Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fusion Front heated windscreen

bt_cav

Hi All, Im looking to find out if anyone else has had this fault. Only one side (Passenger) of the heated front windscerrn is working. I have checked to see if either of the two fueses (30 amp) were blowen but they are both fine.

I did look under the bonnet to see if I could see any wiering to the windscreen but Im guessing it is hidden under the plastic pannel beneth the wipers??

I did notice there was some air/dampness at the bottem of the windscreen (drivers side corner) I didnt think the element wires went all the way into the corners so not sure if this would effect it. there may be more below the the Plastic pannel out of sight.

Any thought??

:(

hello and welcome to the forum :)

i suspect it might be a relay or perhaps the wires on the windscreen itself may have been damaged?

was just about to say fuses but I just re-read and have seen that you have checked them... Sometimes the fuses look ok though even when they have broken so maybe replace them anyway just to be sure as this will be the easiest and cheapest way of fixing the problem

Hi its good to be part of the club :)

I have looked for images online for fusion heated windscreens but not found any, when the weather gets better I`ll have a walk round the scrap yard and see if there are any fusions with the panel removed to see where the wires connect on to the windscreen, maybe try and get a photo to post here ;) in the mean time I`ll try a couple of new fuses.

Thanks guys

Hi its good to be part of the club :)

I have looked for images online for fusion heated windscreens but not found any, when the weather gets better I`ll have a walk round the scrap yard and see if there are any fusions with the panel removed to see where the wires connect on to the windscreen, maybe try and get a photo to post here ;) in the mean time I`ll try a couple of new fuses.

Thanks guys

if its possible that one of the fuses has blown but you just cant see it, try swapping them and see if it has the opposite affect on the windscreen?

Thats a good idea, more so since they are small fuses which I dont have any of at the moment.

• 5 years later...

Hi its good to be part of the club smile.gif

I have looked for images online for fusion heated windscreens but not found any, when the weather gets better I`ll have a walk round the scrap yard and see if there are any fusions with the panel removed to see where the wires connect on to the windscreen, maybe try and get a photo to post here wink.gif in the mean time I`ll try a couple of new fuses.

Thanks guys

Been under the panel in my 53 plate fusion the wires are no under it.

The fusion is long gone, and never did get to a scrap yard.... I guess the wires would be at the corners of the screen but its only a guess.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Where can i find the fuses as i also have this problem?

Thanks

Hi. Thanks for that. Found them. Problem is that my windscreen has defrosted now so i dont know if it works.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Mine has failed now, damn it. There is always something wrong with my Fusion...

Fuses seem intact and relay clicking on.

Any experts on this for the Fusion (I know there are specific drivers side problems with the Focus - but mine isn't working at all)

Why is it when something goes wrong with the windscreen its always the drivers side. Heated windscreen, wipers, stone chip etc. As it hasnt been frosty since i havent been able to check mine

Ive just done a bit of research and the general answer is the wiper arm on the driver side is fouling and damaging the ribbon. Now that is on the focus but it may be worth checking on the fusion. When I get chance I may well take the scuttle panel off and have a look at whats going on.

• 1 month later...

I'm having the same problem on mine. When I got my fusion the heated wind screen didn't work brilliantly. But now it doesn't work at all. I've checked the fuses and they both appear to be fine. When I turn it on I can hear a click so I assume the relay still works. Why do ford make these components so fragile? Is it so you have 2 choices when it inevitably breaks? Put up with it or spend a fortune on a new windscreen?

• Like 1

I had a look at this a few weeks ago but didn't want to take the scuttle panel off as it looked quite difficult so i have just left it as is

This is on the list for my next repair....,, hope it's an easy one?

No need to take the scuttle panel off. The connections to the heating elements are in fact behind the plastic trim on the screen pillars on the inside of the car. You can see the foil parts, covered in kapton tape, sticking out on my Fusion below. If it's like the Fiesta then behind the plastic should be a connector that may have come loose. I have the same issue on mine with only the passenger side defrosting. Going to have a look at the driver's side tomorrow :)

IMG_20160116_1939012_zps9gliyjl9.jpg

IMG_20160116_1937282_zpsz9p43ahq.jpg

Interesting...let us know how you get on :)

Keep us upto date or even just tell how to get the plastic trim of the pillar

So I had a look this morning. Stuck my fingers in behind the top of the trim with the help of a flathead screwdriver and just pulled basically (carefully).

Trim piece comes off like so

IMG_20160117_110804_zps1rqozkkp.jpg

IMG_20160117_110741_zpsjofkzebf.jpg

There are some 'teeth' at the bottom of the trim (far right of top picture) but it's not fixed there. There are three saw-tooth type clips/pegs on the backside of the trim that slide into some plastic fixed into the pillar.

IMG_20160117_110756_zpslhxdliuc.jpg

I actually broke one when I took the trim off; but I got the clip part out of the hole it goes into and slid it back into the trim (It's now missing one of the flaps that hold it in though)

IMG_20160117_111823_zps5hsqepi3.jpg

So now you should be able to see the two connectors for the right side of the screen, earth at the top

IMG_20160117_111253_zps3mycaiuw.jpg

IMG_20160117_111228_zpsi1loivht.jpg

Now mine were both still connected, the metal ribbons were intact and I tested across the two connections with a multimeter with the screen on and it was definitely getting power (14 and a bit volts) so maybe my fault is to do with the screen itself.

By this point there was hardly any snow/ice still on the screen so I couldn't test it.

• Like 1

Very interesting, may I ask what year your fusion Is?

Also is the green cable the earth or is where the connectors bolt on to the metal frame the earth?

Thanks,

Green cable nothing to do with heated screen, earthing point is the bolt, and live is the pink, as the prevoius post says, easy way to check screen operation is with multimeter at those connections.

Very interesting, may I ask what year your fusion Is?

Also is the green cable the earth or is where the connectors bolt on to the metal frame the earth?

Thanks,

2004 I believe, '04 plate :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club