Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What RPM do you drive at?

OPLxx

Just went from a 1.4 TDCI to a 1.0 Ecoboost red edition (both fiestas). Absolutely love the car :D

I always knew that the RPM on a petrol would be different from the diesel but then that got me thinking. What RPM should I be driving at?

Currently I keep my rpm anywhere from 2,250 to 3,000 when driving casually. Love this as it's not stupidly high and it keeps the turbo going so you can get that 'boost' feeling when you want it. Just wondering what you guys/girls drive at?

As low revs as possible in as high a gear as possible so as not to bog down the engine.

So around 1500rpm if I can. That's only on a flat though obviously.

Really there is no set revs, it depends on the road/conditions/traffic, etc. I can't see the point keep revs higher than they need to be though, just a waste of fuel and wear, plus it doesn't take very long to drop a gear when you need to.

Also even if your revs are at 2-3k the turbo will barely be spinning if you are just cruising.

Maximum revs [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

www.tomholroydphotography.co.uk

4 hours ago, alexp999 said:

As low revs as possible in as high a gear as possible so as not to bog down the engine.

So around 1500rpm if I can. That's only on a flat though obviously.

Really there is no set revs, it depends on the road/conditions/traffic, etc. I can't see the point keep revs higher than they need to be though, just a waste of fuel and wear, plus it doesn't take very long to drop a gear when you need to.

Also even if your revs are at 2-3k the turbo won't be spinning if you are just cruising, that's what the actuator is for. It only brings it in on demand or it would overheat.

The turbo will spin all the time there is exhaust gas being produced, so all the time the engine is on, the actuator controls the wastegate which when the boost pressure is reached open the wastegate and diverts the exhaust gas down the exhaust.

21 minutes ago, MarksST said:

The turbo will spin all the time there is exhaust gas being produced, so all the time the engine is on, the actuator controls the wastegate which when the boost pressure is reached open the wastegate and diverts the exhaust gas down the exhaust.

Done some more research and edited the post. Was thinking wastegate bypassed it when not needed when in fact it's the throttle body limiting the flow through the engine. (At least on petrol).

My point was just that you can be at any engine speed and have no boost, if just cruising. You'll still get turbo lag as you can't keep the turbo on boost all the time.

As low as possible without labouring the engine! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jmurray01 said:

As low as possible without labouring the engine! 

+1.

• Like 2