Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 Bulb List and LEDs

Phil21185

Sorry if this has already been done...

I know Danger's excellent sticky for bulbs (found HERE) has a huge list of bulbs types for Mk1 through to 2.5, but doesn't seem to cover Mk3 (at least, not in the first post and there's over 200 more posts to look through to check for each bulb!)

So I thought I'd post up bulb types for the Mk3 (and 3.5 if different) but also a sort of guide for those looking to replace with LEDs (as I hope to do).  As I swap more on my car and hopefully as others post info I'll add it to the first post so there's a quick reference guide up for folk.  I want to add other helpful information too, like whether the led's are simply plug and play or need some modifications, the wattage of the original (so people can judge what LEDs to buy for comparative brightness) and maybe people's recommendations or things to watch for.  Please feel free to correct anything I post if wrong.  I'll start the ball rolling with the list from my handbook though I think it has a few missing and I may need some clarification on which bulbs it actually refers to!  If anyone wants to share a guide I'll happily link to it :biggrin:

Bulb - Fitting - Wattage - Plug & Play / Mod Req'd

Mk3

Front & Rear Indicator - 581 (PY21W) - 21w - Mod == Separate resistors required in parallel to the bulbs to prevent Hyper-Flashing.  Possible heat issue as resistors can get hot.

Headlamp Main Beam - H1 - 55w - ?? == Have seen some conversion kits, but I think LEDs aren't road legal in UK for main and dipped beam?  I think I'll stick with some white halogens.

Headlamp Dipped Beam - H7 - 55w - ?? == Handbook specifically states to replace with the same rating just for these bulbs.

Cornering Lamp - H1 - 55w - ?? == Thought these were the fogs but...

Front Fog Lamp - H11 - 55w - P&P == Not sure if Canbus friendlies are needed

Side Lamp - 501 (W5W) - 5w - P&P == Canbus friendly required.  Some people have had flickering issues with cheaper LEDs

Side Repeater - 501 (WY5W) - 5w - P&P == Canbus friendly required to prevent dash errors, but no hyperflashing as long as front and rear indicators are stock or correctly resisted.  Stephen (MadMole) has a great guide to removing the wing mirror panels HERE which gives access to these and puddle lights if fitted.

Approach Lamp - 501 (W5W) - 5w - P&P == Think this means mirror puddle lamps in Ti and Ti-X. Limited space to fit the bulbs in so I wouldn't get too large a replacement. Stephen (MadMole)'s guide HERE.

Brake and Tail Lamp - 380 (P21/5W) - 21w/5w - ?? == Anyone here done this? Fo Fans has a guide but most of the pictures are missing.

Tail Lamp - 501 (W5W) - 5w - ?? == Assuming this is rear numberplate lights? If so, my Ti seems to have LED's already.  Are these simply Plug & Play from 'cands?

Rear Fog Lamp - 382 (P21W) - 21w - ?? == Anyone swapped these?

Reversing Lamp - 955 (W16W) - 16w - P&P == Is the handbook correct?? They're push fit wedges?! I know a lot of folk have swapped these for Cree LED's with great success.

Luggage Compartment Lamp 501 (W5W) - 5w - P&P == My Ti has one either side, not sure if only one in Zetecs.  There's no reflector in these lights so a COB LED (panel type) or a bulb with lots of SMD's on the sides will throw the light out better.  Remove the lens with a small screwdriver on the short side nearest the back seats.  I found it helpful to drop the back seats to get at them.

That's it for the handbook.

Glovebox Lamp - 501 (W5W) - 5w - P&P == This looks like a sod to get to, probably need to remove the glovebox to do.  No reflector here either so another COB is a good idea.  I'll post a guide when I get around to it =]

Dome Lights - ?? - ?? - ?? == Already LED's in mine so need some info here.  Are there also rear domes in Zetecs?

Also, does anyone know if there are bulbs behind the door reflectors?  I'm sure mine lit up at one point with the ambient lights but they don't seem to now... 

• Like 2

On 2017-6-20 at 9:00 PM, Phil21185 said:

Headlamp Main Beam - H1 - 55w - ?? == Have seen some conversion kits, but I think LEDs aren't road legal in UK for main and dipped beam?  I think I'll stick with some white halogens.

Headlamp Dipped Beam - H7 - 55w - ?? == Handbook specifically states to replace with the same rating just for these bulbs.

My best advice to you is do not even attempt to convert these to LED or Xenon as you will need projectors, headlight washers, and automatic levelling to be anywhere remotely legal, then there's trying to convince your insurance company they are safe. In most cases they will void your policy as they were not factory fitted.

• Like 1

I've been running LED sidelights in mine since new (4 years), just get canbus safe ones, no flickering or issues at all, still on originals

Same for Indicators, fog, puddle and reverse, All can bus safe LEDs with no issues

Also LEDs in fogs H11 and full beam H1, you can use focccus to turn off can bus checks or use can bus safe leds

Don't try and run H7 Leds in dips, you'll never get a good pattern unless projectors, even without the legal issues. also the standard bulb holders on the focus will not accept anything with any bulk outside the mounting flange (i.e. a heat sink or fan unit)

Don't try and run ballasts either, waste of time, always just run canbus safe leds with the resisters built in, end of problem

• Like 2

Thanks for the input guys.  I'll update the first post but I can't seem to edit it at the moment?

Hmm. I can't seem to edit the first post at all - there's no option for this.  Is this disabled by mods?

• 2 years later...
On 6/22/2017 at 12:19 PM, madmole said:

I've been running LED sidelights in mine since new (4 years), just get canbus safe ones, no flickering or issues at all, still on originals

Same for Indicators, fog, puddle and reverse, All can bus safe LEDs with no issues

Also LEDs in fogs H11 and full beam H1, you can use focccus to turn off can bus checks or use can bus safe leds

Don't try and run H7 Leds in dips, you'll never get a good pattern unless projectors, even without the legal issues. also the standard bulb holders on the focus will not accept anything with any bulk outside the mounting flange (i.e. a heat sink or fan unit)

Don't try and run ballasts either, waste of time, always just run canbus safe leds with the resisters built in, end of problem

Hi Stephen, know its an old post but what bulbs you running for dip main and fog, any links?

Thanx

• 1 month later...

Phillips 130% ultimate halogens, blooming good

• 4 months later...

Does the focus use capless bulbs for  ? I.e. ones where there is no metal cap with prongs but moulded glass and wires?

• 3 weeks later...

It uses capless for the rear reversing lights.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club