should of gone blue but hey ho. 聽

20170520_104913.jpg

On 2017-5-18 at 0:59 PM, Dave1981 said:

Think it depends what sort of white, remembering the聽discoloration from the brake dust.. it could look gd if they were a gun metal. My mk2.5's r a聽gun metal grey and they fit with the car, panther black.

I think I've seen this shape st with gun metal alloys and to be fair it does look nice. But as there is no kurbing to them YET! I will leave them as they are. 聽And perhaps get them done when they need a refurb. 聽Next on the list is MOT then going to be a rear axle kit and refurb that. 聽But that can wait until the weather is better and after the mot聽

• Like 2

I like the green, its different and stands out.. if you cud change the other hoses to match it would be better.. as for engine bay, its not bad bth. Nowt a clean up wont cure, heat shield might even come up聽with some cutting compound ??聽

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Dave1981 said:

I like the green, its different and stands out.. if you cud change the other hoses to match it would be better.. as for engine bay, its not bad bth. Nowt a clean up wont cure, heat shield might even come up聽with some cutting compound ??聽

My only concern is would it not be to much green lol? 聽Well my friend has a chrome heat shield(his dipstick broke so he had to buy new dipstick tube and shield) and it looks really nice and doesn't look as tacky/cheap as I thought it would. 聽But I suppose with green hoses it would look rather chavy, so I may look at getting a standard one OR if I can buy a stainless steel manifold I'll leave the heatshield off and wrap the exhaust

• Like 1

So today I got my strut brace in the post, didn't plan on buying one but was browsing through fleabay when it magically appeared in my basket. 聽Fitted it today and my only complaint is it rubs quite badly on the reservoir and slightly on the induction hose. 聽I will eventually stop buying additional parts and actually buy stuff needed for the car

20170522_152241.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Preecematt said:

So today I got my strut brace in the post, didn't plan on buying one but was browsing through fleabay when it magically appeared in my basket. 聽Fitted it today and my only complaint is it rubs quite badly on the reservoir and slightly on the induction hose. 聽I will eventually stop buying additional parts and actually buy stuff needed for the car

20170522_152241.jpg

Don't worry about that, I think buying additional parts is common practice, especially by myself聽

• Like 1

I think that buying extra parts is a bug you can't get rid of hahaha

looking good and looks a nice tidy example

• Like 1

On 5/23/2017 at 8:28 AM, b4zz said:

looking good and looks a nice tidy example

Thank you, it is a nice example, just starting to get a small amount of rust at the front of the side skirts and that's it. 聽SO a slight update on things, albeit a slightly boring one, I've brought a rear axle kit to be able to refurb back axle so that will hopefully be getting done over the next few days(it's weekend off and hopefully they arrive tomorrow)聽and I've also brought some 'genuine' boring black mudflaps for the ST. 聽Most of my attention at the moment has been on my other Focus, which is a mk3, I've brought an RS spoiler for it, brought a Zetec S front lip and booked it in to have some paintwork done. 聽I should really start a project thread on that as well. 聽Thanks for reading, Matt

• Like 1

How did you find the improvement after fitting the brace?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xpeterpx said:

I've fitted several strut braces to my various cars that i've had - and unless you use it on the track you won't notice any difference

BUT it does look cool聽:yahoo:

On 5/26/2017 at 7:43 AM, xpeterpx said:

Only really notice it around the roundabout lol. 聽Steering doesn't feel as wobbly down a straight. 聽Haven't really had a chance to notice it properly though. 聽Brought a rear axle kit, some new rear springs and some new brakes(brakes were needed & spring was advisory on the last MOT which is due some point in July. 聽

• 1 month later...

SO only a small slight update, haven't really done anything with the ST lately, it ran out of MOT last saturday and is currently sat at the in laws farm, I have however brought some service stuff for it and will be booking the car in for MOT and service next week(just to keep the stamp in the book and the service history up to scratch). 聽Currently in the process of taking the throttle body off to give it a clean and also going to have a look at the manifold as apparently(according to fast ford) that could be why I get a tappety sound when it's running. 聽Reason I haven't been doing much is I, yes me not the wife(who funnily enough after the 1st of August is on the insurance as a learner) scratched my Orange Focus so I had to pay for that last month which isn't to bad as the whole passenger side needed doing anyway(very s**t repair job by someone who needs to be sacked, by the last owner) I also got a Zetec S lip fitted and brought an RS look rear spoiler and Zetec S rear valance. 聽Running 2 project cars is very expensive lol. 聽I have also wrote a list of what I'm going to do to the ST.聽 I'm going to do a nut and bolt as I would really like a concours car. 聽SO once I get paid at the end of the month(also going to take on a 2nd job) I'm going to buy some rear brake and rear springs as these are needed and there is no point in rebuilding the back axle until I have these parts. 聽I have got some standard front struts off my friend, as mine are shot, so I'm going to tidy them up and put them on the car. 聽And then I will slowly work my way towards the front of the car. 聽SO yes sorry for the slow/none existent updates. 聽Thanks for reading, Matt

• Like 1

Keep us all posted mate聽:biggrin:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Another update. 聽So put the ST through it's MOT, Passed...... FIrst time without fail. 聽Only advisories being rust on subframes and front shock leaking. 聽I've brought some waxoyl and the hope is to take the back arches out, strip and respray them and then waxoyl them. 聽On the lookout for a rear frame at the moment, as I've got the rear axle rebuild kit but As I've just moved to a horsey farm, I don't want the car sat around on axle stands while I do the work, so going to buy a frame and do that in the back garden then just swap them over as and when. 聽Unless I can persuade the mother in law to let me work on it at her farm in the machinery shed. 聽Not going to be doing many updates at the moment as we've moved house(again) and have no internet and my phone has broken(again). 聽 If anybody has any advice on the waxoyl let me know please, its the one in the yellow can that is rust proofing. 聽Thanks for reading, Matt

15 hours ago, Preecematt said:

Another update. 聽So put the ST through it's MOT, Passed...... FIrst time without fail. 聽Only advisories being rust on subframes and front shock leaking. 聽I've brought some waxoyl and the hope is to take the back arches out, strip and respray them and then waxoyl them. 聽On the lookout for a rear frame at the moment, as I've got the rear axle rebuild kit but As I've just moved to a horsey farm, I don't want the car sat around on axle stands while I do the work, so going to buy a frame and do that in the back garden then just swap them over as and when. 聽Unless I can persuade the mother in law to let me work on it at her farm in the machinery shed. 聽Not going to be doing many updates at the moment as we've moved house(again) and have no internet and my phone has broken(again). 聽 If anybody has any advice on the waxoyl let me know please, its the one in the yellow can that is rust proofing. 聽Thanks for reading, Matt

Good news on the 1st time MOT pass, no-one likes MOT day (and the surprise bill that sometimes follows!)聽:wallbash:

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2017 at 8:54 AM, 1979Damian said:

Good news on the 1st time MOT pass, no-one likes MOT day (and the surprise bill that sometimes follows!)聽:wallbash:

I was expecting it to fail lol. 聽But got it serviced at the same time and I didn't expect the bill it had lol. 聽拢50 an hour labour!!!! 聽I could do it myself but I just like to keep a stamp + receipt/invoice. 聽And I provide the parts anyway. 聽But I've painted both of my back calipers(red to match the stickers) and I was in the process of doing the back axle rebuild but I'll give you 3 words. 聽ANGLE GRINDER JOB! 聽So going to look for a rear frame, buy that and do all the stuff in the shed/get it all nice and shiny, then take the old one off and bang the new one on. 聽Tried to take wishbone off and it's got a large washer behind the nut/bolt and it's put a hole into the frame. 聽I fear I'm opening a can of worms if I dig to deep, especially as my friend has a capri blue st170 that's 6 months older than mine(his is 52 plate) and his has got all rot/rust and holes around the arches and by the seat belt anchor points in the rear(he's sorted his out and put it through MOT, which failed on handbrake cable but he told them to fix it and it's passed). 聽I have taken some pictures of some during and afters and will upload them soon. 聽

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Update time, been a long time since I put a update, but after constant mithering from my friend(who has the capri blue ST170) I brought some coilovers, no idea what make they are as they are orange and silver.聽 Anyway thought I'd have a bash at fitting these this afternoon, what a pain in the backside.聽 I haven't even finished one corner but cold and light drew an end to play.聽 I've actually attached a few random pictures to show the state of the underside.聽 Still not managed to take back axle apart either.聽 Motivation and weather is proving the main obstacles at the moment

23574301_10156017920556189_1782248073_n.thumb.jpg.5fb66e991e8a19b63bbbb3083650e574.jpg

Here's the one painted caliper(offside rear) with the old damper + spring

23549630_10156017919611189_1149865612_n.thumb.jpg.40bf572b15499776b1754e28da6131ef.jpg

Here's the new spring and damper23549520_10156017919386189_914889109_n.jpg.c8b9ab1e7d670553b00dad93c51449ff.jpg

Here's the back axle, the right hand bolt/washer has welded itself into the beam and I've attempted to attack it with the angle grinder, the anti roll bar will be sanded back, rust treated and resprayed(as is the plan with the arches, sills etc.聽 Got lots to do on it and it's going to be a very long drawn out process but I have a week off in a fortnight so hopefully get a lot of it done then.聽 HOPEFULLY, especially as my friend is off for 2 of those days so he can come help.聽 Thanks for reading, Matt

23549743_10156017919171189_1144908520_n.jpg

23548171_10156017919771189_2109221212_n.jpg

23548420_10156017920221189_1042964626_n.jpg

23601928_10156017919946189_1176190556_n.jpg

23602016_10156017920381189_1218030968_n.jpg

Keep us all posted mate, it's good to see people taking the time/effort to keep some of the more classic models on the road.聽 If you're able to get everything done you'll end up with a car the corners like a go kart聽:biggrin:

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club