Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cig light/12v - How to get it to turn off with ignition?

Albert27

Hi folks,

When i'm running a usb phone charger from the cigarette lighter it stays on after the ignition is turned off.  I've nearly been caught out a couple of times and am going to run out of luck before too long and come back to a flat battery.

Is there a way to get it to switch on and off with the ignition?  Car is 2008 mk 2.5.

Thanks in advance.

Can anyone help with this?

I have attached a relay to the bottom of the socket next to the handbrake, and run a wire to an ignition switched fuse-tap. Unfortunately the advice about finding other fuse locations does not seem to be accurate for the Mk 2.5 at least.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2017 at 4:17 PM, Albert27 said:

Hi folks,

When i'm running a usb phone charger from the cigarette lighter it stays on after the ignition is turned off.  I've nearly been caught out a couple of times and am going to run out of luck before too long and come back to a flat battery.

Is there a way to get it to switch on and off with the ignition?  Car is 2008 mk 2.5.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not 100% sure on what I'm about to tell you; because I haven't bothered to check it out for myself but I did hear on here a few times about there being two locations in the passenger footwell fuse board which operate the 12v sockets.

You should only have the fuse in either of the two, you shouldn't have a fuse in both of them.

The purpose is supposed to be: 

If the fuse is in fuse location A for example; then the 12v sockets only become live when the key is in the ignition.

And 

If the fuse is in fuse location B for example; then the 12v sockets stay live all of the time and until 1 hour after the car has been locked untouched. 

The boot socket (if fitted) stays live all of the time regardless. 

If you would like to fit a usb socket in the glovebox which becomes live along with the ignition see part of this guide: Guide Fitting Dual Camera DVR System Focus Mk2 & Mk2.5Click Here 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lenny said:

I'm not 100% sure on what I'm about to tell you; because I haven't bothered to check it out for myself but I did hear on here a few times about there being two locations in the passenger footwell fuse board which operate the 12v sockets.

You should only have the fuse in either of the two, you shouldn't have a fuse in both of them.

The purpose is supposed to be: 

If the fuse is in fuse location A for example; then the 12v sockets only become live when the key is in the ignition.

And 

If the fuse is in fuse location B for example; then the 12v sockets stay live all of the time and until 1 hour after the car has been locked untouched. 

The boot socket (if fitted) stays live all of the time regardless. 

If you would like to fit a usb socket in the glovebox which becomes live along with the ignition see part of this guide: Guide Fitting Dual Camera DVR System Focus Mk2 & Mk2.5Click Here 

Thanks Lenny, that's really helpful :thumbup1:

• Like 1

On Friday June 09, 2017 at 4:17 PM, Albert27 said:

Hi folks,

When i'm running a usb phone charger from the cigarette lighter it stays on after the ignition is turned off.  c've nearly been caught out a couple of times and am going to run out of luck before too long and come back to a flat battery.

Thanks in advance.

Is your vehicle battery really that bad? The cig lighter on stays on for ~20 mins after the ignition goes off.

On 17/06/2017 at 7:46 AM, BOF said:

Is your vehicle battery really that bad? The cig lighter on stays on for ~20 mins after the ignition goes off.

No battery is only 18 months old.  How long could you leave a charger in the 12v with engine off before you'd drain a good battery?  I always thought it wouldn't take long hence why i wanted to get it to switch off with ignition.......

On 17/06/2017 at 7:46 AM, BOF said:

I thought this to be the case, but both the 12v sockets ( centre console / armrest ) in my '09 ZS stay live all the time. I've left things plugged in overnight though and had no battery issues. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I’ve wired a simple switch to mine which glows red when it’s on. This is simply because I like to run the cigarette lighter when the ignition is off like if I leave something to charge when the car is left and was relatively easy 

I too was stitched up with this ridiculous situation of having an accessory socket that was permanently live. I solved it by when getting some other work done to my car, getting a spark to install a separate socket that was connected to the ignition!

1855230332_new12vsocket.thumb.jpg.2654d62add8205c14ffd36712c93eada.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

It can be changed withFORScan and a USB/OBD adapter.

See photo below, where MY=the cars year (note, it changes around 2013).

IMG_0218.png

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, unofix said:

That's interesting. I see the data above is for the North American Fusion (Mondeo). Have you tried this on your Focus to see if the codes are the same ?

I know that 'DanMac85' is a bit of a software hacker and has published a number of mods, but they are usually vehicle specific and don't work across the whole of the Ford platform.

Well I have checked mine (2016 ford focus 3.5 DSG), and can put it straight. 

My 12v power outlets come on when the drivers’ door is opened, and switch off after about 30minutes. I checked FORScan and it was exactly as programmed.

Incidentally, I have a SYNC 2 touch and have successfully activated a reversing camera.

As far as I know the “modules” are the same, just programmed differently for different countries. 

I have tried a few enhancements from the spreadsheet and they all seem to work even FORScan reads the information and lets you select what you want. 

Mine did not lock when the door wasn’t opened - it does now etc.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club