Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Power steering switch leak

madman

On my way home I got couple miles from home when I noise appeared from engine. I managed get car back slowly.

When I got back see trail of drips and a puddle.

I looked at car today and see it's power steering fluid. It can't be pipes has had them changed to modified version along with union nut. I thought it was the pump gone.

So i decided call out the breakdown service. After inspection they said it's a power steering switch leak on the pump.

Has anyone else had this problem and would this switch cause it to lose fluid nearly a container full.

Thank you

Son had the switch leak on his mk6 fiesta facelift and yes it leaked all the fluid out!

Is it only a ford dealer part or elsewhere

I had one go on my mk1 focus, I managed to get a patent one for about £25

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

On my way home I got couple miles from home when I noise appeared from engine. I managed get car back slowly.

I looked at car today and see it's power steering fluid. It can't be pipes has had them changed to modified version along with union nut. I thought it was the pump gone.

So i decided call out the breakdown service. After inspection they said it's a power steering switch leak on the pump.

Has anyone else had this problem and would this switch cause it to lose fluid nearly a container full.

Thank you

On my way home in my focus I got couple miles from home when I noise appeared from engine. I managed get car back slowly.

Thank you

My Mk1 Focus had the switch fail about a month ago, it emptied the reservoir in a surprisingly short time

It's only a 2 minute job to change it.

The Ford Part No is (Finis 1076647) which cost around £45 or you could get a non-OE one for around £25

Sorry for the double post I tried to edit my first post and it posted twice more

I have mk2 focus. The breakdown service said was power steering pressure switch and said pump was ok as I only drove couple miles back. Does it make pump really noisy.

2 hours ago, madman said:

I have mk2 focus.

Ford Part No (Finis 1076647) is fitted to both the later Mk1 (Mk1.5) and Mk2 Foci

Thank you to all.

The breakdown service refill the reservoir up again who diagnosed the fault. Is it Ok to change the pressure switch with a filled up reservoir.

Got switch out today lost all fluid which was pink. The breakdown service gave me litre bottle of automatic transmission and power steering applications but my car is manual. Will it be ok to use

Thank you to all replied. Car all done now new pressure switch 50 and fluid 10.

• 2 years later...

Hi Madman, can you please tell me where the switch is on the mk2? I am under my car at the moment and can't find it anywhere on the rack or pump! Much appreciated. 

double check the clips on the fluid reservoir, stupid design and they don't go tight (swap out for jubilee clips) 

also don't hold your breath that fixed it, I think some ***** garages don't do the union up tight and without pulling stuff apart the modified pipes strengthening tab stops you getting a spanner on it to check / nip it up

It's on the pump not the rack if u find alternater under that is power steering pump. Didn't take long to do. 

• 10 months later...

The steering on our 2007 Focus MK 2 started getting very heavy at the weekend and I can see a lot of power steering fluid around the pipe and switch just below the reservoir and hoped the hose hadn't failed as it was replaced approx 2yrs ago. Added quite a lot of power steering fluid to the reservoir and it just leaked straight out again, so sprayed some degreaser around the area and re-started the engine and could immediately see fluid seeping around the switch so hopefully it's a simple fix. Cost from local Ford dealer is approx £80 and less than half for a pattern part any advantage in buying genuine at this age of the car?

I recall last time I posted I caused a bit of a storm with red v green fluid so if I go green this time can I mix the 2 or must I flush before moving to green, and is there a premium for going green in this instance?

TIA

Collected a pattern part from GSF for £33 and then spent the best part of an hour out in the heat trying to work out how to change the switch. I soon realised a socket was impossible but by removing the headlight for access I could sneak a stubby 19mm ring spanner in from the l/h side and removed & fitted the new one, hope I got enough leverage to keep it tightened up! Filled up with red ATF and fingers crossed the leak has gone for good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...

Hello everyone, I'm hoping I can be pointed in the right direction. I recently had a leak on my2008 1.6l manual Mk2.5 focus, it was leaking from the hole in the middle of the connecter, I bought cheap patten part and all was fine for about 10 days when again the noise started and steering got heavy, looking for the leak I could see that the new part had failed in the same way as the old one and being that it was a cheap part I assume it failed for that reason. I then replaced it with a genuine Ford part which cost £80 just for the switch. I installed the new genuine pressure switch which was great for about 3 weeks when again the noise came and the oil leaking from the hole in the switch. I realise something is coursing the switch to fail but I'm not sure how to identify the course so any help and guidance will be greatly appreciated

Regards

Harry

10 hours ago, Harry UK said:

Hello everyone, I'm hoping I can be pointed in the right direction. I recently had a leak on my2008 1.6l manual Mk2.5 focus, it was leaking from the hole in the middle of the connecter, I bought cheap patten part and all was fine for about 10 days when again the noise started and steering got heavy, looking for the leak I could see that the new part had failed in the same way as the old one and being that it was a cheap part I assume it failed for that reason. I then replaced it with a genuine Ford part which cost £80 just for the switch. I installed the new genuine pressure switch which was great for about 3 weeks when again the noise came and the oil leaking from the hole in the switch. I realise something is coursing the switch to fail but I'm not sure how to identify the course so any help and guidance will be greatly appreciated

Regards

Harry

The switches fail quite often but I can't remember seeing another one that keeps blowing new switches like that.

Sounds like there's too much pressure in the hydraulic system.  I take it the reservoir isn't overfilled?  Though I'd expect any excess there to be blown out of the cap.  Only other thing I can think of is that there must be a partial blockage somewhere in the rack restricting the flow.  I know that's not much help though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Only other thing I can think of is that there must be a partial blockage somewhere in the rack restricting the flow. 

Yes agreed.

On those racks there are two hydraulic pipes, flow and return. If there is a problem with the return line then it will cause excessive pressure to build up in the rack. I'd look for damaged or kinked pipes between the rack and the pump. 

• Like 1