Do Not Sell My Personal Information

white smoke

chris26

hi there

i have had a oil leak for a couple of weeks. i took it to a local garage and got told the leak was coming from the gearbox. i took the car home jacked it up had a look myself. i found the oil leak coming from the oil filter (not gearbox were was told). i drained the sump replaced the oil filter started the car and there was white smoke. wot is this caused by it wasnt happening before i replaced oil/filter. have i done something wrong. thanks chris

hi there

i have had a oil leak for a couple of weeks. i took it to a local garage and got told the leak was coming from the gearbox. i took the car home jacked it up had a look myself. i found the oil leak coming from the oil filter (not gearbox were was told). i drained the sump replaced the oil filter started the car and there was white smoke. wot is this caused by it wasnt happening before i replaced oil/filter. have i done something wrong. thanks chris

have you over filled the oil and are you sure its white smoke and not steam from the cold

thanks for reply. I havent over filled it with oil. its started making a rattling noise now from the lower part of engine

what grade of oil did you put in? 5w/30?

don't drive it...may cause terminal damage if you truly have got a rattle from lower part of engine!!!!

Don't mean to be picky...but you put in original post this....

"i drained the sump replaced the oil filter started the car and there was white smoke."

did you refill it!?!?!?!?!

And as above...what grade of oil did you use??

Have you checked again underneath for leaks?

Piggy :)

don't drive it...may cause terminal damage if you truly have got a rattle from lower part of engine!!!!

Don't mean to be picky...but you put in original post this....

"i drained the sump replaced the oil filter started the car and there was white smoke."

did you refill it!?!?!?!?!

And as above...what grade of oil did you use??

Have you checked again underneath for leaks?

Piggy :)

I used Shell x oil 15w-40 (5 litres). Checked again no oil leak i been in touch with my local garage who said its the Head gasket. I carn't believe the Head has gone from a simple oil/filter change.

wot oil do you recomend (focus mk1 tddi 1.8 2000 reg)

I used shell x oil 15w-40 (5 litres). Checked again no oil leak i been in touch with my local garage who said its the Head gasket. I carn't believe the Head has gone from a simple oil/filter change.

EEK! well theres the problem. should be using nothing other than 5w/30. chances are the oil you used has been too thick to get around the components in the engine. remember that the oil doesnt just lubricate it also removes heat from parts of the engine.

EEK! well theres the problem. should be using nothing other than 5w/30. chances are the oil you used has been too thick to get around the components in the engine. remember that the oil doesnt just lubricate it also removes heat from parts of the engine.

I best drain the sump and get the right oil a.s.a.p. thanks for that, maybe the guy who sold me the oil and filter should have realised wen i gave him the make and model of the car.(after i change oil do you think the car will be ok or is it to late)

I best drain the sump and get the right oil a.s.a.p. thanks for that, maybe the guy who sold me the oil and filter should have realised wen i gave him the make and model of the car.(after i change oil do you think the car will be ok or is it to late)

without seing the car i would really hate to say. have you lost and water? have a look and make sure there is no oil in it. also check your oil when you drain it, see if any of it is gungy like its had water in it.

change the oil and see what happens but i would prepare for the worst im afraid :(

i cant think of any 'modern' ford that uses anything other than 5w30 so i woulda thought this is common knowledge to parts shops.

without seing the car i would really hate to say. have you lost and water? have a look and make sure there is no oil in it. also check your oil when you drain it, see if any of it is gungy like its had water in it.

change the oil and see what happens but i would prepare for the worst im afraid :(

i cant think of any 'modern' ford that uses anything other than 5w30 so i woulda thought this is common knowledge to parts shops.

Checked water no oil in it/not loosing any water.Drained oil no sign of water or gungy water signs. there was 1or2 fine metal fileing's around the plug from sump.

Checked water no oil in it/not loosing any water.Drained oil no sign of water or gungy water signs. there was 1or2 fine metal fileing's around the plug from sump.

i hope the little metal filings aren't too serious but it would be very hard to say. if you haven't lost any coolant then thats a good sign.

the metal filings are not a good sign sounds like youve ruined the engine mate 15w/40 in a ford is suicide way too thick so the cars had no lubrication and importantly the heat hasnt been removed by the flow of the oil.

believe it or not the parts shop should never have sold you 15w oil all fords are 5w thats common knowledge except in places like Halfords where they will sell you anything.

ide say the piston bores or the rings but it sounds like its gonna be expensive

the metal filings are not a good sign sounds like youve ruined the engine mate 15w/40 in a ford is suicide way too thick so the cars had no lubrication and importantly the heat hasnt been removed by the flow of the oil.

believe it or not the parts shop should never have sold you 15w oil all fords are 5w thats common knowledge except in places like halfords where they will sell you anything.

ide say the piston bores or the rings but it sounds like its gonna be expensive

Ill get some 5w oil 2morrow and fill engine with it hopefully its not as bad as it sounds. As ive only turned the car over a handfull of times since the oil change (not driven the car) and it was Halfords who sold me it maybe it was the priceyest oil and sawme coming?

Ill get some 5w oil 2morrow and fill engine with it hopefully its not as bad as it sounds. As ive only turned the car over a handfull of times since the oil change (not driven the car) and it was halfords who sold me it maybe it was the priceyest oil and sawme coming?

take it back and tell the manager that there staff sold you the wrong oil for the car they have a database the reg is all they need to find the right stuff tell him that if theres costly damage you will be complaining although he meight use the you should have checked the book speach fact is they shouldnt be selling stuff that isnt suitable for the cars i went in fo r a battery and they tried to flog me a lead acid one at 100 quid its common knowledge that fords use silver calcium batteries bunch of twats the lot of them wouldnt trust them to put a hoover bag in

take it back and tell the manager that there staff sold you the wrong oil for the car they have a database the reg is all they need to find the right stuff tell him that if theres costly damage you will be complaining although he meight use the you should have checked the book speach fact is they shouldnt be selling stuff that isnt suitable for the cars i went in fo r a battery and they tried to flog me a lead acid one at 100 quid its common knowledge that fords use silver calcium batteries bunch of twats the lot of them wouldnt trust them to put a hoover bag in

absolutely couldnt agree more! get back to Halfords and make a complaint. they have no reason to sell you the wrong oil and as artscot says, the computer system should be telling them what grade!

i would atleast want 5L of good quality 5w/30 oil for free.

worth a try to see what they have to say.

if like you say, you have only turned it a handful of times then you might just get lucky!

I used shell x oil 15w-40 (5 litres). Checked again no oil leak i been in touch with my local garage who said its the Head gasket. I carn't believe the Head has gone from a simple oil/filter change.

Old Ford diesels used this spec oil (well my old mondogger did) but as stated the newer TDDi and TDCi ONLY use 5W30 semi or fully synthetic. It wont have come down to selling you a dearer spec oil as 5W30 isnt that cheap for good quality Semi-synth. You'll be looking at about £35 for 5 litres.

i hate Halfords they couldnt find you an air freshner ive argued a few times with them especially when they tried to flog me that acid battery for the focus most cars now use smart charge and acid batteries are few and far between yet they sell people this crap daily people who dont know any better ive seen them try to flog me an oil filter that looked like it would fit a tank it was enormous i checked the part number myself on google to fit a ford transit diesel unless you know exactly what you want avoid Halfords

absolutely couldnt agree more! get back to halfords and make a complaint. they have no reason to sell you the wrong oil and as artscot says, the computer system should be telling them what grade!

i would atleast want 5L of good quality 5w/30 oil for free.

worth a try to see what they have to say.

if like you say, you have only turned it a handful of times then you might just get lucky!

Well i took the oil back to Halfords got new oil for free £50 voucher not bad i suppose. Put new oil in same problem got it towed to a garage engine died. its costing me £300 for engine and £150 labour im sure i will never go to Halfords again. After 2morrow when i try to give them the £450 bill

Well i took the oil back to halfords got new oil for free £50 voucher not bad i suppose. Put new oil in same problem got it towed to a garage engine died. its costing me £300 for engine and £150 labour im sure i will never go to halfords again. After 2morrow when i try to give them the £450 bill

sorry to hear it well ide certainly be taking the bill into them mate as i suspected it sounded from the description of metal fragments that the damage was done doesnt take much sometimes at least youll have a new engine on the brighter side of things

Well i took the oil back to halfords got new oil for free £50 voucher not bad i suppose. Put new oil in same problem got it towed to a garage engine died. its costing me £300 for engine and £150 labour im sure i will never go to halfords again. After 2morrow when i try to give them the £450 bill

:o :( what a disaster! not really what you need, especially just after xmas.

£150 labour to get an engine swapped is very good though. If you are being serious about trying to pass the £450 bill onto Halfords and they dont want to know you just ask them for contact details for their head office.

:o :( what a disaster! not really what you need, especially just after xmas.

£150 labour to get an engine swapped is very good though. If you are being serious about trying to pass the £450 bill onto halfords and they dont want to know you just ask them for contact details for their head office.

So i went back to Halfords 2day with my bill/quote for engine. They didnt want to know at first untill my tagalong father inlaw opend his mouth. Threating them with trading standards and getting in touch with our local paper. Managers look on his face was priceless i walked out with £300 in vouchers to cover the price of engine. They wouldnt foot the bill for labour the guy who sold me the oil has been suspended. I get my car back 2morrow with a engine in from a 53 plate focus (3 years newer than wot mine was) Thank you all for your help ..............chris...................

Result, pity about the chap being suspended, but if he can't do something as simple as advise the correct oil, then he's obviously in the wrong job!

sadly Halfords used top have guys who knew there stuff these days they employ boy racers who quite frankly know !Removed! except tinkering at least you got some result from it like i said mine isnt any better selling the wrong batteries for cars and the wrong oils but come on a newer engine cant grumble at that