Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Air filter

bananacat

HI

I Have 2012 1.6 diesel ecoboost and I'm thinking about changing the paper filter to a K&N direct replacement (not induction kit). Has anyone done it? Was it worth it? What type do I need?

Thanks

Chris.

Hey Chris.

I am having same dilemma with my 09 plate.

From what I learned on here something about K&N filter oil can get into the mass air flow sensor so a lot of people go with the cotton green performance filters.

I have just bought one today off evilbay :twisted1:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Green-Cotton-Performance-Air-Filter-FORD-FOCUS-II-06-07-1-6L-TDCI-/231021229984?rsta=en_GB(en_GB)&cnac=GB&mail=sys&e=op&unp_tpcid=email-receipt-auction-payment&ppid=PPX000608&calf=35665f55a94ee&calc=35665f55a94ee&pgrp=main:email&unptid=40f135a4-478c-11e7-ad1c-441ea1479d34&mchn=em&t=&s=ci&page=main:email&cal=35665f55a94ee&cust=

I'll let you know middle of next week what difference I have found and if I recommend these kinda filters :thumbup:

Brilliant thanks mate

I had k&n, and now the cone. I like both of them, as they change the feel of the car, you can alternate them.

Anyone got info on the MK3 focus with replacement filter (not induction kit)

I have the K&N E-9289 replacement filter. This is the same filter that is included in the K&N 57S-4000 kit. Compared to the normal K&N E-2993 replacement filter this filter has a larger filtration surface (a larger amount of lamellas creates a larger filtration surface). Another advantage of this filter is the removable end cap. The filter can both be used with or without the end cap. Removal of the end cap transforms the air filter into a semi open air filter.

I have this filter for about 2 Years now without any problems. The price of the K&N E-9289 and the K&N E-2993 is about the same so personally I would always choose for the K&N E-9289 replacement filter. 

MAF sensor problems are usually caused by excessively oiled filters. The excessive oil on the filter material gets sucked through the inlet and covers the MAF sensor with a thin coating of oil. This oil on the MAF sensor can cause problems. A few Years ago many K&N filters were already excessively oiled from the factory which caused many problems. However this problem should be solved. All K&N filters I used within the last few Years were just lightly oiled from the factory and never caused any problems. After unpacking a new K&N filter it should feel dry. If not the filter should be cleaned, properly oiled and dried before use. 

• Like 2

Thank you very much for your advice.

Would you recommend the K&N over the PX1746?

Whether to buy a K&N or Pipercross replacement filter is basically a personal preference. The maintenance of both filters is basically the same.

Same as the K&N filter the Pipercross filter also needs to be cleaned and oiled after some time. Many people think that pipercross filter are not oiled and choose for a pipercross filter because of the lack of oiling. However this is completely wrong.

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Careful you get the right one - the 1.6 Ecoboost turbo is a petrol engine, the 1.6 TDCi is diesel. Two completely different engines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On ‎04‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 7:32 AM, JW1982 said:

I have the K&N E-9289 replacement filter. This is the same filter that is included in the K&N 57S-4000 kit. Compared to the normal K&N E-2993 replacement filter this filter has a larger filtration surface (a larger amount of lamellas creates a larger filtration surface). Another advantage of this filter is the removable end cap. The filter can both be used with or without the end cap. Removal of the end cap transforms the air filter into a semi open air filter.

I was thinking of replacing the 2993 with the 9289.  Is there any noticeable difference in performance and intake noise with the end cap removed?

I used the K&N E-9289 both with and without the removeable end cap installed. In my opinion removal of the end cap definetely makes a difference. However it also depends on the type of engine. On the 1.0 ECOboost the improved induction noise is pretty well noticeable but it is not a major difference. 

After a Year or so I became used to the improved induction noise. I have a spare air filter housing cover which I plan to modify and convert to a custom made Focus RS style air filter housing cover.

• Like 1

I've just been looking at this myself :D

I've just replaced the 2993 with the 9289 and to my surprise, it has made no noticeable difference to the intake noise.  The car is fitted with a  Bluefin remap so is a swift mover, particularly in second gear, therefore without a dyno session it would be a bit difficult to tell if the 9289 has increased power output.  Verdict; not quite sure but will stick with it.

On ‎17‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 3:45 PM, JW1982 said:

After a Year or so I became used to the improved induction noise. I have a spare air filter housing cover which I plan to modify and convert to a custom made Focus RS style air filter housing cover.

JW1982  There are a couple of RS Mk 3 air boxes on eBay.  Do you know if the cover fixing is the same as on my 1.0 Ecoboost, ie could I just use the cover?

Yes, the MK3 RS air filter housing top cover will fit perfectly on the air filter housing of the 1.0 ECOboost.

Be aware that a brand new complete Focus MK3 RS air filter housing assembly (including the top cover and original paper air filter) cost about €110,- from Ford. With a bit of discount even less. In some cases even cheaper than a used one frome eBay.

Thanks Wilco, you're a gent.

Hi guys, any one got a second hand E2993 filter for sale? I'm looking for one. 👍

P.S. sorry for the hijack.

Sorry to hijack this but how to you clean them 

On ‎25‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 11:13 AM, JamesMalin said:

£100 on ebay.

Much to my surprise, the Ford standard air box and filter is only 30 quids, so bought one and modified the cover along the lines of the RS.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Freddy42 said:

Much to my surprise, the Ford standard air box and filter is only 30 quids, so bought one and modified the cover along the lines of the RS.

Photos please :)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JamesMalin said:

Photos please :)

Highly scientific; a one inch hole punch.  A tad more air but no perceptible difference.

P1030788.JPG