Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk2 Focus air filter/induction kit upgrade

Carlito_74

Hi guys

i hope somebody can help me?

i have a 1.6 petrol Mk2 Ghia and was looking at options for upgrading in a sense my air filter or installing an induction kit. Now i know i'm not going to get a great deal of a performance boost out of my engine but anything thats better than the current stock panel filter is good for me!

i have looked at various threads and trawled the internet for different options and from what i have seen about the K&N 57s-4000 i would of liked to have gone for that or the alternative cheaper option of just the filter itself (E-9289), HOWEVER having opened up my air filter housing, i only have space for a panel filter?

as you can see from the photos am i now limited to only a panel filter? and do i have no way of fitting a cone filter of any sort? in one of the pictures the small little sponge thing is covering what must be the equivalent of the modern MAF? so presumably i couldn't just pull out the air filter housing and be done with it to place a cone filter in its space because this would need to be around somewhere to give a reading to the ECU?

What could be my options for upgrades?

any advice and opinions greatly appreciated!

IMG_20170526_204420.jpg

IMG_20170526_204331.jpg

IMG_20170526_204401.jpg

The small filter in the corner of the box is for the crank case breather.
The MAF is attached to the large pipe from the filter housing.
You can fit an aftetmarket cone filter kit but will need a seperate breather filter and heatshield to avoid heatsoak from the engine.
The kits should come with a modified intake hose with a location for fitting the MAF sensor.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

your not going to see any performance benefit of doing anything to it,  perhaps on some dyno you might be  able to see a difference but you wont feel it.

but you could try cut the box up a bit or fashion a collar with some silicone tubes and clips for a pod filter.

little sponge is to stop oil getting ingested, I believe you should see a small plastic tube connect to the airbox, that is the breather tube from the crank case, it takes the gasses from the crack case and recycles them but there might be an element of oil coming through as well so that sponge helps trap it before it gets sucked back in. disconnecting that pipe may cause some issues with venting the crank case, not sure how much of a problem that will be on this engine but they don't be these things in for no reason. also, venting that gas to atmosphere is illegal, its a closed loop system designed in such a  way that the only waste product to come out the car comes out the exhaust.

Just now, Stoney871 said:

The small filter in the corner of the box is for the crank case breather.
The MAF is attached to the large pipe from the filter housing.
You can fit an aftetmarket cone filter kit but will need a seperate breather filter and heatshield to avoid heatsoak from the engine.
The kits should come with a modified intake hose with a location for fitting the MAF sensor.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

beet me to it :) 

Course if your looking for a different noise then go for it, otherwise id not bother.

• Like 1

thanks for the reply guys!

i now understand what that little sponge and the pipe in the corner was for! you'll have to forgive me, as i'm fairly new to Ford after migrating over from Audi lol

so all in all, am i best just getting a different panel filter? or is there anyone who has done anything similar or someone you know has done something similar and fitted a cone filter and seperate breather filter? (if possible)

Performance isn't really a big deal as i know i won't get much if anything out of this particular engine.. just looking to get a bit more of a grumble from the engine to make up for the measly 100HP that it gives out :laugh:

that 100HP in 2007, she will  have lost some unicorns since then mate ;) Clive hit the nail on the head, you can proably fashion something out of silicone hoses and a generic pod filter, my mate cut the bottom out of his air box which gave impressive results, he actually brought a pod filter as well and customised a mount etc and it didn't really make any difference in noise over his customised air box. 

You can fit a K&N panel filter  to replace your existing one a lot do just this . It will flow better than the OEM one and can be washed when mucky so it saves you buying a new one at service. or you could ,take out your old air box  housing and fit a cone one as the others have said this usually comes with all the bits you need to fit but yo will need a heat shield and a possible cold air feed to keep thing nice this sometimes comes with the filter but is often a separate  item. It depends what you want the panel on its own will be quiet  like your OEM and probably won't sound any different the cone will sound a bit different if open  and not enclosed (depends on kit) and yes I have done both over the years. To get a good grumble perhaps a good quality cat back exhaust will do that for you maybe that's what you are looking for

• Like 1

many thanks for your replies guys!

i think for now it will be possibly just a panel filter or just have a look what i can do with the housing and put a couple of holes here and there maybe lol

haha yes Dee more than likely the car has lost a lot of horses over its time! still under 100k miles so holding strong to what it has left for now! :laugh:

i just fitted an ST rear bumper on my car too with the intent of fitting a dual exit cat back exhaust once funds can accommodate for this haha as i know it will have to be a custom job otherwise i could go for that £500 off the shelf one i've seen on here somewhere but i dont think £500 is justifiable! lol