Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Dash Cam fitting - black box behind mirror

stickyfingers

Hi Everyone,

Picked up a new Focus Titanium X last week, now looking to get a dash cam fitted.

I wanted to put it behind the rear view mirror but there is a huge black box there which I think contains the sensors for the lights/wipers.  If I put the dash cam below the black box it will be right in the middle of the screen and distracting, and likewise if I mount it to the left or the right of the black box it will be visible and in the way of the sun visors.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Mines located in the position you state, to the left of the box and partly behind the mirror. Its not distracting or in the way of anything. I forget its there tbh.

• Like 1

I have one of these (with the optional gps input so I can view speed / location with suitable software).
It's mounted to the right of my mirror mount so I can access the buttons easily. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282524832983
I did think of mounting it on the sensor cover initially but decided that it's current location was more practical.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I've got mine fixed to the windscreen to the left of the big sensor, you can see it in the video, but I don't find it too distracting. I wanted it discreet, or could have positioned it further to the left.

1 hour ago, alexp999 said:

I've got mine fixed to the windscreen to the left of the big sensor, you can see it in the video, but I don't find it too distracting. I wanted it discreet, or could have positioned it further to the left.

Thanks, this is where I was thinking of mounting it, but was worried about the big sensor blocking some of the view like it does with yours.

Incidentally, is yours hard wired and if so who did it for you?  Was thinking of getting Halfords to do it but heard some horror stories

2 minutes ago, stickyfingers said:

Thanks, this is where I was thinking of mounting it, but was worried about the big sensor blocking some of the view like it does with yours.

Incidentally, is yours hard wired and if so who did it for you?  Was thinking of getting Halfords to do it but heard some horror stories

Mines mounted slightly left and down so i don't get any of the sensor in mine.

I have a NextBase 312GW and just bought the hardwire kit which simply pigybacks off another fuse in the fusebox.

17 minutes ago, stickyfingers said:

There is plenty of space to move it over and keep the sensor out of view. I wanted to contain the camera in the blacked out area of the windscreen so you can't really see it from outside.

I hard wired it myself. Not that difficult really, I just piggybacked off the heated steering and ran the cable under the door seal.

• Like 1

Thanks again for the replies, I'm looking at either the Nextbase 512GW or the Thinkware f770.  The f770 has a camera for the rear as well, considering that!

I really wouldn't have a clue what I'm doing hardwiring it in myself

24 minutes ago, stickyfingers said:

Thanks again for the replies, I'm looking at either the Nextbase 512GW or the Thinkware f770.  The f770 has a camera for the rear as well, considering that!

I really wouldn't have a clue what I'm doing hardwiring it in myself

The NextBase hardwire kit is very straightforward. I suspect the term "hardwire" makes it sound more difficult than it is. Piggyback connector for a fuse in the fuse box, earth to a bolt on the body and run the wires up the A pillar. Be doing mine at the weekend, as its currently just powered by the rear power outlet. 

Which fuse should it be connected to for the parking mode?  I have heated seats and heated steering, either of those or a different one?

I think its just because its new, had it less than a week, and didn't want to risk messing it up and damaging it myself!

Heated steering and seats are switched live, so only on with ignition. Not sure which are permanent live, I hope you plan to get a big memory card. :)

I'd trust myself to be more gentle with fitting stuff than any garage, lol.

Mines getting connected to a switched live. Haven't looked at the fusebox yet so cant comment on that.

And I agree with @alexp999 I rather do things myself as I know its a quality job. Some garages can't be trusted.

Fuse 85 if heated steering wheel IS NOT fitted.
Fuse 86 if heated steering wheel IS fitted.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stickyfingers said:

I had Halfords hard wire mine, mostly because the cost of having it hardwired was the same as the cost of the hardwire kit and cam, soI basically got a free fitting since the kit came free if I paid to have it fitted.

5 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

Fuse 85 if heated steering wheel IS NOT fitted.
Fuse 86 if heated steering wheel IS fitted.

Could do with a list somewhere of possible piggybacks for different things?

I would like a dash cam for mine but I want the smallest most unobtrusive one there could be! 

Wonder if it's possible to fit INSIDE the sensor housing? Obviously dependent on the size of the camera and what sensors the car actually has.

10 hours ago, Phil21185 said:

Could do with a list somewhere of possible piggybacks for different things?

I would like a dash cam for mine but I want the smallest most unobtrusive one there could be! 

Wonder if it's possible to fit INSIDE the sensor housing? Obviously dependent on the size of the camera and what sensors the car actually has.

That's a good idea!  Mine has three "holes" going through to the glass for the sensors, and I'm assuming that one of them is for the lane guidance, which I don't have so it must be empty

10 hours ago, stickyfingers said:

That's a good idea!  Mine has three "holes" going through to the glass for the sensors, and I'm assuming that one of them is for the lane guidance, which I don't have so it must be empty

It'd be nice to keep it enclosed like that but I can think of a couple of potential problems: That a decent camera that small either won't exist or would be quite expensive and the field of view available from within the box might be too restricted.

I'm sure they are both surmountable and if you have success please share!

• Like 1

I made a little USB "hub" which is powered from a switched live i found up in the roof thing where you sunglasses holder lives.  The cam and my sat nav are plugged into it so they come on with the ignition and go off around twenty minutes after the car is locked.

• 3 years later...

Hi I have a similar problem. I recently purchased a mirror dash cam but the camera is on the bottom left and the black box obscures about a quarter of the camera.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0811Q28N6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It's a Wolfbox mirror dash cam. Is there any way around this?

Thanks in advance for any help!

• Sad 1

• 2 years later...
On 6/23/2017 at 7:26 AM, Rockhopper said:

I made a little USB "hub" which is powered from a switched live i found up in the roof thing where you sunglasses holder lives.  The cam and my sat nav are plugged into it so they come on with the ignition and go off around twenty minutes after the car is locked.

I know it has been a while since you posted this, but do you have any more details of what you did?  I like the idea of the camera continuing to record for 20 minutes after switching off the ignition rather than stopping immediately when I cut the engine.