Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Garage put the wrong oil in my car, what now?

andy1741

I have a 2009 1.6 TDCI (110BHP) with 116k miles. I got my car serviced at a local independent garage. The spec for this car if I'm not mistaken is 5W-30. On the receipt from the garage it looks like they have put in 10W-40 instead.

Does this really make any realistic difference? Should I considered having this replaced to 5W-30 ASAP?

I've always been under the impression it is fairly vital to stick to the spec for the car but a few people have told me that it realistically makes no difference and if I change the oil every 6k miles there is no difference. Is this true or are the people who I have spoken to overlooking this completely?

I had also been extra cautious about only using 5W-30 in the past as this is my first diesel and car with a DPF. Would the have any affect on the DPF? I've heard of things such as low-ash spec oils before.

I'd get it changed out straight away not sure on oil specs but seems fairly important to use the right oil

Hi I'd change oil as soon as possible and make sure you use fully synthetic as it's what ford recommend

the 10W wont make much of a difference unless you live someplace very cold, it certainly wont be a problem this side of winter but the 40, on this specific engine might be  problem, the 40 relates to a viscosity at 100c which as it happens is about the operating temperature of this engine.

the problem is this car has some nasty side effects around the oil feed pipes for the turbo, a thicker oil will mean its going to be that little bit harder pumping oil around it, it also has a tendency to build up carbon deposits which will make the thicker oil even thicker.  Personally, id be changing that as soon as possible but I wouldn't be too worried about it if you look after the car, change the oil before 12k etc.

the next thing id do if I were you is get a couple of jack stands and a few tools and learn to do it yourself. 

• Like 2

yes, i echo what dee_82 says.  I had one of those engines in a fiesta (90bhp version).  because I knew of the reputation for oil starvation up to the turbo bearings I always did the oil changes myself using Castrol magnetec 5/30 and a genuine ford filter. I wouldn't take any chances on the oil on this engine.  If it was a non-turbo petrol engine I probably would not have cared.

• Like 2

take the car back to the garage and ask them to put the correct oil in for you as it was there mistake they put the wrong stuff in.

Castrol or Shell helix both around £22 each, will do the job

peugeot specs on the same engine is also 5w30, but also options depending on ambient temp of 0w30,  and 5w40,10w40(without dpf)

but ford only specify 5w30. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iantt said:

peugeot specs on the same engine is also 5w30, but also options depending on ambient temp of 0w30,  and 5w40,10w40(without dpf)

but ford only specify 5w30. 

Am I right in thinking ford ballsed up the design around the turbo oil feed etc?  I don't recall seeing much about Peugeot 1.6 HDi exploding but then I wasn't really looking so maybe they do...

There's loads on the Peugeot forum about this engine.  If you drive it properly, like once a week for  an hour at full temperature at motorway speeds you shouldn't get any bother as long as the oil is clean, my mum's old 1.8 duratec engine did most of its 260000 miles on mineral  truck oil 15w 40 and funny how it didn't suffer from piston ring or big end failure like hundreds of them did just out of warranty.  

• Like 1