Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tdci Mpg question

djnunny

hello there,

quick one for anyone that can answer i changed the fuel filter on my 1.8 tdci mk2.5 focus and it seems to be using a tad more fuel can the filter affect this??

i used a none ford filter from my local but people are saying to only ever use ford!

many thanks to anyone that can answer

People will say all sorts of crap, but when it comes to a fuel filter, I suspect the differences between 'Known' brands and ford is nothing or as near to nothing to make any noticeable difference, they are all probably made in the same factory anyway! 

I suspect you could probably find  a cheap no named Chinese knock off that's turns to mush when fuel passes through it but something known wont make any difference.  If the filter was restricting fuel going in then its not going to increase fuel consumption, but you would notice a lack of power, like running in to a wall, it will be noticeable, you put the power on and it just stops delivering additional power. 

Whats more likely is that the weather has changed in your area which has led to either A, hotter than usual, or B, Colder than usual, which can both effect mpg in different ways.  

It could also be that the previous filter was clogged up so much that it prevented you from delivering power to the wheels and now you have cleared it up your right foot has gotten a little heavier.  

very well makes sense in what your saying, ill leave it a little longer see if anything settles off.

i mean i don't know if anything else can affect it in any way just seems to be using a tad much although i know ther only a smallish tank at 53 litres

yeah, mine can fluctuate from 52 if I kick the balls out of it to 60 mpg.  the weather, can effect it up and down by as  much as 5 to 10mpg.  Cold weather will knock down it until it warms up, at which point it gets better MPG, hot weather can start it off quite good but gets worse the warmer it gets, rain is a killer, Wind direction, weight in the car, tyre PSI, air filter or  Intercooler being partially blocked.  There are literally dozens of things that could effect it.

Do you have an ELM327 device to check out the car and see whats going on?

i have a elm327 device yes, got a few meters setup on that it gives slightly different read outs to what my dash does

like dash can be saying 20mpg and the Torque pro app will be saying 40+ 

most annoying thing am finding at the minute if am cruising along in say 5th doing 50-60 the instant mpg shoots up to 99.9 which i know is wrong!

It can very easily jump to 99.9mpg. That's ford's calibrated mpg dash figure when you're not requesting any fuel. E.g if you're cruising at around 50-60mph then start going downhill expect it to jump to 99.9mpg as the engine doesn't need any fuel to keep the car travelling at whatever speed you're doing so the mpg is effectively infinite at that point in time. 

31 minutes ago, Sampson said:

It can very easily jump to 99.9mpg. That's ford's calibrated mpg dash figure when you're not requesting any fuel. E.g if you're cruising at around 50-60mph then start going downhill expect it to jump to 99.9mpg as the engine doesn't need any fuel to keep the car travelling at whatever speed you're doing so the mpg is effectively infinite at that point in time. 

i understand that happening on a down hill but i can have this happen on a straight, soon as the revs sit around 1500 it will show stupid high numbers

35 minutes ago, djnunny said:

i understand that happening on a down hill but i can have this happen on a straight, soon as the revs sit around 1500 it will show stupid high numbers

Cars are more efficient than you'll believe. It might be straight but there might also be a bit of a down hill angle to it you can't see. If the surface is good with very little resistance than this will also contribute to higher figures.

fair enough my concern is the fact i have only done 66 miles since last filling up and have used qtr tank lol

ignoring the car and using a calculator that giving me about 22mpg :(

judge it over a tank, then refil to brim and run it again, sometimes I can do 80 miles on a 1/4 tank, other times I can do 150, but by the time I get down to empty, its averaged out.  in short, give it a bit more time and see what happens.