Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk 2 Turbo Failure, ERG and DPF

dedon

Hi

I am hoping someone here can help.

I was driving my 2009 1.6 TDCI focus diesel yesterday and the power suddenly went on the motorway. I eased off for the next 10km. Then a lot of smoke started to come out the exhaust. I mean a lot. I look after my car and keep it serviced. 120miles on the clock.

I got it home, around 3km more driving.

The AA had a look last night and the turbo fault code came up. The mechanic said there was play on the turbo too. Checked the oil and loads was used.

Also just to add I got three fuel injectors cleaned and seals replaced a week back. Could this have impacted it?

--------------------

Update..

So the car went to the garage today and here is what happened.

Garage confirmed a replacement turbo is needed, as suspected.

Apparently I need a new ERG valve and also potentially a new DPF. They mentioned they may be able to clean the DPF. They got a code from the EMU for each.

I understand something had to cause the turbo to fail but does this sound right? The car is really low on oil after the drive when the failure happened as mentioned above.

Haven't gotten it fully priced but it sounds like a super expensive job.

Thanks

if the oil seals expired it may have just ingested all the oil, the colour of the smoke would have given it away, if it was oil expect it to be a white-Blue cloud, if the smoke was because of a lack of air, then expect it to be black. Sounds like you just burned it up, Id expect t he IC to be full of oil as well.  

the EGR I would personally suggest you just block it off, if you get EMLs on it then consider getting it mapped out or get a second hand valve, I personally wouldn't spend much or any money on it right now though.

The DPF could be utterly caked in soot deposits from the burnt oil, whilst you can possibly clean it out with a regen it will just turn to ash which depending on the qty of the stuff, could still cause you problems.  There are other services that can help a DPF such as an ultra sonic bath but depending on the condition of it, you may just need a new one, the fact you drove at all suggests that it isn't that bad so fingers crossed :) 

Earlier version of this engine had serious issues with carbonisation of the oil, lumps of crud blocking filters, starving the turbo of oil resulting in it blowing up. 

Smarter people on here will know better but I reckon its the turbo seals, if it is your quite lucky you didn't get a run away causing the engine to rev uncontrollably until it drinks all the oil and the engine seizes.  if it is a seal I don't know if the turbo can be recon'd, but I doubt the garage will do any work at all on the engine if you don't replace it and have the whole engine flushed. there is a very lengthy process for dealing with turbo fails on this car, in some cases where this hasn't been followed the car has driven 100 yards down the road only for it to blow up again so make sure its done right! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dee_82 said:

Earlier version of this engine had serious issues with carbonisation of the oil, lumps of crud blocking filters, starving the turbo of oil resulting in it blowing up

Its very important with any turbo Engine that you service it very regular even more so with those that Mod. With Modern engines with these enclosed breather systems it can cause may carbonisation problems .The Turbo relies on relatively clean oil and clean filters( some turbo's have a small  oil filter them self's ) to live a full heathy life>I change my oil twice a year with good quality oil(I don't use the cheep stuff because of the turbo).It woun't stop the seals going through age but the turbo will thank you for it. Its unlikely that your injectors/seals will have had any impact at all on the turbo itself.Its moe likely old  nasty oil or just worn out with time (like me lol).When/if they change the turbo they will normally change all the turbo  oil feed pipes/filter to as a precaution at the same time

• Like 2

yeah, I do 6k oil changes religiously with this engine.  changed the sump a few months back and I'm pleased to say she was sparkling when I look up inside

api-presentation_1.6_hdi_carbon_issues-3-2.pdf

here is some grim reading regarding early version of this engine, even though your engine is newer, I would strongly suggest they follow that to the letter, the last thing you want is them replacing the turbo only to find your new one jumps out the bonnet half way back home, as I understand it, warranties will not be honoured by the manufacture if they didn't followed the checklist

• Like 2

I had the same 1.6TDCi engine in my old MK2 facelift... you've got away lightly. I had injector seal failure, and it took my engine out completely. Not fun when you take your key out and the engine is still revving at 10,000rpm+!

If I'd known about these issues, and the some of the tips to keep these engines running before I brought it I'd probably still have her today.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club