61 replies to this topic

#1 mcouchard

mcouchard

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Ford Model: 2005 Focus 1.6 Zetec

Posted 02 January 2010 - 06:43 PM

Hi my wife drives a 54 plate 1.6 zetec that has covered 89K. Since we bought it our fuel bills have been a third larger than before around 300 - 350 pcm.
I calculated over the last three fill ups that it is only achieving an average of 28mpg. She drives a lot of short journeys mainly city but does have a few stretches of 40mph A roads in her week.

But the official urban cycle figure for the car is 30.1 mpg. I have given my wife some green driving advice and she has stopped using the aircon but there has been littel improvement what do you think could be causing such poor economy.

Thanks, Matthew

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 5,268 posts
  • Name: Stef
  • Ford Model: Mondeo ST TDCI
  • Year: 2006
Contributor

Posted 02 January 2010 - 06:47 PM

at this time of year your mpg does tend to drop slightly so that could explain why your getting a poor return right now.
is the car serviced regularly etc?

#3 mcouchard

mcouchard

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 07:01 PM

at this time of year your mpg does tend to drop slightly so that could explain why your getting a poor return right now.
is the car serviced regularly etc?

Thanks for your reply it was last serviced when we bought it and that was only 6K miles ago in march. But I might check the air filter but would this affect it that much?

#4 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 5,268 posts
Contributor

Posted 02 January 2010 - 07:09 PM

Thanks for your reply it was last serviced when we bought it and that was only 6K miles ago in march. But I might check the air filter but would this affect it that much?

a dirty air filter could seriously affect your mpg, worthwhile checking it

#5 mcouchard

mcouchard

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 07:22 PM

a dirty air filter could seriously affect your mpg, worthwhile checking it

Thanks will do I paid extra for a full sevice but found a few months later that they hadn't changed the pollen filter so I wouldn't put it past them to not have bothered with the air filter also.

#6 mickyfree

mickyfree

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec

Posted 02 January 2010 - 07:23 PM

I was told the same. And was also told the oil/engine filter affects mpg too

#7 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 5,268 posts
Contributor

Posted 02 January 2010 - 07:28 PM

regular oil and filter changes will help to maintain a good mpg. do you know what kind of spark plugs is in the car? original motorcraft ones are by far the best plugs for the focus.

#8 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,337 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct

Posted 02 January 2010 - 09:03 PM

one thing to remember the mpg stated is not the real world mpg that figure you have is with the car on a test track doing certain speeds over certain distances it doesnt cover short journeys right now its very cold you are using more lights wipers heater etc this affects the mpg ignore what ford says youre mpg is my 1.8 zetec is meant to be 37mpg combined ive had 45 mpg out of it at this time of year i doubt you have much to worry about.

by the way do you fill up at asda or tesco the reason i ask is i did a comparison usimg there fuel to normal shell fuel i get 3mpg more from shells fuel my old passat was the same i got more mpg from shell asda etc put a lot of cleaning soloution etc in there fuel so you dont actually get as much as you think

#9 InstructorPiggy

InstructorPiggy

Too much time on the boards

• PipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Mk7 TDCI ZS

Posted 02 January 2010 - 10:48 PM

ensure not waiting in the mornings for the car to defrost itself in the cold....takes loads of fuel coz the engine can't get up to temp...

cover car/or scrape it off yourself and get that car moving!!

yea, no need for AC at the mo, keep it off!!

#10 mickyfree

mickyfree

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec

Posted 03 January 2010 - 04:16 PM

one thing to remember the mpg stated is not the real world mpg that figure you have is with the car on a test track doing certain speeds over certain distances it doesnt cover short journeys right now its very cold you are using more lights wipers heater etc this affects the mpg ignore what ford says youre mpg is my 1.8 zetec is meant to be 37mpg combined ive had 45 mpg out of it at this time of year i doubt you have much to worry about.

by the way do you fill up at asda or tesco the reason i ask is i did a comparison usimg there fuel to normal shell fuel i get 3mpg more from shells fuel my old passat was the same i got more mpg from shell asda etc put a lot of cleaning soloution etc in there fuel so you dont actually get as much as you think

just outta curiosity which petrol company do you feel is the better one?

#11 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,337 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct

Posted 03 January 2010 - 06:34 PM

just outta curiosity which petrol company do you feel is the better one?

i always use shell i get better mpg and never had injector problems etc.

my mate has a recovery company and he says the amount of cars that just arent happy running on asda fuel is ridiculous .

i looked in to it and what i found out was the fuel is basically all the same but the supermarkets fuel has more additives put into it like cleaning soloutions and isnt quite as refined either so if for example you get 5 litres of fuel you actually dont because a larger portion of that is additiives and soloutions compared to other fuels iver had diesels and they were a lot quieter smoother and dare i say it quicker with shell diesel i used asdas for a while cos it was cheap but the car didnt like it at all my old passat hated asda fuel it was a totally different car i took it to vw they told me to change my fuel and it worked so for me shell fuel

#12 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 5,268 posts
Contributor

Posted 03 January 2010 - 07:14 PM

i always use shell i get better mpg and never had injector problems etc.

my mate has a recovery company and he says the amount of cars that just arent happy running on asda fuel is ridiculous .

i looked in to it and what i found out was the fuel is basically all the same but the supermarkets fuel has more additives put into it like cleaning soloutions and isnt quite as refined either so if for example you get 5 litres of fuel you actually dont because a larger portion of that is additiives and soloutions compared to other fuels iver had diesels and they were a lot quieter smoother and dare i say it quicker with shell diesel i used asdas for a while cos it was cheap but the car didnt like it at all my old passat hated asda fuel it was a totally different car i took it to vw they told me to change my fuel and it worked so for me shell fuel

btw, asdas petrol i believe comes from Poland? and since your a fifer too(as much as you said you always go to shell) stay away from sainsburys from now on. they are taking the same approach as asda and importing it from poland or where ever it is. sainsburys isnt far from my house but occasionally i have used it if i dont have time to go to shell but i wont be from now on

#13 mcouchard

mcouchard

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 09:53 AM

regular oil and filter changes will help to maintain a good mpg. do you know what kind of spark plugs is in the car? original motorcraft ones are by far the best plugs for the focus.

Thanks, yes it has a full service history which is mostly Ford except for the last service. I asked them to change the spark plugs at the service when we bought it, whether they did of not is another matter. When the weather gets a bit warmer I will have a look at the make of them.

#14 mcouchard

mcouchard

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 09:59 AM

No I never use supermarket fuel my other car really dislikes it, I tell my wife only to put branded fuel in. She normally uses BP, because it is convienient although I have found that recentely gives me less mpg on my Megane so I have been using Shell in that which, incidentely averages 42 mpg. The offical figure for the urban cycle of the Focus is 30.1 and I'm not even getting that it was 28mpg on the last three fill ups and it looks like it will be a lot less this time it is down to half a tank after only 120 miles so far.

#15 mcouchard

mcouchard

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:04 AM

btw, asdas petrol i believe comes from Poland? and since your a fifer too(as much as you said you always go to shell) stay away from sainsburys from now on. they are taking the same approach as asda and importing it from poland or where ever it is. sainsburys isnt far from my house but occasionally i have used it if i dont have time to go to shell but i wont be from now on

Sainsbury's fuel is the reason I don't use supermarket fuel. I used it twice on my Megane and it knocked out one of the four injectors each time. I find that Shell is the best for the Megane, using the ulimate unleaded I have achieved 56mpg out of my Megane on a 120 mile run. I don't think the Focus could ever achieve that even if I pushed it down a hill :lol: .

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users