Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Possible purchase

SomersetSB

Hi Folks,

Its my first time posting on the forum as I'm seriously looking at getting a Ford Edge.

However the forum makes for grim reading. There appear to be a lot of reliability issues experienced by drivers.( I currently drive toyotas)

I've also noticed there appear to be scant deals to be had, I drive about 17k a year. I'm not in the business of putting down huge deposits to go along with big monthly payments.

I'd be delighted to hear other people's experience if possible.

Thanks 

SB

• Like 1

Has mine nearly 4 months and love it. Few tiny little niggles with the gadgets but nothing serious. I goes well and it looks good. 

Had mine 3 months now & also love it, few minor niggles but my biggest moan is directed at the local Ford dealership service department who are pretty useless. But don't buy one as I like the fact I hardly see any other edges on the road 😝 stick to a Toyota haha

• Like 1

Just remember that car forums are generally frequented by 2 sorts of people.  Those with issues to air and those looking for advice.  Very few of those with no problems frequent any car forum.  If you think this forum makes grim reading have a quick look at the Disco Sport one then go out and order your Edge.

Like Neil I also love mine after 4 months.  No major niggles but one piece of advice I'd offer, if you can afford it add the LED lights.  I didn't and compared to my last car (Mondeo) the head lights are sh#te!

Same here got mine early , few niggles but they have been sorted now. Wouldn`t swop it looks or performance wise for anything in the same price bracket. Do agree with Jim about the LED lights, mine looks like a couple of candles for daytime running lights and not much better when it gets dark !! 

Had my Sport 6 months, no issues other than I should have got the LED headlight option! Great car to drive, looks awesome and plenty of toys for the money.

I agree with earlier comments about forum contributors ... generally the happy customers dont comment, so you will find a few issues with a few cars, but you get that with any car! If the drive and reliability of my Focus, Kuga and Edge are anything to go by ... I'd highly recommend one.

I doubt that there is often much to choose between most manufacturers now a days (with some notable exceptions as mentioned above!). Most cars in the price range are reliable, comfortable and well equipped.

I've had my Edge for 3 months and 3000 miles and can totally agree with everything posted so far in this thread! I love my Edge. There are things that I might change about it (LED lights as standard, for one!) but it depends what you are comparing it to. A BMW X5 it isn't, but for the price I don't think there's anything to beat the Edge.

My previous car was a Kuga TItanium X and it would be impossible not to compare the two cars. There were features on the Kuga that were better than those on the Edge (e.g. Voices on Sync2, amazing headlamps with LED DRLs, etc) but overall I feel that Edge is the better car. Better seats, driving position, gadgets... 

My wife bought one of the first EcoSports in UK. The car was slated by the motoring press, but she loved it. Compared to her previous Ford Ka's the car was brilliant. So good, in fact, that she's now about to order her third one...

As expressed earlier, I have encountered electrical gremlins, but these are software related and my local dealer is out of their depth... others have had these software gremlins sorted by their dealer. 

Would I buy another? Hell, yeah! Next time though, I would want the LEDs...

All of the above! Had mine since September, love it. Hate the arrogant, patronising twerp at the dealers. He thinks he can BS me.........he can't!!!

Done around 7k including towing a caravan. It's a great car.

I have the LED lights, they're brilliant in all senses of the word.

1 hour ago, kelvin1950 said:

I have the LED lights, they're brilliant in all senses of the word.

That's just rubbing it in Kelvin! 😁

Had a few small niggles with mine which has all been sorted out. Overall very happy with it and as above make sure you get the LED lights as they are great. 

Thanks folks that information is really helpful. I had read about the headlight issue so I'm aware I would need to sort accordingly. Agreed about the disco sports there are some absolute horror stories.

Going back to the deal part of my query , I'm assuming everyone is on PCPs? I noted Evans halshaws are doing 379 down and 379 a month for a zetec on 6k miles a year. Not bad me thinks after having quotes of 8k deposit and 600 a month for sport on 17k a year.

Without disclosing your own finances has anyone got any tips and advice on the deals front ?

• Like 1

Bought mine cash with a armed forced discount, Got about 6k off.

You can try carwow to get a general idea.

In the end I found the whole thing a bit too much to Shell out on a Ford (coming from someone who has always had Fords) 

Yeah that's my prob. I love the look but I get the great British public don't share my love of fords so depreciation is catastrophic. Therefor the deals don't add up 😔

Although not everyones cup of tea. The Vignale came in 20-30 cheaper on monthlies than the sport due to residuals. When using Carwow.

Bought mine part cash part personal loan. Also got a significant military discount as did Jim.

There's some good second hand deals on ex demos-.plenty of sports around the £28 k mark with a thousand miles or so. 

Not a car I intend to sell quickly as I think early depreciation will be quite heavy- but after 5 years or so I'm hoping it will even out. 

Ive been a bit spoilt with depriciation- I also have a mk2 Focus RS Which at 8 years old has retained around 80% of its value

• Like 1