Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Headlight Tinting!

JKSEN

Hi, 

I'd really like to tint my headlights but some people say it's illegal and some say it's fine! I don't want to do anything that will get me pulled. Does anyone know about tinting headlights and where I can get them done or buy the tint myself?

Thanks in advance

Its not illegal per we, bit the lights must maintain their original colour in use and not be reduced in output by more than 50%.

I'm partial to bit of modding myself, but lights are so safety critical this isn't something I'd ever do.  That they may just be legal is small consolation when someone crashes into you in the fog, but its your car.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, JKSEN said:

Hi, 

I'd really like to tint my headlights but some people say it's illegal and some say it's fine! I don't want to do anything that will get me pulled. Does anyone know about tinting headlights and where I can get them done or buy the tint myself?

Thanks in advance

Same thing was just asked 2 weeks ago! Take a look here -> 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jethro_Tull said:

Its not illegal per we, bit the lights must maintain their original colour in use and not be reduced in output by more than 50%.

I'm partial to bit of modding myself, but lights are so safety critical this isn't something I'd ever do.  That they may just be legal is small consolation when someone crashes into you in the fog, but its your car.

1 hour ago, Russ said:

Same thing was just asked 2 weeks ago! Take a look here -> 

Thanks for the replies!

• Like 1

HI , you can use the 'fly eye' wrap.

its a honeycomb wrap available in various colours and mot compliant

It's pretty crap stuff to work with and doesn't look great IMO I had it on my rear lights (previous car) and from a distance looked ok but close up looked awful. They did not really change the light output and the reflector still worked so as @captpicard says it is MOT compliant. But, as @Jethro_Tull says, with lights being so important I wouldn't bother touching the front with a tint. How would you feel about removing the units and baking them, opening them and spraying the inside black? Obviously not any of the reflective surfaces though. That would give you a better look.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

How would you feel about removing the units and baking them, opening them and spraying the inside black? Obviously not any of the reflective surfaces though. That would give you a better look.

Mine are black inside from factory OEM and looking at any other  ST MK2 like mine  that's is  often  all silver I really do prefer the black internal .And people  with other MK2 ST often ask where I got them from as theirs is silver. In my case the car is panther black so it sort of  matches .I presume but don't quote me that you probably could paint them inside to any colour to match you car in your case white to match I have seen this at some custom mod workshops. This may be not what you are looking for but woth a look

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

It's pretty crap stuff to work with and doesn't look great IMO I had it on my rear lights (previous car) and from a distance looked ok but close up looked awful. They did not really change the light output and the reflector still worked so as @captpicard says it is MOT compliant. But, as @Jethro_Tull says, with lights being so important I wouldn't bother touching the front with a tint. How would you feel about removing the units and baking them, opening them and spraying the inside black? Obviously not any of the reflective surfaces though. That would give you a better look.

7 hours ago, Gizza11 said:

How would you feel about removing the units and baking them, opening them and spraying the inside black? Obviously not any of the reflective surfaces though. That would give you a better look.

Mine are black inside from factory OEM and looking at any other  ST MK2 like mine  that's is  often  all silver I really do prefer the black internal .And people  with other MK2 ST often ask where I got them from as theirs is silver. In my case the car is panther black so it sort of  matches .I presume but don't quote me that you probably could paint them inside to any colour to match you car in your case white to match I have seen this at some custom mod workshops. This may be not what you are looking for but woth a look

I wouldn't dare open them up myself. I love the idea of the inside being black but I wouldn't want to take the risk. I'll just have to save up and buy myself some already black ones maybe. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, captpicard said:

I thought about that, but I've heard a lot of people saying that it creases really easily. I'm a little OCD when it comes to that stuff lol :P

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JKSEN said:

I thought about that, but I've heard a lot of people saying that it creases really easily. I'm a little OCD when it comes to that stuff lol :P

Yes I've seen poorly fitted fly eye and it really is nasty (all wrinkled like parts of me that we won't mention lol) when done wrong but when done right it looks pretty good. Maybe paying someone to do it for you then if its wrong you can take it back.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JKSEN said:

Heat up and work the same as wrapping no problems

• Like 2

Heat up and work the same as wrapping no problems

Heat is definitely the key

• Like 1

how about getting eye brows they cover a small amount of the top of the light, look better than tint/fly eye whilst giving it the meaner look i guess your trying to get.

pic is off google not my car

IMG_1353_zps38d6cbba.thumb.jpg.d2bd77555fc3ad5824f2ef7a5789b2e8.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, AlexBartlam said:

how about getting eye brows they cover a small amount of the top of the light, look better than tint/fly eye whilst giving it the meaner look i guess your trying to get.

pic is off google not my car

IMG_1353_zps38d6cbba.thumb.jpg.d2bd77555fc3ad5824f2ef7a5789b2e8.jpg

I have been looking at these. I love them! I'll for sure be getting these on my next payday! But before anything, I've gotta get my front bumper resprayed so the car looks better. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club