Do Not Sell My Personal Information

HEATER PROBLEM

LEWDAN

Hi all, i am a newbie on this forum that needs some help from you knowledgable guys ;)

The heater on my focus 1.8tddi is not working correctly, i can leave the engine idling for 10 min or more and the temp gauge does not go much above cold setting and heaters blow cold air :angry: if i then drive the car say 5 miles the engine temp gauge will show normal but heaters will only blow luke warm :angry: also as the temp gauge goes below normal the heater seems to get colder..

Bit baltic going to work in the morning :lol:

Any help / ideas please.

Lewdan

Sounds like it's buggered to me mate. Best just chuck it in the bin yeah?

Remember that chat we had a few weeks back? It would seem not...

To the OP - sorry I can't help much, you need one of our more technical members, but we have a few.

Ford heaters are notorious for being useless - but it's often not the heater itself but the control circuitry/switches.

well in this weather idling the car wont get the temp up much it sounds like it could be a thermostat problem to me ie the thermostats stuck open so the coolant is flowing even with the engine cold making it difficult to get any temp in the engine.the thermostat should open and close at set temperatures this keeps the engine temp running at its optimum but if its stuck open then theres no regulation at all as a result with the heater on a high temp what little heat there is in the engine youre basically taking it away so the blower will go cold again my bets the thermostat mate

sorry Dan :-)

It seems we are getting a lot of people only signing up for free help at the mo, never to be seen again. The old "heater not working" post has been done about 100 times already, OP would have got an identical solution to the above by doing a search. Then when it's fixed he'll be gone without being any use to anyone.

It seems we are getting a lot of people only signing up for free help at the mo, never to be seen again. The old "heater not working" post has been done about 100 times already, OP would have got an identical solution to the above by doing a search. Then when it's fixed he'll be gone without being any use to anyone.

Forums without members aren't forums - hardly anyone goes out and thinks 'I know, I'll join a Ford owners forum today' they think 'I've just ordered a Fiesta/my heater's broken/what's the best wax for my car' if they then get a friendly reception, they may well stay. If they get a flippant response, there are far less likely to return again later. Be friendly to all - OR simply leave others to post on threads like this.

It'll be a knackered heater matrix or thermostat, probably the matrix

Good luck man, especially braving these inclement temperatures!

:)

I have seen the error of my ways Dan. I'll just go boil my head.

I promise I will never again do a post that says

Sorry mate but this is totally the wrong attitude to have when replying to posts especially regarding new members!!!. Just remember Everyone is a newbie at some point, and if they all had responses like your not many would revisit. I have only recently got my ford and when i asked some mates regarding the problem this site was mentioned as a good place to gain information ( thats what forums are all about!! )At a guess i would say that 90% of people on this site joined to gain info about their vehicles or problems, and i suspect this will continue... Any way you know nothing about me, or my intentions regarding use of this forum so best keep stupid comments to yourself people join for help and sensible advice as i think most people will supply.

LD

Sorry mate but this is totally the wrong attitude to have when replying to posts especially regarding new members!!!. Just remember Everyone is a newbie at some point, and if they all had responses like your not many would revisit. I have only recently got my ford and when i asked some mates regarding the problem this site was mentioned as a good place to gain information ( thats what forums are all about!! )At a guess i would say that 90% of people on this site joined to gain info about their vehicles or problems, and i suspect this will continue... Any way you know nothing about me, or my intentions regarding use of this forum so best keep stupid comments to yourself people join for help and sensible advice as i think most people will supply.

LD

"Sorry mate" It was never my intention to upset you. I would have thought it was obvious that what I said in post #2 was a joke, you really really need to get a sence of humour. Did you really think that somebody who had been a member of this forum for over 10 months with a post count in excess of thirteen hundred is being serious when he suggests you "chuck it (you car) in the bin". Did you honestly think that anybody would post that as a serious suggestion? It's clearly a joke. tbh if you can't take a joke then thats your problem not mine.

Also, tbh, imo, i really dont think you are in any position to write the above post laying the law down. You have been on the forum for all of a couple of hours! Lighten up and learn to take a joke for what its worth :) Trust me!

I should point out that this isn't a grim grey forum full of nothing but boring mechanical knowledge. This is as stated in the title bar the "Ford Owners Club" and we discuss all sorts of stuff here! If it aint the place for you then you know what you can do...

"Sorry mate" It was never my intention to upset you. I would have thought it was obvious that what I said in post #2 was a joke, you really really need to get a sence of humour. Did you really think that somebody who had been a member of this forum for over 10 months with a post count in excess of thirteen hundred is being serious when he suggests you "chuck it (you car) in the bin". Did you honestly think that anybody would post that as a serious suggestion? It's clearly a joke. tbh if you can't take a joke then thats your problem not mine.

Also, tbh, imo, i really dont think you are in any position to write the above post laying the law down. You have been on the forum for all of a couple of hours! Lighten up and learn to take a joke for what its worth :) Trust me!

I should point out that this isn't a grim grey forum full of nothing but boring mechanical knowledge. This is as stated in the title bar the "Ford Owners Club" and we discuss all sorts of stuff here! If it aint the place for you then you know what you can do...

Not accepted mate!! seems you have stepped out of line before refering to reply by DanGull, also in your appology to DanGull post #6 you are making accusations against someone you dont know, which in my mind confirms that the reply in post#2 was not ment as a joke because you then try to justify your remarks . As i have already said many more people may want to join this forum but replies like yours do no favours for this site---and that is your problem

i do have a very good sence of humour--i must have to reply :rolleyes::rolleyes: :P

Ok guys can we please let this one go, if you dont agree with each other then sort it out elsewhere.

now back onto the original topic, it sounds like your thermostat is stuck open. this would cause symptoms like you have. I think a replacement part is around £10-£15 from ford. should take less than half an hour to replace i would imagine.

Hi and welcome to the club.

As MOD i feel it is my duty to apologise for the hostile comments and i hope you will continue to use the forum.

Regards

Vinnyvangough

Hi and welcome to the club.

As MOD i feel it is my duty to apologise for the hostile comments and i hope you will continue to use the forum.

Regards

Vinnyvangough

Sure will :) Water under the bridge as they say!! Thanks to all for the info supplied, Regarding my heater fault the majority of replies point to a thermostat fault , ill change it asap and let you know how i get on...

Cheers

LD

Hi All,

Im a bit wet behind ears here myself :b

My heater is not the best but dose warm the car.

How easy (or not) is the thermostat to get to and change? (I have a 1.6 2004)

I would go and have a look but its -12.3 Brrrr

Hi All,

Im a bit wet behind ears here myself :b

My heater is not the best but dose warm the car.

How easy (or not) is the thermostat to get to and change? (I have a 1.6 2004)

I would go and have a look but its -12.3 Brrrr

the focus heater was stated as not being the best either it blows too much or not enough

try a new thermostat, there easy to change,, one will cost you around £11

Thanks for the info, I agree is hard to get a happy medium. I had a look and saw where I think the thermostat is, it looks like it is below the Distrubuter. Please feel free to correct me if Im talking noncence lol

also Would that be £11 for a proper Ford thermostat?

Sure will :) Water under the bridge as they say!! Thanks to all for the info supplied, Regarding my heater fault the majority of replies point to a thermostat fault , ill change it asap and let you know how i get on...

Cheers

LD

Hi all. Finally got round to changing the thermostat :rolleyes: things have improved a little but heaters not getting as hot as they should :angry: i have now noticed that the cooling fan seems to be cutting in before the engine reaches normal working temp, is it possible that i now have a faulty temp sensor that is causing this to happen?? if so where is it located on the engine? Bit annoying because the engine is running well otherwise went for a run yesterday did 170 miles with no probs .

Is there something else i can check. Any ideas appreciated..

LD

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club