Do Not Sell My Personal Information

frozen locks

blcky

i drive an 09 focus zetec. i've only had the car 2 months and recently in the cold weather i can open the car door but it won't shut again. the door just bounces open again. when the temperature rises or if i pour some water on the door it seems to release the mechanism and the door shuts again. is this a common fault with ford locks or should i book my car in to have the locks checked.

i haven't owned a ford for years and i haven't had this problem with any other make of car i have driven recently. is the lock mechanism insulated?

i drive an 09 focus zetec. i've only had the car 2 months and recently in the cold weather i can open the car door but it won't shut again. the door just bounces open again. when the temperature rises or if i pour some water on the door it seems to release the mechanism and the door shuts again. is this a common fault with ford locks or should i book my car in to have the locks checked.

i haven't owned a ford for years and i haven't had this problem with any other make of car i have driven recently. is the lock mechanism insulated?

This is not a lock problem, its a latch problem.

Take it in to the dealer . This is a safety issue. Kids in the passenger seat ect..ect..

yeah, not seen it on such new models tho....its where the latch spring doesnt snatch it back enough...may need new ones or strip down and service...but the labour for that could be more than just replacement!

Piggy :)

thanks guys. the car is under warranty but the garage said last week they couldn't do much as it was down to the cold weather.

surely ford must sell cars in colder countries than the uk. i will book it in and they can have a look at it.

hi, same problem today again. when i do get the door to shut, the computer still tells me the drivers door is open!!!!!!!! when i parked up the interior light was staying on. i was also getting a warning when driving saying the door was open.

do you reckon it is still a latch problem guys?

This is a warrantable issue mate i work for renault and we have people with latch problems u replace the lock unit the clip and the rod in a renault and yes ford locks do freeze up but not on a 09 plated lock take it back to ford a few times they will have to change it eventually sometimes it is the cold but if the light stays on too then the pin switch in the door is at fault to need any more help just pm me

cheers

Matt

• Like 1

thanks Matt, i took the car in to my local dealer. they replaced the door latch, it seems ok for now. it was down to -10 the other night and the lock was ok then. just hope that this has solved the problem

thanks Matt, i took the car in to my local dealer. they replaced the door latch, it seems ok for now. it was down to -10 the other night and the lock was ok then. just hope that this has solved the problem

Yeah they do the one we had bloke had slammed it to hard and screwwed it up but this was on a van and fords do suffer with lock problems later on in life mate so just beware

Cheers

Matt

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah they do the one we had bloke had slammed it to hard and screwwed it up but this was on a van and fords do suffer with lock problems later on in life mate so just beware

Cheers

Matt

have to agree it shouldnt have frozen ive a y reg mate and weve had minus 12 and i dont have frozen locks like that my door opens and shuts defo a faulty latch keep an eye on it and the first sign of it playing up take it back

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club