Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyre Pressure Warning - Alloys changed

lew_man

Hi all, hope i can get some advice. Just changed my alloys from 16" to 17" the weekend with new tyres fitted, and on way back home, i had the "tyre pressure warning" come on. I assumed, obv it needs resetting to which i did and it went off. Drove around for awhile, and noticed this morning when going along, it's come back on again? reset it when parked and yes gone off again? is this somthing that will continue to happen? or has the garage not done the correct pressure you think? tires are 205/40

A 2015 model would have had the TPMS valve sensors fitted. If they didn't transfer them or have damaged them, the computer is basically telling you it's getting no signal from the sensors it's expecting.

If they fitted new ones they need reprogramming.

I just hope they haven't binned them as they're not cheap.

If it was a Ford dealer then take it back and get them to sort it.

• Like 1

Also just to add, if it is a Ford dealer make sure they re-programmed the car to know it's on different size wheels, so the speedo is accurate.

hi, it seems my old valves are on my old alloys still and wasn't swapped over. was not done at a ford dealer. aftermarket alloys

You have 2 choices, get the valve sensors swapped over or have the TPMS system turned off.

I don't know how easy the latter is, or what is required, I only know it is possible with the right equipment. Obviously you'd then loose the warning if you lost pressure in a tyre.

EDIT: Seems you need to get them fitted, legal requirement now as per Ian's post below.

Take them back to the tyre fitters and get them fitted. The problem they have is that the rubber valves won't come out of old wheels without damaging them . So new special rubber valves are required, then sensors can be screwed on to them.

• Like 1

Having a functioning tpms is a legal requirement now. And I'm sure come 3yrs old the mot checks the tpms

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, iantt said:

Take them back to the tyre fitters and get them fitted. The problem they have is that the rubber valves won't come out of old wheels without damaging them . So new special rubber valves are required, then sensors can be screwed on to them.

Have they changed the design again? I've got all metal valves, so assumed the valve and sensor is all one thing.

Certain vehicles had metal ones but the vast majority are rubber valves.

Got a spare one incase I damage a sensor while tyre fitting. Lol
As you can see the sensor is held to valve with a little screw.

1496654584525.jpg

Have contacted them right away to get this sorted

• Like 2

The prefacelift mk7 fiesta Titanium dont have tpms on them do they?
Also on my focus mk2.5 Titanium their is no tpms in tyre as i swapped stock 16s to ST 18s & no issue upto date 4 yrs on.
Yunii

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

They became mandatory on new cars end of 2014 iirc.

• Like 2

Hi, just thinking. the valves from my old wheels, do you think they will still be able to be used on the new one's with the sensor's screwed on? or will i need to buy separate new valves? 

Sorry seen above post so I need buy the 4x new rubber valves 

yep, got the part number at work if you need it. but ford dealers should know it. probably get them off eBay also,

• Like 1

just checked, yes eBay you can get them from. £7 each.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, iantt said:

just checked, yes ebay you can get them from. £7 each.

yea got some, will take them saturday with me

tell them to be carefull when refitting the tyres. can easily damage sensors fitting tyres on rim.

If the fitter is worth anything then he shouldn't need telling.
I've heard horror stories of qwikfit breaking loads of them.
I take mine to a decent place and never have a problem.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hi it seems the TPMS won't sit in my new alloys on car as they are older shape so every time I hit a bump or summit more than likely smash them. Not sure how go about this? Keep my older alloys and put them on when due mot? Or way turn it off?

How do I know if my car has tyre pressure monitors? It's a 63 reg so am assuming it doesn't..?

20 minutes ago, martin2345uk said:

How do I know if my car has tyre pressure monitors? It's a 63 reg so am assuming it doesn't..?

If you go through the infotainment and go through system settings, if there is an option it will tell you, if not then you don't have it. 

You can google TPMS Fiesta to find which menu to go to. 

maxresdefault.jpgLook for something like deflation detect etc.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club