Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK3 Focus - What not to do with FoCCCus...

Phil21185

On 13/06/2017 at 8:52 AM, Stoney871 said:

And the moral of the story is-
ALWAYS save your original configuration files prior to altering anything.

On 02/07/2017 at 6:48 PM, Aradreth said:

Lesson: Always take a backup and start Foccus with the engine turned off!

On 02/07/2017 at 9:33 PM, andypsp said:

lesson should be don`t connect elm/laptop to your car while its got the engine running :w00t:

Think I covered this pretty well with my first post!:wink3:

Glad you didn't ruin your car. 

I love how 'bricking' is a term that has moved so smoothly to cars now simply due to the amount of computing involved in cars these days!

Anyone jailbroken or rooted their focus yet?! Would be nice to run a custom firmware! :laugh:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Phil21185 said:

Anyone jailbroken or rooted their focus yet?! Would be nice to run a custom firmware! :laugh:

isn't that what custom remaps are  ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dans34 said:

isn't that what custom remaps are  ?

Lol yeah I suppose so, but I meant in the MFD :biggrin:

I more meant it in terms of what people used to do to phones by buggering around with them they now can do to cars (ie bricking) but nevermind :laugh:

• Like 2

I know what you mean, I am posting from a custom rom called viper. And you are not alone I would not mind a custom car rom in that sense.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Have you got the anti-Hijacking enabled and working now? I desperately want this feature on! If so can you tell me a step by step guide and what to buy, thanks 😃 

On 12/06/2017 at 8:55 PM, Phil21185 said:

Me: Got my modded ELM! Yay!

Me 5 mins later:  Killed my car. Boo.

Me 2 mins and a lot of swearing later: Thank holy turdballs I took a save of the ECU configs!

Explanation:  Got my ELM as I always like to bugger around with things and see what's what.  Fine.

Really all I wanted to do was to enable auto door locking when you drive off (I live in Gainsborough.  They'll have your wheels off if you're going less than 20mph... :tongue:) .  Found the setting, changed it to enabled and all seemed good!  Unplugged the reader and took 'er for a spin round the block.  At 3mph my doors locked and i do this face --->:biggrin:  Shortly afterwards on the same trip I notice my cruise control/limiter controls don't respond.  I do this face --->:huh: cos I'm thinking I probably caught another setting without realising.  So I pull up at my house and plug the reader back in but stupidly forget to switch the engine off.  

As FoCCCus grabs my cars settings, the engine cuts out and when FoCCCus loads, a crapload of DTC faults appear on EVERY system (BCM, IPC, etc.  But most importantly PCM).  I do this face --->:blink: and clear them all with the software - they're all loss of signal faults so I assume its cos the engine cut out on its own but the PCM faults persist.  I look down the list and see 'Crash'.  I do this face --->:ohmy: as I realise the car thinks its been involved in a crash as the engine was killed and will not allow it to be started again.  Lo and behold it wont start again and I can't clear the fault.  I'm now doing this face hoping the wife doesn't hear the car 3 ft from the lounge window not starting --->:ph34r:.

Thankfully I also had ForScan which did clear the Crash fault and after restoring the settings from a backup I made at first read the car started fine again.  I also re-applied the auto-lock setting and was careful not to touch any others.  The Cruise still didn't work immediately, but after cycling the ignition completely the controls responded.

Happy ending, but it was Brown Pants time for a few minutes...

So the moral of the story: ALWAYS take a backup of your car's settings before you tinker and NEVER use an OBD reader while the engine is running!

Just don't be thick like me =]

Been there, done that, bought the tee shirt, read the book, seen the film, had a divorce, all because I wanted cruise control 😂

• Haha 1

I had the same issue myself with a loose usb port on an old laptop lol

its very scary 

Jamie

Does anyone use a battery Support Unit with Forscan or FoCCCus?  

I've seen on forums for other cars that it seems to be almost mandatory when doing any re-configuring or coding, to stop the volts dropping too low and scrambling the modules.  Is this something that should be used with Fords or do they not have this problem?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

HELP! I purchased a modified ELM 327 from eBay and installed all drivers, I have installed the latest foCCCus software (8.6), I can launch the software and it recognises the device etc, yet when I go to read the BCM on either side of he switch this message appears (Can't connect to ECU. Switch ELM to HS-CAN) I have attached a pic of my elm and the popup below dose anyone know what the problem could be???

IMG_0610.JPG

IMG_0611.thumb.JPG.cb484928c1a45a354f3ccd3b361389b7.jpg

So it won't read with that silver switch near your finger in either position?

I'd try FORScan, if it doesn't recognise the HS CAN through that either there is likely to be a problem with the cable.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/04/2018 at 11:41 AM, alexp999 said:

So it won't read with that silver switch near your finger in either position?

no, it won't! and it is not recognising in forscan either. I am wondering where is the best place to purchase a unit that is guaranteed to get the job done. and by chance are there any users on here you know of in ireland that could activate it?

On 16/04/2018 at 11:58 AM, TomsFocus said:

I'd try FORScan, if it doesn't recognise the HS CAN through that either there is likely to be a problem with the cable.  

ye, i cant get it to work with forscan either! you don't happen to know anyone on here from Ireland who could activate it?

8 minutes ago, jimfireland said:

ye, i cant get it to work with forscan either! you don't happen to know anyone on here from Ireland who could activate it?

Send the cable back and get another tbh.  I don't know anyone in Ireland I'm afraid, feel free to post a thread in the regional section about that though.

I got my cable from eBay, but it looks like I was lucky as there are a lot of crap ones and fakes there.  A lot of folk on here recommend TunnelRat as a vendor, but I speak from absolutely no personal experience.

General indication, if you're paying less than about £15-20 for your modded elm, its probably a fake.

• Like 1

Tunnelrats is where I bought mine from, worked perfectly when I trying to activate cruise control, the only problem was the person trying to use it, totally bricked my car for 3 days. Needless to say I've never used it since, it's been stashed away in some cupboard somewhere, God knows where.

• 1 month later...

Phil21185 i need some help with an activation problem  im very local to you any chance you could help

Without telepathy or a bit more explanation, probably not!

I'll do my best to help, but I'm by no means an expert 

What is it you're trying to do?

• Haha 1

• 10 months later...

help please, fitted cruise controll to 2014 focus, programmed with focccus and an error occurd while writing to car, now car is totaly dead only radio works, please someone help me

Yes I did save a copy when first connected but got nothing now on car

• 2 months later...

2016 ve sonraki arabalarımda Focccus kullanamıyorum. Özellikleri etkinleştirmek için ne yapmamızı yapın?

• Confused 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club