Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Mk2 New Key

SenorC77

Evening all

I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

I've just picked up my new to me Focus however it didn't come with an original key so cannot use the central locking.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of how I go about getting a replacement key that I can get to work with the central locking please?

I been told told you can get blank keys on eBay and then have them coded?

TIA :)

You should be able to code remote fobs yourself by putting the car into learning mode.

Not sure if you need a fob that already works though but I'm sure someone be along with a nice link to the method (I am on phone atm and it's a PITA to swap chrome tabs =))

It's something along the lines of turning the ignition to position 2 and off 4 times quite quickly. Then the car will beep and you just press a button on your new remote. 

Of course unless you have at least 2 different keys which disable the immobiliser, you'll have to get an auto locksmith to code the PATS chip in your new key to your car. 

The flip key is a nice upgrade too - I modified one to take a glass PATS chip and a tibbs key for my mk 1.5 =))

Be very wary of keys on eBay, talking from past experience.   Better to employ a reputable car locksmith to get a proper job. 

The car only came with one key so was planning on keeping the one that came with it as the spare and then having the new flip key for everyday.  I've had a chance to figure out the immobiliser yet, do I need two keys for that then?

I'm guessing going to Ford will be eye wateringly expensive.

A very reputable auto locksmith charged me £60 to supply a genuine flip key and to programme it to  the car. well pleased.

No need to go to a Ford dealer.  

• Like 1

That's a damn good price for a flip key and coded. My lockie wanted 100 for the key and 40 to code it. Said he'd cut the tibbs for free though...

I did buy mine from eBay in the end but you have to keep your wits about you for fakes. Best to get a lockie to supply if the price is right.

For my mk1 if you had 2 coded keys, you could code others yourself. Not sure if it works with mk2 as it's a different pats chip but sounds like you'll need a lockie anyway to code your second.

• Like 1

Mk1 Focus - only needed two original keys to activate key immobiliser coding which allowed you to code up to 8 extra keys (for fleet use etc).

Only one programmed key to activate central locking programming.

Mk2 onwards - no ability to activate immobiliser coding without using something like IDS / Forscan etc (with suitable interface cable).

Still able to access unlimited central locking programming.

Forscan with the optional free 30 day extended licence can program keys from Mk1 up to current Mk3.5.

Most eBay key blades are a different metal to standard Ford ones and many key cutting places will refuse to do them as they have concerns that the metal may damage their expensive cutting blades.

I had an aftermarket flip key done for my old Mk2 and was turned away by Timpsons and two independent key cutters.

In the end I was put onto a good local Auto Locksmith that had done some keys for us at work (and often did the local Ford dealership keys for them), he was concerned about the metal as well but gave it a go anyway, he did say that the metal surface was harder than normal Ford keys but once through the surface the blade was a decent brass that cut just fine, the key was still going strong 3 years later when I PX'd it for My ST.

Most dealerships sell you the keys but then call in Locksmiths to do the cutting and coding for them then they charge you their costs, the Locksmith costs and usually an hours labour even though the job takes 5 - 10 minutes tops, they usually tag on another hour for 'obligatory' diagnostics as well (basically hooking the car up and bogging off for a tea break).

Use a decent auto locksmith and cut out the middle man and extra wasted time and money.

I recently helped a colleague who couldn't get his fob to work his central locking on a Mk2, i tested the fob and it had no signal, immobiliser chip was fine.

I obtained a cheap aftermarket key off eBay, swapped the central locking circuit boards over and the key works perfectly now.

• Like 1

So its looking like a decent car locksmith is the way to go, I can do without the grief of trying to DIY and it going horribly wrong on me :unsure:

Next question then is does anyone know of a decent car locksmith in deepest darkest kentishshire?

Thinking about it my local garage maybe able to point me in the right direction.

So will the immobiliser work with just one key?

Thanks for clearing that up Stoney, I couldn't remember the caveats exactly between the learning modes across gens. 

The immobiliser will be armed when you lock the car and disarmed when a key with a correctly coded pats chip is put into the ignition (or at least when a chip is near the ignition) so yes with one key your immobiliser will arm and disarm just fine. 

There'll be a slow flashing red light somewhere on your dash when the immobiliser is armed, should go solid red I think when the ignition is on to signify disarmed or a fast flash if there is a problem.

Just had a quick thought, can you not at least central lock the car from the drivers door in the actual lock? You turn it one way then the other and it should central (and double) lock the car, then the reverse to unlock?

Tide you over until you get your flip key =)

To double lock with a key blade you turn it as normal to lock the door, release the key so it springs back a bit then turn it in the same direction again.
Reverse to unlock (first turn usually will unlock the drivers door and second turn will unlock all doors).

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 6/15/2017 at 12:22 AM, Devonboy said:

A very reputable auto locksmith charged me £60 to supply a genuine flip key and to programme it to  the car. well pleased.

No need to go to a Ford dealer.  

He has charged you very fair cost for key program as locksmith near me charged exactly the same cost for that work but as said Ford dealer is obviously the best option for the key.

1 hour ago, TaylorWase said:

He has charged you very fair cost for key program as locksmith near me charged exactly the same cost for that work but as said Ford dealer is obviously the best option for the key.

You do realise that this thread is heading towards 3 years old! LOL 🤣 Still, welcome to the forum...

• Haha 1

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, Tyler Lowe said:

If your car key is broken and you do not have another key. So you should call forest park locksmith who provides you new of your car at reasonable price.

Thank goodness for that! The OP has been waiting over 3 years for a recommendation, and now, he only has to travel to USA to get a key, hope he wears a mask on the plane! 🤣

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club