Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How to fit new shock absorbers?

Jeremyc

Hey guys,

I'm fitting new wishbones and shock absorbers this weekend. I've never fit a shock absorber before though. Anyone have information about doing it? If you've done it can you confirm if i'll need a coil compressor or not or if the coil can transfer over to the new shock absorber 

thanks

Is this on the mk2 in your profile?

yes you will need a spring compressor 

Yes and have you done it before?

4 minutes ago, Jeremyc said:

Yes and have you done it before?

Done many hundreds of springs lol and a good few on mk2 focus

Just now, stef123 said:

Done many hundreds of springs lol and a good few on mk2 focus

Any tips for the shock absorbers then

4 minutes ago, Jeremyc said:

Any tips for the shock absorbers then

Not really any tips specific to the focus that I can think of. Usual stuff though, remove drop link, brake hose, abs sensor wire, pinch bolt - I tend to heat the pinch bolt as they can be very tight! 6 point socket only for that and it's 15mm. 

I tend to hammer the knuckle down then unbolt the shock but I have done it in the past by unbolting shock mount and knocking the shock upwards out of the knuckle. A wedge in the back of the knuckle helps too.

I would recommend using a new pinch bolt and nut for the knuckle and a new tennon nut for the top mount to damper fixing 

10 minutes ago, TangoDaz said:

I would recommend using a new pinch bolt and nut for the knuckle and a new tennon nut for the top mount to damper fixing 

The reality is no one does though lol. Pinch bolt doesn't have a nut either, the Knuckle is threaded. 

sorry getting confused with the setup on land rovers but still best to replace bolt anyway as they aren't that expensive 

Spring compressors are a necessity, and the only reason I don't attempt any jobs involving them myself!

• Like 2

Went on  a treat today. Yes spring compressors are needed. For some reason I thought they were going to be very expensive but got a good heavy duty one for £15 from local shop. Used a jack to get the new shocks on knuckle though

2 hours ago, Jeremyc said:

Went on  a treat today. Yes spring compressors are needed. For some reason I thought they were going to be very expensive but got a good heavy duty one for £15 from local shop. Used a jack to get the new shocks on knuckle though

Which compressor did you buy? 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club