Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Noob question about programming a new remote key

dgi_n

When I got my Fiesta 2008-2012, 1.25L Duratec DOHC EFI(80PS), Vision from an auction it didn't come with any remote keys, so I naturally assumed that it didn't have remote locking. However, the keys I received are quite clearly spares or replacement ones.

After checking my vehicle summary on FordEtis, it says that my car is "With Door Entry Remote Control Unit" - I think it's fair to assume that this means my car can have remote keys.

When I phoned my local Ford dealer they gave my a quote of around £200 to get new remote keys. I think that's maybe a bit too much to pay for small luxury.

Reading the manual for my car makes it seem like a piece of cake to programme a new key - I just buy the key I want, get it cut, and then program it myself- Is it that easy??

Will it not work because the two keys I have don't have remote features? Will programming it like this cause any problems for the immobiliser?

Thanks for any help.

You can program keys to central locking but immobiliser part is way more involved.
You can do it yourself using software called Forscan but better using a proper Auto Locksmith.
Cheaper than Ford dealership plus they come to you.
The Ford quote is for supplying the key but add about £100 for cutting and coding, an hours labour and obligatory diagnostic they always insist is essential.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks.

Will I need any other equipment to use this Forscan?
What about if I just tape my old key under the steering wheel? Would that be close enough to disable the immobiliser? :laugh:

1 hour ago, dgi_n said:

What about if I just tape my old key under the steering wheel? Would that be close enough to disable the immobiliser?

For PATs programming using Forscan, you need a Windows Laptop (the phone apps won't do it, I believe), and a good, USB ELM327. You also need to be able to follow the quite complex procedure. Errors can result in no key able to start the car!

See: http://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=839

for a bit more info.

If the new key contained no PATs chip, then having your old key very close to the ignition barrel should enable you to start the car, but it will also enable anyone else to, if you left the key in! If the new key does contain a chip (they often do), then it would probably confuse the system, and not be able to read the old key. It uses the RFID system, a very short range RF transmission system.

On some keys it is possible to change the fob (with the remote control), keeping the key blade & PATs chip. Or just get a fob, and use your old keys to start the car.

Another way, if you can locate the PATs chip in your existing key, is to transfer it to the new key. The PATs chip is entirely separate to the remote control (for keyed entry & start cars, but keyfree systems are more complex.)

The PATs chip used to be a little glass vial, but is usually a small, flatish, plastic insert now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dgi_n said:

Thanks.

What about if I just tape my old key under the steering wheel? Would that be close enough to disable the immobiliser? :laugh:

Leaving the immobiliser key (and chip) in the vehicle defeats the purpose of the immobiliser - meaning anyone with any knowledge will be able to overcome the steering lock, and ignition wiring, and start the car.

Your insurers, if they learned this had happened and the vehicle stolen, would probably not pay out also.

• Like 2

Are there any bluetooth OBD/ELM327 tools on eBay that people would recommend?

My mate said he just bought one from China on amazon for £100+ and he had to send it back because it was useless.

5 hours ago, dgi_n said:

Bluetooth OBD/ELM327 tools on eBay that people would recommend?

The Tunnelrat ELM237s have been reported to work well by several people, and are stated to be compatible with Forscan and ELMConfig.

http://www.spanglefish.com/TunnelratElectronics/index.asp?pageid=516992

(Steve Elmer sells on eBay, and seems to be the same dealer, but is only selling the USB version there at the moment.)

£100 is completely ridiculous for a Chinese ELM, not right at all!

• Like 2

I have a Steve Elmer modified ELM cable which I used to activate nav on my mk3.5 Focus ST with no connection problems whatsoever.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Does he only sell cables?

A bluetooth one would be a bit easier for me.

N.B. My mate's one wasn't Chinese. I think he just assumed that the higher price meant it would work better

Beware with the bluetooth adapters and doing anything that takes a little while, especially with Elmconfig. If the connection drops, and it's doing something (like programming a module), then bad things will happen.

• Like 2