Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk2 2007 SRS System

*Ste*

Hello,

I'm hoping one of you kind folk could help ease the headache i'm having with my car at present. My wife had an accident in it on her way to work which caused the front airbags to go off - the passenger one went off even though there was nobody sat in the seat and the seatbelt wasn't clipped in - should this have happened?

Also, I have a donor car here that i've swapped all the parts over from but for the life of me, can't figure out where the front crash sensor is supposed to be located on my car. On the donor car, it's right by the bonnet catch with a plug going into it but on my car, this isn't present and there's no wiring for it. 

Any guidance appreciated.

TIA :) 

it is completely normal for both the driver and passenger airbag being activated at the same time. Even if the passenger seat is not occupied the airbag will still be activated. Apart from the seatbelt warning the RCM (Restraints Control Module) only uses the passenger seat occupation sensor for calulation of seatbelt pretensioner and airbag activation timing.  

1 hour ago, iantt said:

how old is the donor car?

55 minutes ago, JW1982 said:

it is completely normal for both the driver and passenger airbag being activated at the same time. Even if the passenger seat is not occupied the airbag will still be activated. Apart from the seatbelt warning the RCM (Restraints Control Module) only uses the passenger seat occupation sensor for calulation of seatbelt pretensioner and airbag activation timing.  

Thanks for clearing that up - I have seen conflicting information on the internet about this. 

ah, from approx may 2005 onwards the crash sensor was not fitted

have you replaced the seatbelt pretensioners as well?

I did replace the seatbelt pretensioners, yes. 

I changed the dashboard including passenger airbag and the steering wheel and both pretensioners - had the light cleared but came back on after re-starting engine - I thought it was down to this missing sensor but if it's not supposed to be there on the 2007 model then it can't be that.

I'm just thinking - is there a clock spring on there? don't think I changed that... is it part of the stalk setup and would that need changing after an accident?

Clock spring shouldn't need changing, has the RCM crash memory been reset or a code reader just cleared codes.

Are all the parts changed have the same part numbers?

I'm not sure - the guy at the garage plugged his hand held obd machine into it and cleared the light there and then in 2 minutes, that's all I know.

To be honest Ian, I didn't check - I just assumed an airbag that was off the same make and model of car that was an identical part would have the same part number. 

Sounds like the crash data needs resettling. That's either ford garage with there diagnostics, or possibly via forscan software and elm327 adapter on a laptop. I'm no expert on forscan but think there should be an option to do this.

If you get forscan (free download ) and buy an elm327 for £15 then at least you will be able to read the codes that's keeping light on.then determine where to investigate.

I have the ODB tool and ForScan but when it connects to the car, it only reads certain modules (about 4) and RCM isn't one of them ... can't figure out why :( 

I know someone who works at Ford but it's a case of when he can do it and i'm eager to get it done asap. 

I have asked on ForScan forum about this problem but not got a reply as of yet... I've also contacted the seller of the unit to see if they can advise. 

Have you got a modified elm unit - with a hs/ms canbus switch?

If so, make sure you click Yes on the popup that asks if one is fitted from Forscan,

No, I don't - is this what I need to access all modules? ... hopefully it is as i've ordered one earlier today. 

Yes, there are two canbus networks on the Focus. You can modify your unit yourself or just return it and use your new one!

The old one was returned yesterday and i'm hopeful my new one should be with me tomorrow.

Is ForScan the best one to use and it is fully functional freeware or do I need to purchase a full version?

It is free - the extended licence is also free but you need an account, and to activate it via their website.

It is a very good application, and quite intuitive.

All sorted - got my new elm unit today with hs / ms can switch and connected it up, read dtc and it was just "crash data stored" so I went into the service menu on ForScan, chose to erase the data and it went through the cycle and all is good again... good bit of kit and it's saved me a few bob :) 

I'm still wondering how it detects there has been a front collision with no front sensor :/ 

The crash sensor is integrated into the RCM.

So, does it detect the g-force or something?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club