Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Air Con comes and goes, any ideas?

VinceH1973

Hi all, 

Have a 2012 Focus 1.6tdci and since this beautiful weather and the requirement to put the air con on, I've noticed that it will blow cold for a while, then not and if I'm lucky will come back. It's not on Auto setting or anything like that and have just come back from it being regassed. 

Anybody had similar or know what it's likely to be? 

Thanks in advance. 

You have answered your own question... Take it back to where you got it re-gassed.

Thanks Gary. 

If I confused matters it was happening before the regas, also was done by Kwik Fit so assuming there is still a problem then I'd rather get it done by those that will know more about AC systems. 

Thanks for clarifying that it was happening before you got the re-gas.

I had similar symptoms on my Corsa D.  It turns out that it was the air con radiator that had corroded in a couple of spots.  This meant that there wasn't as much surface area for the heat exchange to take place efficiently.  So as the system gets to a certain temperature, it cuts out until it has cooled down and then runs again.  It was also worse the hotter the weather was.  So at 21c, when you just want a little blast of cool air, it was largely fine.  But at 25c +, when air con typically needs to run pretty much non-stop, it'd cut in and out every minute or two.

Presumably when the system is doing this, you can hear/feel the compressor engaging and disengaging?

This is just a guess based on what I had.  Car air con is actually quite a complicated, so it could of course be something else.

Just as a side note - air con on cars is a self lubricating and self preserving system.  It has to be used regularly to prevent seizing or corrosion.  So even in the winter, I give mine a run every other drive.

Cheers Gary. 

Indeed the compressor is engaging as I am getting cold air.  Just been about for 10 mins and put it on auto setting and ran fine for the whole trip.

I've always thought that if the system needs regular running to keep it in good shape, why  don't they have it on by default.