Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clicking noise inside of car when turning

Richdot

Idicator stalk is fine, car front suspension is all fine doesn't pull nothing all good but when you turn right not at all the time get a clicking noise from the steering rack it seems? Anyone heard or had the problem know what it is please as I said doesn't do it all the time but still slightly annoying. 

Thanks 

not sure if you mean the clicking is actually as you turn the steering wheel or if you mean the clicking is as the car turns right but you are not actually moving the steering wheel at that moment (as you have already turned it right). Clicking whilst the car is turning the corner (the 2nd scenario) is usually due to excessive play/dryness in the cv joints (on the outer ends of the drive shafts)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, isetta said:

not sure if you mean the clicking is actually as you turn the steering wheel or if you mean the clicking is as the car turns right but you are not actually moving the steering wheel at that moment (as you have already turned it right). Clicking whilst the car is turning the corner (the 2nd scenario) is usually due to excessive play/dryness in the cv joints (on the outer ends of the drive shafts)

Only when cars moving and the noise is inside the car sounds like steering rack area down there, clicking noise 

Not sure if it's coming from the pedal area slightly annoying nobody heard of this or had the problem and rectified it? 

Hi Richard

Just saw this. what type of clicking is? does it get louder/faster as the car speeds or slows?

if you think it coming from inside the car double check that all the plastic trim around that area is secure and not flapping around especially the areas wjhere the steering rack adjuster is.

1 hour ago, sonic113 said:

Hi Richard

Just saw this. what type of clicking is? does it get louder/faster as the car speeds or slows?

if you think it coming from inside the car double check that all the plastic trim around that area is secure and not flapping around especially the areas wjhere the steering rack adjuster is.

Hi mate it's just a click click like a sort of noise defo inside the car like rack or pedal area and only seem to notice it when I turn or coming out of a turn to straighten up. Strange one 

• Like 1

i know that on fiesta mk7 they had a problem with the universal joints on the shaft between steering wheel and the rack clicking (dry and stiff joints). I don't know if your focus could have a similar problem

1 hour ago, isetta said:

i know that on fiesta mk7 they had a problem with the universal joints on the shaft between steering wheel and the rack clicking (dry and stiff joints). I don't know if your focus could have a similar problem

Would that not be a hallow knock or knocking noise though? As I said it's so inconsistent it's hard to say what it is sometimes it can do it 3-4 times on journey to work well tonight it only did it once so it was only the one click... almost sounds electrical near the rack/pedals 

18 hours ago, Richdot said:

Hi mate it's just a click click like a sort of noise defo inside the car like rack or pedal area and only seem to notice it when I turn or coming out of a turn to straighten up. Strange one 

That sound like a dose to pinpoint. does it sound like a creak or the type of click you get from an indicator relay? spray a little wd40 over the steering rack joints  just to elimate them, it will keep them nice and free ayways.

On 06/06/2017 at 0:41 PM, sonic113 said:

That sound like a dose to pinpoint. does it sound like a creak or the type of click you get from an indicator relay? spray a little wd40 over the steering rack joints  just to elimate them, it will keep them nice and free ayways.

It does sound like a faint clicking relay I suppose mate but still not 100% where it's actually coming from 

This clicking noise I can feel it on the pedals when it does it any ideas?

On 2017-6-9 at 9:55 AM, Richdot said:

This clicking noise I can feel it on the pedals when it does it any ideas?

To be honest I havenet got a clue lol! I cant think of what would be clicking in that area but check the steering rack under thereand any trimming in case they are catching, also check the pedal tops where they attach just to make sure nothing is catching or have broken .

Nope me neither I am sure I can feel the clicking on the brake pedal when it does it... but the noise is defo inside the car 

Would it be possible for a brake or clutch switch to be causing this problem? or also seems if theres like a little lift in the road while turning thats when it also starting doing the clicking noise... 

• Like 1

On 2017-6-16 at 11:19 AM, Richdot said:

Would it be possible for a brake or clutch switch to be causing this problem? or also seems if theres like a little lift in the road while turning thats when it also starting doing the clicking noise... 

It could be but I honestly doutb it as these switches have little springs which keeps the tension on them so for them to click just when turning would be a suprise ot me. are you 100% sure its not any parts of the plastic trim ect clicking or moving? also would it be possible to get a video clip to hear the click sound as it may help pinpoint it.?

• 1 month later...

Yeah it's the brake pedal mate deffo... when it happens if I tap the pedal after it clicks I can then get it to click... further I get down the road it stops won't click when I tab the pedal so am thinking one of the brake switches???

• 11 months later...
On 7/28/2017 at 2:02 PM, Richdot said:

Yeah it's the brake pedal mate deffo... when it happens if I tap the pedal after it clicks I can then get it to click... further I get down the road it stops won't click when I tab the pedal so am thinking one of the brake switches???

Hi Richdot, did you ever get to the bottom of this? I have exactly this problem and its doing my head in. when turning to the right, usually if its a more violent turn/corner, the click/tapping starts. then I can depress the brake pedal several times and cause it to click/tap. it will then return to no clicking/tapping after 20/30secs. sounds like metal rod tapping on metal when pressing the brake. very weird, hopefully not expensive!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2018 at 9:45 PM, M1llsy said:

Hi Richdot, did you ever get to the bottom of this? I have exactly this problem and its doing my head in. when turning to the right, usually if its a more violent turn/corner, the click/tapping starts. then I can depress the brake pedal several times and cause it to click/tap. it will then return to no clicking/tapping after 20/30secs. sounds like metal rod tapping on metal when pressing the brake. very weird, hopefully not expensive!!

any luck Nick geting sorted?

On 8/2/2018 at 8:35 PM, sonic113 said:

any luck Nick geting sorted?

Not yet, garage has advised waiting a bit longer as they couldnt make it happen when they test drove it. need to go back and take them out really.

Had all of the brakes apart the other day (changing discs and pads) and took the arch liner out, got my better half to sit in it and depress the brake pedal, can see anything that is moving/would cause the noise. very strange!

• Like 1

On 8/8/2018 at 8:43 AM, M1llsy said:

Not yet, garage has advised waiting a bit longer as they couldnt make it happen when they test drove it. need to go back and take them out really.

Had all of the brakes apart the other day (changing discs and pads) and took the arch liner out, got my better half to sit in it and depress the brake pedal, can see anything that is moving/would cause the noise. very strange!

Hopefully it shows its face soon and you can get to the bottom of it. Keep us updated on how it goes anyways.

• 9 months later...

So my c max has started doing this. Did you ever find the cause? I'm thinking maybe the power steering.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club