Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Edge Sport V Vignale

Clarked6

6f0554cb597237bc92d1e75c085c2719.png

The understanding I get from this, is you pay the rate for 5 years + the first year totalling 6, so say it's may 2020 and I've bought one registered and taxed in may 2017. I pay the final 2 payments of £450 then it drops down to £140 if I'm reading it correctly?

Yes, that's how I read it too. If mine had been registered 3 weeks later it would have cost me an additional £1550 over 5 years.

And of course depending on the spec of the car you buy- it may well not have crossed the £40k boundary new. 

2 hours ago, Clarked6 said:

As I'll be buying second hand, the tax won't make much difference will it?

I've got a 58 BMW so just pay £30 a year, so haven't taken too much notice of the tax changes.

Oh yes! See here: https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables it's quite complex.

Funny how Ford works, just spoke to a man who had a 3 year old kuga which had sync 3 installed in it, yet my 6 month old edge only has sync 2. baffles me.

Oh yes! See here: https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables it's quite complex.

Is what I've put above right then, if it's over £40k then irrespective of owner you pay the increased tax rate. After the 6 years it drops down to £140.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The list price of my Edge was a tad over £39K, so it would not have incurred anything but the first year levy, then normal road tax year on year, which I don't think is greatly different from the new fee since April.

edit - I got mine in January so the yearly rate is similar to the new yearly rate. 

Edited by Edge of Reason
Clarification.

On 2017-6-5 at 3:21 PM, Clarked6 said:

As I'll be buying second hand, the tax won't make much difference will it?

I've got a 58 BMW so just pay £30 a year, so haven't taken too much notice of the tax changes.

If you buy a Ford Edge Sport with a list price of over £40k (excluding any discounts or offers) registered after April 1st 2017 you have a £310 premium per year until the car is 6 years old (5 yrs following initial payment). Makes it £440 per year. Someone else gets hit with the £500 first year tax bill (or the dealer if you buy new) as the 20" wheels push it from 149g/km to 153g/km which is a high tax emissions bracket.

On 09/06/2017 at 3:27 PM, stevekdavis said:

If you buy a Ford Edge Sport with a list price of over £40k (excluding any discounts or offers) registered after April 1st 2017 you have a £310 premium per year until the car is 6 years old (5 yrs following initial payment). Makes it £440 per year. Someone else gets hit with the £500 first year tax bill (or the dealer if you buy new) as the 20" wheels push it from 149g/km to 153g/km which is a high tax emissions bracket.

Whereas my 2016 Ttitanium TDCI 210 powershift with 20" wheels is only £190 for the same emissions.

Is it? I thought they were all £150?

Well, it says here.............. https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables/rates-for-cars-registered-on-or-after-1-march-2001 My V5 says 152 g/km CO2, so £190 by my reckoning.

Petrol car (TC48) and diesel car (TC49)

Band CO2emission (g/km) Single 12 month payment Single 12 month payment by Direct Debit Total of 12 monthly instalments by Direct Debit Single 6 month payment Single 6 month payment by Direct Debit
A Up to 100 £0 N/A N/A N/A N/A
B 101-110 £20 £20 £21 N/A N/A
C 111-120 £30 £30 £31.50 N/A N/A
D 121-130 £115 £115 £120.75 £63.25 £60.38
E 131-140 £135 £135 £141.75 £74.25 £70.88
F 141-150 £150 £150 £157.50 £82.50 £78.75
G 151-165 £190 £190 £199.50 £104.50 £99.75

At lest this new tax system is easy to understand...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've just looked looked at Parkers car tax guide- the same models are £140 or £190 depending on registration date- I couldn't understand it at all. 

It amazes me how folk can purchase a £40k car then moan when the road tax increases slightly! 😧

Haven't seen much moaning- just people commenting on it. 

I comment on the price of petrol too. 

54 minutes ago, Kylinski said:

It amazes me how folk can purchase a £40k car then moan when the road tax increases slightly! 😧

The issue for me is the complete lack of thought that's gone into it. 

I could get an Audi A4, no premium car tax, add the traffic sign recognition option for £250 the.... bang, car suddenly becomes a premium car and now it cost an extra £310 per year to tax. Really a child could of thought this through better.

In the days of HP finance then 40K would be a really big deal. In the days of PCP it's not so much.

My budget on HP runs into about £22K, with the right car however, 40K is more in budget.

5 hours ago, NeilRS said:

I've just looked looked at Parkers car tax guide- the same models are £140 or £190 depending on registration date- I couldn't understand it at all. 

DVLA run the VED, not Parkers! That's why I copied the DVLA table.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I think it's a hiked road fund licence for the first 5 years. Then the additional £300 is dropped. Well, that's what they say at the moment anyway! (as I understand it)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club