Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SMAax 2.0 TDCI - Windscreen washer not working

RBus59

Hello,

My windscreen wipers are working, but the screen washer is not working. I've topped up the screenwash, but this made no difference there was still no liquid when the wipers were working.

So I stripped out the undertray and removed the windscreen motor.....took this to a bench and applied voltage from an old battery, and hey presto the motor whizzed ! So motor not faulty.

I also cleaned the gauze filter in the bottom of the screenwash bottle....re-assembled - but still no luck.

Is there a fuse I can try replacing or relay? I have looked in the handbook, but my fusebox looks completely different to the images shown in the handbook.....see attachjed......does anyone know the fuse number which I could try replacing?

Thanks,

Chris

IMG_0124.JPG

IMG_0127.JPG

I have now located a fuse at F9 and F10 in the passenger footwell. I took both these 15AMP fuses out and did a continuity test on them they bleeped which says to me they are both fine. I then started the engine and pressed the windscreen washer button.......I could hear a clicking - sounded like a relay.....but the washers did not work (and I had topped up the water).

Does anyone know if there is a relay for the washers? If so where would I find this to check it out since the clicking did not seem right to me?

Look forward to hearing from you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello....latest Update:-

Today I stripped out the inner wheel arch to gain access to the screenwash bottle...no such luck - the screenwash bottle can only be accessed by removal of the front bumper. However, whilst stripped down I disconnected the pump and checked it......still whirrs when voltage applied, but I cant here this from inside the car....so I am now wondering if the stalk is at fault? Anyone know how to test the stalk?

I also disconnected the pipe from the bonnet washers. There was an electrical connection to the washers, anyone know what this does and how to test it?

With the screenwash water pipe disconnected, I tried to suck through liquid......but nothing came through, this would point to a blocked pipe to me. I have heard that there is a one way valve which can sometimes gum up near the screenwash bottle....anyone heard of this or how I can find it or clean it / test it.

Anyone got a quick link to removing the front bumper - looks a difficult job without snapping plastic clips !!!!!

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

• 1 year later...

I have the same issue, did you manage to resolve?

• 11 months later...

i have the same kind of problems as wipers work fine ,but washer jets at the front work now and again but rear one does not

if i try to use rear one the front ones stop working ...but may work after car stood for a while????

not sure were to go with this.

maybe the wiper/washer stalk is not working

all other electrics are fine 

any help really apprciated

regards

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi there. 

I'm having an absolute nightmare with my 2009 S-max. We had to have a new dash last year and now the radio has packed up. They've just disconnected it as it kept draining the battery (a new one is £3500 including fitting- probably 10 times what the car is worth). So now driving home from the garage the washers aren't working. We had a new motor a couple of months ago and I can hear it whirring. The wipers are fine. It tells me I have no washer fluid but the bottle is full as I've just put a whole bottle in to top it up. Any advice? Give up & scrap the car??! 

• 3 months later...

Anyone find a solution to the window wash. Mines doing the same as most of the comments above. Just makes the noise but no wash coming out.

• 4 months later...

I've had similar problems with my 2013 smax. So when I do the front wipers the back ones go on, had 2 new pumps fitted days apart. They seemed to work for a day then back to square one. Any help on why and how to sort it? 

Hi Kevin this is a very old thread, you would be better starting a new one and explain clearly your problem.

19 minutes ago, Kev hook said:

So when I do the front wipers the back ones go on

Is the problem with the wipers ?

20 minutes ago, Kev hook said:

had 2 new pumps fitted days apart

or with the screen wash pump ?

The wipers are fine and I'm sure the pumps fine but when I come to do the front washers it just does the back window washers. Maybe the lever is not working properly? Got it booked into a local garage and there going to try and change the lever because they have fitted 2 pumps now worked for a day and still the same problem. Only just bought the car as well🙄

Hi Kevin, the fault is most likely with the BCM (Body Control Module).

There is only one screen wash pump, it rotates clockwise to do the front screen and anti-clockwise to do the rear screen. The switch lever does not operate the screenwash pump directly, it sends the comand to the BCM which in turn operates the pump in which ever direction that you have selected (front or rear).

The operation of the switch can be tested by grounding (to the negative of the vehicle) each of the two wires that go to the switch. Connecting one wire to ground will operate the pump in one direction and connecting the other wire to ground will make it run in the other direction. If doing that makes the pump work correctly then the fault is the switch. If it does not work correctly then the fault will be with the BCM.