• Huge Range of Ford Parts
      Huge Range of Ford Parts
    • Share Your Car Experience
      Share Your Car Experience
    • Get Your Club gear
      Get Your Club gear
    • Savings Up to 15% Off For Members
      Savings Up to 15% Off For Members
    • 1000's Of Fords For Sale
      1000's Of Fords For Sale
    • Join Premium & Save
      Join Premium & Save


caffeinehigh

Focus MK2 speaker replacement

Recommended Posts

The rear Speakers in my 2007 focus have never worked since I've owned it. My dad got his multimeter on the wiring today and tested it and wiring to the Speakers seems fine.

So I am presuming the Speakers are blown. Can anyone recommend some Speakers that will go in? I'm not looking to spend a fortune, just a set with half decent sound quality. By the looks of it you also need an adapter to raise the height of the speaker too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

When you say the wiring is fine, did you check resistance for each speaker pair? (You should get 2ohm to 32ohm ish).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vibe are great Speakers I have them in my mk1 butbi have to use adapters to convert from 5x7 to 6" but not ßure the size of mk2 Speakers


Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used vibe Speakers in mine from eBay they fit in on top of the old ones once you cut the middle out of them leaving the case 

they sound even better now I have a non ford head 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My rear Speakers on my mk2.5 stopped working I replaced both this weekend with some aftermarket Speakers.  Quite a lengthy job took me 3 hours for the first speaker and 1.5 hours for the second.  Door panel removing is fiddly.

I cut the guts out of the old ford Speakers and used the shell to mount the new Speakers in.  I also wired the new Speakers to the factory plugs to avoid cutting any wiring.  I tested both Speakers with my multi meter and both had died.  

I also tested the wiring and the factory head unit to ensure there weren't any problems elsewhere.  You can also test your Speakers with a 1.5v battery and apply the voltage across the positive and negative speaker terminals.  If all ok you will get a pop, if the Speakers are dead you wont get any sound.

The only downside is the new Speakers sound loads better than the fronts so I think these will need doing aswell now lol.  I will also be sound deadening the door as the metal the Speakers are mounted in is very thin.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, MrRedman said:

I used vibe Speakers in mine from eBay they fit in on top of the old ones once you cut the middle out of them leaving the case 

they sound even better now I have a non ford head 👍

Do you have a link? How do they fix in place once fitted on too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Micro said:

When you say the wiring is fine, did you check resistance for each speaker pair? (You should get 2ohm to 32ohm ish).

Yes I believe so. My dad did the testing with his multimeter. I remember him mentioning resistance but can't remember what the reading was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, JONATHAN_11_80 said:

My rear Speakers on my mk2.5 stopped working I replaced both this weekend with some aftermarket Speakers.  Quite a lengthy job took me 3 hours for the first speaker and 1.5 hours for the second.  Door panel removing is fiddly.

I cut the guts out of the old ford Speakers and used the shell to mount the new Speakers in.  I also wired the new Speakers to the factory plugs to avoid cutting any wiring.  I tested both Speakers with my multi meter and both had died.  

I also tested the wiring and the factory head unit to ensure there weren't any problems elsewhere.  You can also test your Speakers with a 1.5v battery and apply the voltage across the positive and negative speaker terminals.  If all ok you will get a pop, if the Speakers are dead you wont get any sound.

The only downside is the new Speakers sound loads better than the fronts so I think these will need doing aswell now lol.  I will also be sound deadening the door as the metal the Speakers are mounted in is very thin.

 

It took me quite a while to work out how to get the door panel off. It was rather fiddly! But now I've done it the other side should be ok. So long as I don't break any of the clips .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They screwed with self tappers to the plastic casing of the original Speakers makes putting the door card on a little harder but it's a nice tight fit when done I bought spare clips and a removal tool from eBay before I started as your bound to break a clip or 2 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MrRedman said:

They screwed with self tappers to the plastic casing of the original Speakers makes putting the door card on a little harder but it's a nice tight fit when done I bought spare clips and a removal tool from eBay before I started as your bound to break a clip or 2 

Excellent thanks. Final question guys. I've read I need 6.5" Speakers front and rear. Component for the front and coaxial for the back (no idea what the difference is). Is that right? And does component/coaxial matter?

If a bought two sets of these one for front and one for rear would they do the job?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi mate the clips and the removal tool are cheap by the way 

yeah not sure which Speakers they were 6.5x6.5 I think but  when using with the ford head unit they were Dull//Quiet but I've fitted a Sony and they seem better although I'm led to believe the sound emphasis is for the front Speakers to do the work anyway?! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's the pictures 

you can see how I've cut it out then the last one is the vibe Speakers in place 👍

IMG_5690.JPG

IMG_5691.JPG

IMG_5692.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks! I've been looking at the clips and bits on eBay so will pick some up.

Looks like a tidy job! They fit in place just nice. Still not sure about the component / coaxial thing for front and rear but I'll do some reading. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Component Speakers have a separate tweeter and will give you a better sound quality and clarity (compared to the equivalent coaxial speaker).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Dan. So is it right that you need to use component for the front and coax for the back? Or are two sets of the same type going to sound fine?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could put coaxial in the front as well. Decent coaxial will probably be better than the original Speakers but component in the front would be best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now