Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car wouldn't start - Recommended Battery and Breakdown Service?

ThePowster

Morning peeps.

Well.... Came to my trusty Focus this morning, turned the key, "wer der der ...der"... and silence :unsure:

My car has always started first turn of the key and recently had a 220 mile round trip, nah I thought, so I tried again, 1 crank and nothing.

I got the multimeter on the battery and it was showing +12v, so I got my bro to jump start me and she fired up as usual.

I let her get 2 minutes of charge, stopped me car and she fired up again as usual on her own with no leads attached.

So what could the problem be? :shock:

I don't understand it as it has not given me any indication that the battery is on it's way out, after I tried to start it I noticed the rev counter needle wobbling a bit after the attempted start in the bottom position which I thought was odd.

It's showing 15+v when engine running so it can't be alternator, so maybe the cold cranking amps of the battery or shot? I dunno what to do now.

I guess I need a new battery and breakdown cover.

Who do you guys recommend for breakdown and what kinda battery would you recommend if you feel this is a battery issue.

Well there goes my Costa coffee morning and air filter fund :msn-cry:

• Like 1

The 2 minutes of running would have warmed the engine through enough to help a weak battery start it again. Whats your engine?

Yeah when it was running after the jump all seemed well, Turned engine off, back on again and no problem.

Left it half hour just been back out to it and it wont start again:

I had an issue once when I had a Yamaha R1 in that it had 12v of the battery but still wouldn't start, I was told the battery had lost its cold cranking amps, could that be same issue I am having here? I have already identified the alternator is working, strange for it to just give up the ghost like that, it was running sweet and always fired first turn of key and after a jump it was fine.

Oops it's a 1.6 TDCi I think its one of those Duratech thingies :laugh:

Your battery naff go to a good motor factors and they will give you the right one for your car:smile:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dezwez said:

Your battery naff go to a good motor factors and they will give you the right one for your car:smile:

Yeeha! That's what I wanted to hear :yahoo:

I don't do anything by halves me, gonna get the best battery I can find so this doesn't happen again.

Years ago when I had my kick ***** Vauxhall Astra GTE 2.0i 16v :cool: I went to a place called Fittapart and I bought a battery for 60 quid called a Hoppeck or something and it had a lifetime warranty, bloke said if ever battery goes just call in and we will replace it for a new one free of charge, gonna see if I can get that kinda deal again.

• Like 1

You will need a calcium battery for your car give them the reg number and they will give you the right type :smile:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dezwez said:

You will need a calcium battery for your car give them the reg number and they will give you the right type :smile:

Thanks a lot Dez appreciate that mate :thumbsup:

I've always get my car batteries from Tayna:

https://www.tayna.co.uk/Ford-Focus-Car-Battery

You need to check whether it is a type 75 or 100, as two are listed for the 1.6 TDCi (difference is in length, 242 mm v 278 mm).

I normally go for the Varta brand. Silver is 5 years warranty, Blue is 4. Depends how long you intend keeping the car.

whilst it is unlikely, it could be alternator. If a diode in the rectifier pack built into the alternator gets dodgy the alternator may still charge fine, but it will allow the power stored in the battery to discharge slowly through the alternator when the car is parked. This can happen and I have had one that did it.

Think of the diodes like a valve. It should let power pass out of the alternator towards the battery but not allow any power to go back the other way when parked. They can get a slight leak so the power seeps back the wrong way slowly. In my experience it is rare but it can happen.

• Like 2

Re the Breakdown Insurance, I use AutoAid, £43.31 a year. You pay for the repairs and claim them back.

All-inclusive cover and value you’ll appreciate.
With its exceptional Comprehensive Cover, AutoAid gives you flexibility and peace of mind. You’ll be covered in any eligible vehicle you're driving. If you experience a breakdown, call us and we’ll arrange for the assistance. It covers you and your legal spouse or civil partner with total breakdown cover, which includes, roadside assistance, a vehicle recovery service to one place of your choice, home breakdowns, emergency travel or overnight hotel accommodation and an attached caravan or small trailer.

AutoAid only covers you driving in the UK (mainland England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland). If you were travelling to Europe we offer a separate cover called EuroRescue which covers you for the time that you are abroad.

https://www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/

AutoAid only covers you driving in the UK (mainland England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland). If you were travelling to Europe we offer a separate cover called EuroRescue which covers you for the time that you are abroad.

£39 via Groupon:

https://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/autoaid?keyw=autoaid discount&crea=155595281279&netw=g&adpos=1t1&utm_campaign=UK_DT_SEA_GGL_TXT_TTT_SR_CBP_CH1_NBR_k*autoaid discount_m*e_c*155595281279_d*UK-RTC-Discount-National_g*RTC-Discount-autoaid-EXACT_s*1407_t*kwd-42614852416&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&loc_physical_ms=1006779&loc_interest_ms=&template=&gclid=CMTe1Z-srtQCFYcW0wodyYsL9w

• Like 1

Charging the battery at 15v? That seems a tad high. You can disconnect the charging plug from the alternator which will put it into dumb mode (14.1-14.4v) to check that side of it.

Batteries can lose capacity but retain voltage, but as soon as you apply a load that voltage will drop dramatically. You can test this by holding the Menu button whilst you turn the ignition to position 2, press the menu button repeatedly until you get to the "Battery" screen, and then try starting the engine.

My Bosch S4 battery cost me £48 from ECP.

• Like 1

Cheers for the input fellas, much appreciated!

In the end I went for that Yuasa YBX5100 and I got it at a good price, I was just off to Halfrauds to get it for £115 when I rang my local Sutton Autofactors and they did it me for £78.48 and that was including the £6 discount for giving them my old battery.

I'll be shocked if that's all it was that went because yesterday the car was fine, I would have thought if a battery was going you would know i.e. it would take longer to crank etc, not perfect one day and dead the next?

IMAG0370.jpg

IMAG0372.jpg

One thing concerned me and that's on he back of the battery it says Recharge December 2017, so is this old stock? The light indicator on the top of the battery is green so fingers crossed I bang it on and its problem solved, something tells me its not going to be that easy lol.

Hey guys.

OK so battery is in, had a nightmare job of it today, all engine to bits EGR valve off and everything back on, figured now was a good time as any with battery out and airbox off, my lower back is shot.

So car is back together battery installed all but the positive terminal, basically I'm scared to connect it :blush:

What if it is a dodgy alternator thing and I ruin this brand new battery, did I just buy a brand new battery for no reason lol, I am not sure you should totally deplete these calcium ones either.

So how would you guys go about this? Will the menu thing tell me whats going wrong.

Knowing my luck it will start, I will go for a drive, park up, come back to car and dead battery.

Any help on what the next step should be would most welcome.

• Like 1

You have to eliminate, and 15V at the battery is high, and is more likely to be indicating an internal battery fault (a cell can be shorted with the lead sulphate build up below the plates on an old battery.  The battery is cheaper than the alternator to swap!  If the battery voltage doesn't drop back to high 13's low 14's after a couple of minutes, you're not going to bugger the battery in that short time... 

• Like 2

That's great, appreciate the input everyone.

So like you say its a process of elimination, tomorrow I will connect it and fire her up and let you guys know what the volts are reading and try that menu trick and get as much intel as I can at and take it from there.

:tank:

• Like 1

Hey guys.

Just wanted to give the verdict on the new battery since the car, out of the blue, failed to crank over even once yesterday morning.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New battery Details

Voltage check unconnected                        12.66v

Connected up to car                                     12.47v

Engine running                                              14.51v (steady)

Resting voltage after a start                        12.90v

30 min drive up to temp some WOT.

Resting voltage 2hr after a drive                 12.66v

Engine running (still slightly warm)             14.40v

So it appears a new battery solved it :yahoo:

Who would have thought that one day you can come to your car, (which has always started first turn of the key) and find it dead with no prior warning :surprise:

Clearly it's not losing any charge and it wouldn't fire up after 30 minutes yesterday so it's looking like the battery went kaput.

The battery looked like the original one and was stamped 07/09 so it lasted well.

Can't thank you guys enough for all your help and advice :notworthy:

• Like 2

:w00t: great to hear it was only just the battery, lets hope the new one will last aslong as the original did :smile:

glad it worked out ok :smile:

On ‎09‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 1:55 PM, ThePowster said:

Hey guys.

Just wanted to give the verdict on the new battery since the car, out of the blue, failed to crank over even once yesterday morning.

New Battery Details

Voltage check unconnected                        12.66v

Connected up to car                                     12.47v

Engine running                                              14.51v (steady)

Resting voltage after a start                        12.90v

30 min drive up to temp some WOT.

Resting voltage 2hr after a drive                 12.66v

Engine running (still slightly warm)             14.40v

So it appears a new battery solved it :yahoo:

Who would have thought that one day you can come to your car, (which has always started first turn of the key) and find it dead with no prior warning :surprise:

Clearly it's not losing any charge and it wouldn't fire up after 30 minutes yesterday so it's looking like the battery went kaput.

The battery looked like the original one and was stamped 07/09 so it lasted well.

Can't thank you guys enough for all your help and advice :notworthy:

Not unusual these days I'm afraid, but right outcome. 

On ‎08‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 2:36 PM, YOG said:

Re the Breakdown Insurance, I use AutoAid, £43.31 a year. You pay for the repairs and claim them back.

All-inclusive cover and value you’ll appreciate.
With its exceptional Comprehensive Cover, AutoAid gives you flexibility and peace of mind. You’ll be covered in any eligible vehicle you're driving. If you experience a breakdown, call us and we’ll arrange for the assistance. It covers you and your legal spouse or civil partner with total breakdown cover, which includes, roadside assistance, a vehicle recovery service to one place of your choice, home breakdowns, emergency travel or overnight hotel accommodation and an attached caravan or small trailer.

https://www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/

£39 via Groupon:

https://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/autoaid?keyw=autoaid discount&crea=155595281279&netw=g&adpos=1t1&utm_campaign=UK_DT_SEA_GGL_TXT_TTT_SR_CBP_CH1_NBR_k*autoaid discount_m*e_c*155595281279_d*UK-RTC-Discount-National_g*RTC-Discount-autoaid-EXACT_s*1407_t*kwd-42614852416&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&loc_physical_ms=1006779&loc_interest_ms=&template=&gclid=CMTe1Z-srtQCFYcW0wodyYsL9w

AuotoAid have now waived the paying for repairs and claim money back.

Renewed mine last week.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club